Doesn't even look like Rogers will start at Cal

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Even playing college football is not about playing football.  It is about being a good enough player to warrant a scholarship for a free education that you can use in life towards a real career.   Earning $$ while playing college sports is diluting the meaning of being in college.

can't get past the fact that the colleges/NCAA/media are BANKING on these players' abilties/performance.

• Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:35 AM, NT80 said:

Exactly.  Has anyone ever seen any current college athlete marketing anything??  In print, video, anything?  I can't recall a single one.  Yet thousands are getting NIL.  For doing what....playing for a specific school.  That's it.

Caitlin Clark begs to disagree.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, GBarksdale said:

Caitlin Clark begs to disagree.

As stated, this does not count. She's the premier athlete of her game and has been offered $5 million to join the Big 3 basketball for a single season after college. No other college basketball player, male or female, has had that kind of offer. One does not represent the thousands of college basketball players there are.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:35 PM, NT80 said:

Exactly.  Has anyone ever seen any current college athlete marketing anything??  In print, video, anything?  I can't recall a single one.  Yet thousands are getting NIL.  For doing what....playing for a specific school.  That's it.

Community, in-person appearances can be part of the deal, right? And there doesn't have to be media coverage.

• Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Community, in-person appearances can be part of the deal, right? And there doesn't have to be media coverage.

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right.   That and autograph sessions as well.

I’m honestly speaking in ignorance, but I always assumed a big issue with NIL was that the pay wasn’t commensurate to the work being done.  Is there someone “in the know” who could debunk that theory?

7 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I’m honestly speaking in ignorance, but I always assumed a big issue with NIL was that the pay wasn’t commensurate to the work being done.  Is there someone “in the know” who could debunk that theory?

Duh!    "Value" is in the eye of the cash holder.   

If a bunch of wealthy alumni/donors want a dude on their team, they offer him a NIL deal of $X (whatever that number is they want to spend), and then get him to sign a basketball for each of the donors.  That's pretty much all it takes.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If a bunch of wealthy alumni/donors want a dude on their team, they offer him a NIL deal of $X (whatever that number is they want to spend), and then get him to sign a basketball for each of the donors.  That's pretty much all it takes.

@NT80

Edited by greenminer
  • Haha 3

On 4/1/2024 at 2:42 PM, peanuts104 said:

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/cal-spring-practice-offensive-questions-2024

Update on Cal QB battle. Call it off topic, I don't give a shit. This guy left us and a sure QB1 position to fight for the starting job at a barely P5 school. I hope he rides that GD bench all year and doesn't see a dime from the money they said he was getting.

I don't like the transfer portal combined with openly paying players with no limits, hate it, in-fact....but this is an odd take to me.  The guy left a starting job in the Sun Belt to come to UNT.  Why would he do that then?  Same reason he left UNT for Cal.  He already showed his hand, so nobody here should be surprised that this is his behavior.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Duh!    "Value" is in the eye of the cash holder.   

I agree that it’s “Duh”, but it seemed that you and greenminer were justifying the reason they got paid.  I thought you guys were saying that they earned the money.

14 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I agree that it’s “Duh”, but it seemed that you and greenminer were justifying the reason they got paid.  I thought you guys were saying that they earned the money.

Believe me, if I hit the Powerball, ya'll are gonna notice a lot of nice players showing up wearing Green, and I'm going to have a bunch of autographed Mean Green paraphernalia.   There's no justification... just the way it is now.   The players "earn" the money with their level of play.  Be it, in high school, or college.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Believe me, if I hit the Powerball, ya'll are gonna notice a lot of nice players showing up wearing Green, and I'm going to have a bunch of autographed Mean Green paraphernalia.   There's no justification... just the way it is now.   The players "earn" the money with their level of play.  Be it, in high school, or college.

We joke, but I believe we need our Phil Knight or Powerball donor in this new era of buy-a-player.  It sucks until the programs agree on a salary cap and player contracts.   

Contracts will bind the players to a program for a set period, otherwise it's just always an open market.  If it only comes down to most money wins, then all games and championships are basically meaningless.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NT80 said:

We joke, but I believe we need our Phil Knight or Powerball donor in this new era of buy-a-player.  It sucks until the programs agree on a salary cap and player contracts.   

Contracts will bind the players to a program for a set period, otherwise it's just always an open market.  If it only comes down to most money wins, then all games and championships are basically meaningless.

It already does and has been that way for a long time.  I suppose you could say that the 10 or so programs who have all been buying players at an elite spending level have the differences settled by coaching and other factors, but I'd argue that the SEC and Bama have long been spending more on players under the table than anyone not named Texas.  Texas gets nothing for all the money they put in and maybe throw you off the scent of what's been going on?

In the 10 years that the CFP has been held, there have been 15 unique teams participate.  Here's the complete list:

BIG (9): Michigan (3), Michigan St (1), Ohio St (5)

SEC (12): Alabama (8), Georgia (3), LSU (1)

Big12 (7): Oklahoma (4), TCU (1), Texas (1), Cincy (1)

ACC (7): Clemson (6), Florida St (1)

Pac12 (3): Oregon (1), Washington (2)

Indep (2): Notre Dame (2)

Just look at the schools who have participated 3 or more times in a 10 year window.  Heard anything about how those schools recruit?

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:50 PM, akriesman said:

I know that my interest in College Football has degraded massively over the last few years.  It started with the Transfer Portal and got worse with the NIL. I no longer watch or attend any games outside of NT. It's just not as fun anymore to me.

i'm glad i enjoy tailgating so much.  that is the part i would miss if i quit, not the games.