what happens now.?

meangreen11

It means if you're unhappy with some of them, including say an OC, you're still going to see them next year. . . .

So are you saying that the only way NT will ever replace an assistant coach is after they are hired away? Why would we ever take that attitude. If they aren't performing, they should be gone. That's just the nature of the coaching profession.

So are you saying that the only way NT will ever replace an assistant coach is after they are hired away?  Why would we ever take that attitude.  If they aren't performing, they should be gone.  That's just the nature of the coaching profession.

I don't think he's saying that he agrees, that just seems to be how it happens around here...

Unless you get busted by the cops dry.gif

Edited by Michael Scott

Doesn't matter. They will still have to run DD's offense. It's not like the offense changes when RF leaves. RF played QB under DD at SMUt. Where do you think he learned this offense? The plays still are channelled through DD's headset. He can always change the plays, etc... if he sees fit.

All of this is still in the theoretical, since none of it's official, and I recognize at this point it's all wild speculation.

Replacements:

Well, first, forget any big names. While I may want change in the coaching ranks, you've got to deal with reality there. So here's what you look for:

1) Has to be a step up. So, for an offensive coordinator, you're looking for an offensive coach - RB coach, O-Line coach, something of that ilk OR for an offensive coordinator from a smaller school. Personally, I'd rather not delve into Div 1-AA unless I had to, so I'd be looking at the lesser coaches at bigger schools.

2) Someone with a lot of experience, and hopefully in the South/Southeast. We've got to get somebody familiar with the area of the nation we recruit in AND recruit against. Also, since in this scenario you're looking at a coach with a verty specific task, you want them to have experience at a number of offensive positions. You don't want someone who's ONLY coached running backs or offensive linemen or quarterbacks.

3) Someone with experience at BIGGER schools. While some of that naturally would come with their current position, I think there's a lot to be said for someone who's been an assistant at a number of BCS schools. They will have worked with great coaches, and you absorb something from what you're around.

4) A coach working in a school in flux. You're more likely to pull from a school where the coaching situation is a little tenuous. Unfortunately, ours is not necessarily stable at the moment.

5) Someone for RV. There are some who believe DD is protected from on high, and that RV is not able to put his stamp on the football program as he would like (I don't know, myself, so I'll leave that for others). Whether or not that IS the case, I would want/hope for our new offensive coordinator to be MORE tied to what RV wants than Dickey. It's got to carry RV's stamp. Then, it's up to them all to work together. Personally, I don't think this University can quite afford to get rid of DD just yet, as much as I hate to admit it, but I don't believe we will take the next step until we do. Given our situation, you want someone hopefully familiar with RV, or at least with coaches and people RV is familiar with AND (this is very important), the potential to be groomed into a head coaching position. You set yourself in several ways with this: a) It provides you with a possible replacement plan that would NOT effect long-term stability and cool.gif Even if they move on to be a head coach elsewhere, it points to NT as a good stepping stone. While some may not find this ideal, it's a good way to get personnel in, and then it's up to us to keep them here.

Example = Lee Fobbs - RB Coach, Texas A&M. I'm not touting Fobbs as the coach of choice, so all those who will immediately post negatively about him or how we wouldn't be able to get him or whatever can stow it, I'm merely providing someone with the type of resume I'd be looking for, if somebody would promote me from internet goon to AD.

2003: Texas A&M (running backs)

2001-02: Alabama (running backs)

1997-00: Baylor (defensive tackles/running backs)

1996: Minnesota (outside linebackers)

1995: Southern Mississippi (offensive tackles/tight ends)

1994: LSU (defensive ends)

1991-93: Tulane (wide receivers)

1989-90: Louisiana-Monroe (defensive line)

1985-88: Carroll (La.) High School (head coach/athletics director)

1975-84: Wossman (La.) High School (offensive coordinator)

1975: Grambling (graduate assistant)

That's 29 years of coaching experience, including high school. Almost all of it in the Southeast. Familiar with our recruiting rivals and areas. Experience in MAJOR conferences with major teams, with some success (Alabama led the SEC in rushing in 2001, 2nd in total offense in 2002). Although it was only a year, coached at Southern Miss with RV and shares a familiarity with other coaching staff. That's the sort of thing I think we have to look for.

Can we get rid of the entire offensive staff including DD, lump all their salaries together, and just hire Sean Payton?  I think he alone could do a better job than the group we have now.  Maybe we can get a big Get Out the Green fundraiser to make enough to pay Payton for a few years....

Sean Payton? The G-men during the last few years of Fassil's tenure had the worst offense in the NFL. So bad that Fassil stripped Payton of his playcalling duties halfway through the season.

The Cowboys are doing well this year and are doing so with a highly improved defense. The offense is way too conservative, IMO.