UAB (1/31/24)

CMJ

UAB about to upset Memphis? This conference is tough. I hope the committee sees this and doesn’t take it as a bad thing. We should be a 2-3 bid conference for sure. I honestly think top 3 teams should get a bid and another 2 to the NIT. It’s legit basketball. Not Big 12 level but I think many teams could contend with the best of the best in other conferences like the MW and SEC. 

• Ray 1

14 minutes ago, CMJ said:

We'll see, but I do think it is quite possible we get 3 teams in at this point.  

Hoping so. If every team could take back one loss or bad loss in out of conference play might have made more noise. We should get the respect. 

• Ray 1

41 minutes ago, CMJ said:

We'll see, but I do think it is quite possible we get 3 teams in at this point.  

I think we could easily be a 4 bid league if they would be willing to not add some Middle of the road/bottom half big 12/big10/acc teams but those are the money conferences.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

I think we could easily be a 4 bid league if they would be willing to not add some Middle of the road/bottom half big 12/big10/acc teams but those are the money conferences.  

Right now Lunardi is putting more MWC schools in the field than a few power leagues.

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Why the MWC always gets the love and never shows up in the tournament I will never understand.

As someone who lives recently on the west coast and now catches a lot of MWC sports... they are actually legit. Legitimate basketball, with huge crowds pretty much across the board. It's a pretty good leauge. 

Caveat to this is that their basketball programs have garnered a lot support, individually. Every road game is a difficult journey. That holds weight. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

As someone who lives recently on the west coast and now catches a lot of MWC sports... they are actually legit. Legitimate basketball, with huge crowds pretty much across the board. It's a pretty good leauge. 

Caveat to this is that their basketball programs have garnered a lot support, individually. Every road game is a difficult journey. That holds weight. 

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I mean....they did make the National Title game last year.

I was referring to what someone said last year about them as a whole. They may be good regular season, but getting bids and not doing much in the tournament, maybe other conferences should take 1 or 2 of those spots. All I am saying.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/dissecting-mountain-west-basketballs-latest-ncaa-tournament-flop

13 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I was referring to what someone said last year about them as a whole. They may be good regular season, but getting bids and not doing much in the tournament, maybe other conferences should take 1 or 2 of those spots. All I am saying.

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/dissecting-mountain-west-basketballs-latest-ncaa-tournament-flop

SDSU, Nevada, USU, and New Mexico can't be ignored. They are legit. Their fringe programs are Boise and CO State. Well, we played one of those guys and we let 1 of them to come back from 6 down under 2 to go and beat us. 

Neither here or there, we aren't worthy of a AQ IMO..Can't lose to Fordham, Boise and you have to beat 2 of Dayton, MSState, St Johns and LSU to be considered, assuming we finish top 4 in the AAC. We were swept there. Our path is rightfully an AQ spot. Truthfully, we need to root for FAU, CLT and Memphis the rest of the way. We need those 3 to be good, and we need to win the winnables, and that starts with continuing to protect the Super Pit. 

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

SDSU, Nevada, USU, and New Mexico can't be ignored. They are legit. Their fringe programs are Boise and CO State. Well, we played one of those guys and we let 1 of them to come back from 6 down under 2 to go and beat us. 

Neither here or there, we aren't worthy of a AQ IMO..Can't lose to Fordham, Boise and you have to beat 2 of Dayton, MSState, St Johns and LSU to be considered, assuming we finish top 4 in the AAC. We were swept there. Our path is rightfully an AQ spot. Truthfully, we need to root for FAU, CLT and Memphis the rest of the way. We need those 3 to be good, and we need to win the winnables, and that starts with continuing to protect the Super Pit. 

the Boise loss is at least a Quad 1 loss...same with St. John's and Miss State (we didn't play Dayton, btw). LSU is Quad 2...Fordham a Quad 3 loss. 

I am loving the competitive balance in this conference, but I don't think anyone, least of all Charlotte did enough in non-con to make this a three bid league if either Memphis or FAU win the tournament. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

the Boise loss is at least a Quad 1 loss...same with St. John's and Miss State (we didn't play Dayton, btw). LSU is Quad 2...Fordham a Quad 3 loss. 

I am loving the competitive balance in this conference, but I don't think anyone, least of all Charlotte did enough in non-con to make this a three bid league if either Memphis or FAU win the tournament. 

I agree. FAU and Memphis, particularly Memphis, will need to do well in conference play and they're both safe for an AQ. If someone else wins the tourney, and if they play decently well here on out, we'll be a 3-bid leauge. And I'm good with that scenario, so as long as it's not smu getting the tourney AQ. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Anyone heard what kind of crowd they are expecting for the game tomorrow night? It's on ESPNU and a late tip at 8pm. Haven't seen anything from the university promoting it, just ones for the Memphis game in Feb.  Hope the students come back out and we can get 4-5k. GMG

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Shark84 said:

Anyone heard what kind of crowd they are expecting for the game tomorrow night? It's on ESPNU and a late tip at 8pm. Haven't seen anything from the university promoting it, just ones for the Memphis game in Feb.  Hope the students come back out and we can get 4-5k. GMG

To me this doesn't make sense. Why go all out and promote the SMU game to see the potential of the Pit just to go back to the standard???

• Upvote 2