Doesn't even look like Rogers will start at Cal

I think the well-made point is with all of the money we hear being thrown around; you would expect to see more players in commercials and public appearances instead of the minimal "appearances" or social media postings that are there to meet a requirement to hand them money. 

Also, more and more stories are coming out where players are not getting anywhere near the amount of money they thought they would. Seems like many are rushing to sigh and don't read the details. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:35 PM, NT80 said:

Exactly.  Has anyone ever seen any current college athlete marketing anything??  In print, video, anything?  I can't recall a single one.  Yet thousands are getting NIL.  For doing what....playing for a specific school.  That's it.

It isn’t uncommon. You just don’t always realize it is going on. If you’ve ever driven anywhere near Baton Rouge you will see LSU players in advertisements on billboards all over the place. 
Screen-Shot-2022-12-29-at-5.01.54-PM-102

Here are some of the deals Sincere McCormick had at UTSA. https://sanantonioreport.org/nil-deals/

Bijan Robinson’s Lamborghini deal. https://www.kxan.com/sports/bijan-robinson-shares-how-he-scored-lamborghini-nil-deal/amp/

Heck, just do a google image search for NIL billboard and you will see several.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Examples showing actual national superstars really don't count.  Their endorsements hold clear value, comparable to or exceeding what a high-profile professional athlete holds.  What about these benchwarmers pulling in 6 figures a year NIL?

https://fanarch.com/blogs/fan-arch/arch-manning-signs-multiyear-nil-deal-with-panini-america
benchwarmer

Texas offensive line starters and benchwarmers

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/horns-report/texas-longhorns-offensive-line-strikes-nil-deal-with-nonalcoholic-beer-company/amp/

• Puking Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Arch Manning doesn't count.  The dude was a superstar before he ever sat on the Longhorns bench.  Undoubtedly the most hyped recruit in UT history, and that's saying something.

The other is more along the lines of what I'm looking for.  But it still doesn't negate the main point that BY AND LARGE, NIL is being illegally used to entice recruits to attend a particular school, rather than to allow businesses the opportunity to strike mutually beneficial deals with athletes to promote their products.

• Upvote 4

We just need to get over NIL and Collectives for the college athlete. The NCAA had forever to properly compensate the talents of these young men and women. They continued to get greedy and not share any of the revenue. Unfortunately, there is no more amateurism in major college sports. Kids can move around just like coaches have always done. Yes, I hate it just as much as the next guy but the US congress (Ted Cruz & Manchin) should not be prioritizing a non kitchen table issue.

A good thing is many top notch athletics are staying in school longer rather than leaving for the league to make money.    

Edited by Cooley
Spelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1

2 minutes ago, Cooley said:

We just need to get over NIL and Collectives for the college athlete. The NCAA had forever to properly compensate the talents of these young men and women. They continued to get greedy and not share any of the revenue. Unfortunately, there is no more amateurism in major college sports. Kids can more around just like coaches have always done. Yes, I hate it just as much as the next guy but the US congress (Ted Cruz & Manchin) should not be prioritizing a non kitchen table issue.

A good thing is many top notch athletics are staying in school longer rather than leaving for the league to make money.    

The NCAA?  The NCAA never paid a coach's salary, and still doesn't "share any of the revenue" with athletes.

You feel free to get over NIL and collectives; that's fine.  The only way I personally will get over it is by quitting watching or supporting college sports altogether.  If I want to watch professional sports, I'll watch professional sports.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, Cooley said:

We just need to get over NIL and Collectives for the college athlete. The NCAA had forever to properly compensate the talents of these young men and women. They continued to get greedy and not share any of the revenue. Unfortunately, there is no more amateurism in major college sports. Kids can move around just like coaches have always done. Yes, I hate it just as much as the next guy but the US congress (Ted Cruz & Manchin) should not be prioritizing a non kitchen table issue.

Sharing of revenue? When we move to the revenue sharing model? Schools aren't sharing anything. Colleges are doing what pro team owners dreamt they would've thought of... having fans pay salaries and owners (institutions in this scenario) raking it alllllll in... 

high roller laughing GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

On 3/17/2024 at 3:10 PM, Cooley said:

I hear this a lot, the only problem is the vast majority of schools lose millions on athletics.  Unless you want to consider that mandated student fees used for athletics are actually earned revenue.   

As stand alone entities, there maybe a handful of schools outside of the SEC that really make money.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

On 3/13/2024 at 4:25 PM, KingDL1 said:

If Rogers doesn't start, will he still get the NIL money? I heard that most of the time, NIL money promises to transfers are conditional. 

It is against the rules to tie NIL money to performance. An athlete has a name, image and likeness regardless of whether he plays a down of football, and that's what the money is buying. It's like paying Randy White to endorse SKOAL.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 3/16/2024 at 1:48 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I think the well-made point is with all of the money we hear being thrown around; you would expect to see more players in commercials and public appearances instead of the minimal "appearances" or social media postings that are there to meet a requirement to hand them money. 

The people forking over money for NIL probably don't want to fork over more for commercials, since that money could be spent on more athletes.

If I was bankrolling NIL deals for UNT I would make the players endorse Morrison's Corn Kits.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2

On 3/17/2024 at 10:56 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sharing of revenue? When we move to the revenue sharing model? Schools aren't sharing anything. Colleges are doing what pro team owners dreamt they would've thought of... having fans pay salaries and owners (institutions in this scenario) raking it alllllll in... 

high roller laughing GIF

It's actually pretty amazing that this has happened... and the hustle still hasn't fallen apart for the schools. They can just crowdsource the work force AND get them to pay to watch them play. They get them coming and going!

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

It's actually pretty amazing that this has happened... and the hustle still hasn't fallen apart for the schools. They can just crowdsource the work force AND get them to pay to watch them play. They get them coming and going!

Yep. Hey loser, it's season ticket time. Don't you want to watch the kid you chipped in $10 / month to fund? Time to put your deposit in! (also we need a new locker room so leave your checkbook out) 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Pissed 1

11 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Fans will not continue supporting college football financially for long the way it is trending.  The NFL ties players to teams by contracts for specific years.  College players now can leave programs anytime.  The pay isn't the issue, the lock-down of the player to the school is the biggest issue.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:35 PM, NT80 said:

Exactly.  Has anyone ever seen any current college athlete marketing anything??  In print, video, anything?  I can't recall a single one.  Yet thousands are getting NIL.  For doing what....playing for a specific school.  That's it.

Caitlin Clark is in a bunch of State Farm commercials. That is pretty legit.

In other news, State Farm lost $30 billion dollars the last two years, just had their A.M. Best rating downgraded to “B” and had their financial outlook changed to “Weak”. They are in a huge mess and are about to raise rates dramatically, reduce coverages and pull out of certain markets. 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

On 3/17/2024 at 3:10 PM, Cooley said:

Everyone keeps using the job movement of coaches to justify that players can transfer now whenever they want. 
And it is a good point except for one HUGE factor. Coaches have contracts. And most of those contracts have buy-out clauses that compensate the school that the coach is leaving.

So Grant McCasland can sign a new contract with us then bolt for Texas Tech but Tech has to pay us $1.5M (reduced to $750K because Wren Baker is a weak negotiator and included a deescalator in the contract if Wren was no longer employed at UNT). But the point is that YES coaches can leave, but the schools still get compensated a pre-negotiated amount for the value of the coach that the school is losing. 
With players who transfer, the school loses all value they have invested in that player. And they have invested a lot: identifying the player, recruiting the player, training, nutrition, coaching, marketing. The school also has to overcome the loss of goodwill that comes with alumni and season ticket holders who are angry that their favorite running back just transferred to South Carolina. 

I don’t know where all this is going to land. Unlimited player movement might be good for some individual players but it is not good for college sports as a whole. A game without rules is not fun. And eventually people will stop paying attention. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Everyone keeps using the job movement of coaches to justify that players can transfer now whenever they want. 
And it is a good point except for one HUGE factor. Coaches have contracts. And most of those contracts have buy-out clauses that compensate the school that the coach is leaving.

So Grant McCasland can sign a new contract with us then bolt for Texas Tech but Tech has to pay us $1.5M (reduced to $750K because Wren Baker is a weak negotiator and included a deescalator in the contract if Wren was no longer employed at UNT). But the point is that YES coaches can leave, but the schools still get compensated a pre-negotiated amount for the value of the coach that the school is losing. 
With players who transfer, the school loses all value they have invested in that player. And they have invested a lot: identifying the player, recruiting the player, training, nutrition, coaching, marketing. The school also has to overcome the loss of goodwill that comes with alumni and season ticket holders who are angry that their favorite running back just transferred to South Carolina.

I also argue that coaching is a career, playing college football is not.  To me that’s a huge difference.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I also argue that coaching is a career, playing college football is not.  To me that’s a huge difference.

Even playing college football is not about playing football.  It is about being a good enough player to warrant a scholarship for a free education that you can use in life towards a real career.   Earning $$ while playing college sports is diluting the meaning of being in college.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1