Doesn't even look like Rogers will start at Cal

You might be jumping the gun a bit based on these quotes from the article:

“The depth chart I understand is important, but really we’re going to be concerned with the depth chart when we get into fall. Right now it’s just about the individuals getting better in the program.”

Wilcox said Rogers was promised just one thing during the recruiting process.

“When we recruit, we don’t guarantee people anything. We guarantee them an opportunity to come in and compete at the highest level,” Wilcox explained. “We’ll do that for Chandler and we’ll do that for everybody else on the roster, whether they’re a transfer, a returner or an incoming freshman.”

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

There's zillions of transfers that don't wind up starting at their new spot.  That said, I hated losing him and I'm still mad at him but that's also selfish of me.  I'm mad at the system more than I'm mad at him...but I'm still mad at him too.

Mad As Hell GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Tough shit, who cares. I hope he enjoys the NIL money. 

If Rogers doesn't start, will he still get the NIL money? I heard that most of the time, NIL money promises to transfers are conditional. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

30 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

If Rogers doesn't start, will he still get the NIL money? I heard that most of the time, NIL money promises to transfers are conditional. 

Well if that's the case, his advisors gave him bad advice. He played well here last year. However, this will be his 5th school since 2019. We shouldn't be shocked he left. As soon as adversity hits, he leaves.

Southern Miss- Blinn- ULM- UNT- Cal

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

My understanding is that for them to be NCAA compliant, athletic performance, including where you may end up on the depth chart, cannot be a stipulation of the contract. If you are on the team in good standing and meet your NIL “obligation” (public appearances, ads, or whatever) you get your money.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

My understanding is that for them to be NCAA compliant, athletic performance, including where you may end up on the depth chart, cannot be a stipulation of the contract. If you are on the team in good standing and meet your NIL “obligation” (public appearances, ads, or whatever) you get your money.

Exactly.  There’s a misconception out there that it’s pay to play.  It’s not, they have to “earn” their money through public appearances, autographs, social media promotions, etc with their NIL partners. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

I have been told several of our guys transferred through the portal for the allure of NIL money and did not receive the promised NIL money. But that is only what I was told. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I have been told several of our guys transferred through the portal for the allure of NIL money and did not receive the promised NIL money. But that is only what I was told. 

You are probably correct.  Because i would think minimum due diligence of a NIL leader would involve only signing contract AFTER they enrolled, on an athletic scholarship or officially on the roster.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Exactly.  There’s a misconception out there that it’s pay to play.  It’s not, they have to “earn” their money through public appearances, autographs, social media promotions, etc with their NIL partners. 

I'm not sensitive to downvotes but just curious as to why those of you who did would disagree?  My assumption is the much rightful cynicism of if that concept is actually being applied, which I would completely understand.

I did speak to our NIL contact and that's how he described it to me, for whatever that is worth.  With us, at least, it's done through a third party group and they do actually regulate that the pay is fair.  I'm not sure what kind of work these supposed $1M guys are doing that actually earns that - obviously there's no way an appearance for autographs demands that kind of income.  

• Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

See my post above.  I get it - just saying that it turns out, there are actually rules.  At least via the guy I talked to.  But, again, I get it....this was in response to the assumption that these guys just get paid to come to a school.

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I was also told that NIL was established to compensate athletes for the use of their NAME, IMAGE, and LIKENESS.

But somehow lots of players are getting big $$$'s without having any of these attributes being marketed.  I highly doubt the majority of OL's with 2k followers on social media are being featured in advertisements or have a demand in the 1000's for shirts with their name on it.

It reeks of the money laundering activities that are done through the sale of trivial paintings, etc. for huge $'s. 
It's essentially become equivalent of the "jobs" that were given to athletes back in the 80s, e.g. making $100k as a car salesman during the summer break.  Of course, we all knew this was going to happen.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

I was also told that NIL was established to compensate athletes for the use of their NAME, IMAGE, and LIKENESS.

But somehow lots of players are getting big $$$'s without having any of these attributes being marketed.  I highly doubt the majority of OL's with 2k followers on social media are being featured in advertisements or have a demand in the 1000's for shirts with their name on it.

It reeks of the money laundering activities that are done through the sale of trivial paintings, etc. for huge $'s. 
It's essentially become equivalent of the "jobs" that were given to athletes back in the 80s, e.g. making $100k as a car salesman during the summer break.  Of course, we all knew this was going to happen.

This

7 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Exactly.  Has anyone ever seen any current college athlete marketing anything??  In print, video, anything?  I can't recall a single one.  Yet thousands are getting NIL.  For doing what....playing for a specific school.  That's it.

• Eye Roll 1

36 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Exactly.  Has anyone ever seen any current college athlete marketing anything??  In print, video, anything?  I can't recall a single one.  Yet thousands are getting NIL.  For doing what....playing for a specific school.  That's it.

I've seen Shedeur Sanders and Travis Hunter of Colorado in multiple commercials

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1