How Much Do You Think NT Is Going To Have To

PlummMeanGreen

I'm no expert on construction, but building a stadium at the new location will require a MINIMUM of preparation. There will be no old stadium to tear down or add-to (like SMU and Troy), there will just be dirt to move and utilities to put in, and then build. We should be able to get one (35K to 40K seating) built for around 40 to 50 mil.

Hell I don't know.  But I would bet that if NT had a nickel for every word PMG typed on the subject, we'd have TWO new stadiums by now.

I'd love those 2 new stadiums, too, pollock. biggrin.gif One for day games and the other for night games! LOL!

Hey, my first poll in many weeks rolleyes.gif and my (probably futile) attempt to change the recent thread themes of trying to fill a coach's job position at NT that is not vacant.

I love new stadium talk! I have dreams about our new stadium (like I'd bet many of you have but won't admit to). smile.gif

You all can blame Green Grenade II on my non-stop new stadium over-kill postings because I've looked at several renderings of his projected new stadium for NT for decades! blink.gif (Just kiddin', Rick, as I thought each had merit IMHO).

What I did always like about GGII and his renderings was that at least he dared to dream big and that is something we have not always been accused of doing at NT for the the last half century of our athletic existence.

Even a verse in the the book of Proverbs says (and I paraphrase): "A country without dreams will perish." Ex NT AD Steve Sloan on a rare occasion (I'm sure) when he was not on a Denton area golf course gave me that verse in a letter he sent me years ago when we were entertaining the idea of trying to get back to NCAA D1-A. I have remembered it ever since because it represents many of us on GMG.com who do dream some pretty darn big dreams for our alma mater.

GMG!

PS: If our stadium in its initial phase seats less than 40,000 I think you'd find many disappointed NT Exes on this board and beyond. I like what our new "adopted" UT Longhorn fan (LongJim) posted above. You know, if we get about 10,000 more "non UNT" affiliated fans like LongJim then we better not build that new stadium with less than 50,000 seats.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I love new stadium talk!  I have dreams about our new stadium (like I'd bet many of you have but won't admit to). smile.gif 

Well, I haven't had dreams about it, but I wrack the internet regularly trying to find renderings of what it might look like.

As we left the game last week, I pointed over to Eagle Point and said to my wife: "There's where UNT's new stadium is going to be."

My wife replied wearily: "Yes, Jim. You say that every time we come through here." laugh.gif

PS:  If our stadium in its initial phase seats less than 40,000 I think you'd find many disappointed NT Exes on this board and beyond...we better not build that new stadium with less than 50,000 seats.

You bet! And why not?? Why SHOULDN'T it be bigger, better and badder than GKF, Amon Carter, or Jones?? biggrin.gif

Thanks for that NT80.  I had seen #4 somewhere online--don't know how I missed the rest... rolleyes.gif   (Pays to LOOK IN THE RIGHT PLACE, I guess!)   laugh.gif

There was also a cool video made of the computer-generated new stadium that showed more of the suites and looking from inside out onto the field. Not sure if anyone still has it bookmarked. I don't know why they stopped showing the video or didn't link it on the official site. It seemed like a good sales pitch to me to find possible donors.

As Plumm would say: START THE STADIUM CAMPAIGN!! biggrin.gif

Edited by NT80

If we somehow get 100 million dollars (plumm wins the powerball?) then it needs to go into the endowment and we can bring coaches salaries, operating budgets, etc up to snuff.

The stadium can wait.

Hmmm. huh.gif I had to think about that for a minute... Not a bad idea, but I don't agree with it I guess.

Hmmm.  huh.gif  I had to think about that for a minute... Not a bad idea, but I don't agree with it I guess.

Which is better?

We put a brand new stadium up and then keep paying our HC ~250k, his asst't arent even #1 in the SBC, and the recruiting, operating and promotion budget stay the same.

The HC pay is raised to top non-bcs school levels, the asst. coaches are paid enough that they wont jump ship at the first chance, the promotion budget goes up so we can put up bill boards, radio ads, signs all over campus, and we can give recruits a top non-bcs show on campus. And lets not forget all the extra academic tutoring, computer labs, etc we could get to recruit and retain athletes.

Let's see...Baylor is building a new practice gym for the basketball teams. That price tag is $7.9M:

Basketball Practice Facility Approved By Regents

State-of-the-art facility to be in place for 2006-2007 season.

Sept. 9, 2005

WACO, Texas - Baylor University's Board of Regents today approved plans for a basketball practice facility for the men's and women's basketball programs.

Ground-breaking is expected to begin October 1 on the new $7.9 million state-of-the-art facility. The building, which totals nearly 43,000 square feet, will be an addition to the Ferrell Center which has been home to Baylor basketball since 1988.

"I am grateful to the Board of Regents and our generous donors for making this project a reality," director of athletics Ian McCaw said. "The basketball practice facility will be one of the finest in the nation and will be consistent with the status that our basketball programs have and will reach. This advances one of our highest priorities within the Victory With Integrity Campaign, however, we have much yet to accomplish."

The project is expected to be completed by August in time for the 2006-2007 season and will be a boost for both the men's and women's basketball programs. The new facility will alleviate scheduling conflicts that currently remove the teams from training on the lone existing court during various campus events hosted at the Ferrell Center.

"I know our basketball staff is extremely excited about the addition of a new practice facility," men's coach Scott Drew said. "We know it will make a difference in recruiting and player development. And we thank all the Baylor faithful for once again stepping up to help us reach our goals in the endeavor. Being part of the Baylor family is truly special."

Included in plans for the facility are two full-size practice courts, a 6,600-square foot full-service strength and conditioning center, office suites for the coaching staffs, an entry plaza, a VIP suite and a display corridor.

"I am excited and grateful that the basketball practice facility has been given approval by the Board of Regents," women's coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson said. "It is a facility that is much needed. With a basketball specific facility, we will never be displaced by other events. The new building will help us not only in our daily preparations but will be a tremendous asset in our recruiting of top-caliber student-athletes."

There was also a cool video made of the computer-generated new stadium that showed more of the suites and looking from inside out onto the field.  Not sure if anyone still has it bookmarked.  I don't know why they stopped showing the video or didn't link it on the official site.  It seemed like a good sales pitch to me to find possible donors. 

As Plumm would say:  START THE STADIUM CAMPAIGN!!  biggrin.gif

Does anyone still have the video link ? If so, please post.

Which is better?

We put a brand new stadium up and then keep paying our HC ~250k, his asst't arent even #1 in the SBC, and the recruiting, operating and promotion budget stay the same.

The HC pay is raised to top non-bcs school levels, the asst. coaches are paid enough that they wont jump ship at the first chance, the promotion budget goes up so we can put up bill boards, radio ads, signs all over campus, and we can give recruits a top non-bcs show on campus. And lets not forget all the extra academic tutoring, computer labs, etc we could get to recruit and retain athletes.

blink.gif Yes, I suppose that would also be good. Of course, since the only way this happens is if I win the lottery, the point is moot. Maybe I should pick the numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 ph34r.gif ("lost" inside joke)

Which is better?

We have been told already several times on TV by Jim Donnan that DD has passed over offers from other schools to stay at North Texas, and it's well known that other assistants have too. Evidently there is something here afterall that keeps these individuals wanting to stay.

The Denton ISD athletic director stated last night on ESPN that their new complex is making $50K per year in revenue, not including football events. I think we could do better than that. I say, if we find the money we should build the stadium then utilize some common sense with it's potential to make money and help with performance on and off the field. Therefore, when the stadium gets close to completion, possibly around contract re-negotiation time, make attendance factor into any coaching bonuses.

Rick

We have been told already several times on TV by Jim Donnan that DD has passed over offers from other schools to stay at North Texas, and it's well known that other assistants have too.  Evidently there is something here afterall that keeps these individuals wanting to stay. 

The Denton ISD athletic director stated last night on ESPN that their new complex is making $50K per year in revenue, not including football events.  I think we could do better than that.  I say, if we find the money we should build the stadium then utilize some common sense with it's potential to make money and help with performance on and off the field.  Therefore, when the stadium gets close to completion, possibly around contract re-negotiation time, make attendance factor into any coaching bonuses. 

Rick

The revenue producing aspects of our future new stadium is rarely talked about on GMG.com and that is one of the main reasons we need a new football stadium. cool.gif

In NT's future new football stadium, if you have 20 luxury suites such as the ones shown in the virtual video tour of which there seems to be no link these days (and I randomly picked the number 20); yet if a company leases those at a (modest by today's standards) $25,000 per year clip, our school will make $500,000.00 per year on luxury suites alone.

We have never come close to raising $500,000.00 per year in the Mean Green Club best to my knowledge. Keep in mind, though, that the luxury suites at our new stadium will not be the only way our new football stadium can make money for NT Athletics and our school. (We have pretty well maxed out most of the ways we can produce revenue with Fouts Field).

As I recall, it seems Troy U officials said they all but sold out their luxury suites almost from the time they started turning dirt for their new stadium. There I go again, talking about the SBC's version of "The Little Engine That Could" (and is most definitely doing). wink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

• 3 years later...

I think the total cost of the stadium will be somewhere between $80 - $95 million, but if it's more, even better. I don't mind the stadium only seating 30,000 for now, as long as the thing is done top of the line. People should see the best of everything when they walk in any part of the place. I want the lighting to be so good, you can't find a shadow during night games. This stadium is expandable, so we won't be building another to replace it, at least not in our lifetimes. We need to make sure it is done to the highest standards of today. Not to do this would be one of our programs greatest mistakes ever. I want a stadium that people leave saying, "Wow, I didn't realize UNT built such a great stadium!", and "Their stadium is alot nicer then ours". When ESPN finally comes back to broadcast one of our home games, their people should leave saying, "Wow, this place has the best of everything!". I want to here the guys on Gameday say that they want to work a game from UNT, and say how great the facilities are.

I hope I never have to see ESPN bring in extra lighting again, like they did for the Troy game a few years ago. That was sad and embarrassing!

I don't care what it cost. Build the best expandable stadium in the country!