The Super Pit Video

Big Z

Probably 2010 Texas Tech for me.  I specifically flew back into town for the banner raising of the previous season's NCAA Tournament and to see us take on the Red Raiders.  White and Odufuwa both had great games.  TT and DJ also hit some big shots.  Tremendous atmosphere that night. 

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5

On a tangent to that - even when I was a kid in the late 80s, DePaul was still pretty solid, but their history prior to that is fantastic.  Considering they're in Chicago and the league they're at, I think they're one of those under the radar sleeping giant programs who could be great again.  Kinda nuts how far they've fallen the last 30+ years.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Fabulous memories at the Fabulous Super Pit...DePaul, Texas, Texas Tech, LSU, CBI final, my small son rolling down the hill outside the Pit 35 years ago, hope to bring my grandson to do the same.   

I wish they had more former player interviews in the video from earlier eras.

Will never forget Bill Blakeley on the sideline, Ken Lyons jumpers, Tony Mitchell crashing the boards, etc...

50th Anniversary of First Game at the Coliseum - Mean Green Basketball -  GoMeanGreen.com

50th Anniversary of First Game at the Coliseum - Mean Green Basketball -  GoMeanGreen.com

Coach Blakely Passes Away - Mean Green Basketball - GoMeanGreen.com

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NT80 said:

Fabulous memories at the Fabulous Super Pit...DePaul, Texas, Texas Tech, LSU, CBI final, my small son rolling down the hill outside the Pit 35 years ago, hope to bring my grandson to do the same.   

I wish they had more former player interviews in the video from earlier eras.

Will never forget Bill Blakeley on the sideline, Ken Lyons jumpers, Tony Mitchell crashing the boards, etc...

Coach Blakely Passes Away - Mean Green Basketball - GoMeanGreen.com

That is one heck of a coaching staff.  Blakely in his 70's necklace, Jimmy Gales and Billy Tubbs.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

That is one heck of a coaching staff.  Blakely in his 70's necklace, Jimmy Gales and Billy Tubbs.

His teams were definitely fun to watch. About the complete opposite style of play then what we do now. That was probably the problem those teams had, they didn't play much defense but got up and down the court and scored a lot of points. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

His teams were definitely fun to watch. About the complete opposite style of play then what we do now. That was probably the problem those teams had, they didn't play much defense but got up and down the court and scored a lot of points. 

Bill Blakeley came to NT after coaching the ABA Dallas Chaparrals.  Similar to the NBA today, all offense, no defense was played.

Lots of great memories in the Super Pit. My Dad taking me to games in the 70s, me taking my sons to games in the 90s, one of my boys playing a high school playoff game there & a few years later walking across that same floor getting his masters degree. And lastly, taking my grandson to his first game a few weeks ago.

• Upvote 6

It is a Great arena, when it is rocking it is something.  I have been at a lot of games there, from the SRO, I sat on a step at the top, SMU game, to Depaul with my Dad, to La Tech and Texas Tech.  I also had to register for my classes there, my first time to the Super Pit, on the floor it seemed so big.

• Upvote 2