SMU (1/25/24)

CMJ

22 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

First you guys need to stop fighting aftwr such a big win.  Take that shit outside.

fantastic victory however we were like 6 of 16 from the FT line so it could have been a blowout.  

Buggs deserves the game ball.

Great team win. As for game ball, you may want to rewatch the last few minutes of the game. Every play that needed to be made was made by the JUCO kid. Even the defensive effort that kept SMU from getting a decent end of game shot. Can’t wait to watch him play for whoever next year. Should make quite a few happy around these parts.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, NT817 said:

top 10 maybe top 5 win in program history? either way feels great to be a Mean Green fan tonight

Mayyyybe top 50. I can think of probably 5 bigger games in the past five years

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Great team win. As for game ball, you may want to rewatch the last few minutes of the game. Every play that needed to be made was made by the JUCO kid. Even the defensive effort that kept SMU from getting a decent end of game shot. Can’t wait to watch him play for whoever next year. Should make quite a few happy around these parts.

brian regan what GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Edwards makes me happy and drives me mad.  Both of them very often in the same game.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Edwards makes me happy and drives me mad.  Both of them very often in the same game.

He’s not perfect but he tries. Almost a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. UNT is definitely not a good fit for him and he is definitely not a good fit for UNT. But he’s here, and I just don’t understand the disdain that some posters have for him. I stopped defending my favorite player Matt Stone, but now I feel like I have to defend Edwards. It’s odd. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, HoosMeanGreen said:

He’s not perfect but he tries. Almost a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. UNT is definitely not a good fit for him and he is definitely not a good fit for UNT. But he’s here, and I just don’t understand the disdain that some posters have for him. I stopped defending my favorite player Matt Stone, but now I feel like I have to defend Edwards. It’s odd. 

VA is 14-5. They're doing well. Don't they have a board? 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, HoosMeanGreen said:

My guess: a lot of that disdain was early, when he had a small handful of games that were less than 10 points.  When he isn't producing consistently, and we didn't need him when Jones/Bugs were out, it was a lot easier to see the faults.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Stone kept that bench all warm tonight !

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

My guess: a lot of that disdain was early, when he had a small handful of games that were less than 10 points.  When he isn't producing consistently, and we didn't need him when Jones/Bugs were out, it was a lot easier to see the faults.

I don't recall reading much distain for Edwards...he can be frustrating and definitely a different style lead-guard than we've had in a while...he's just a pure volume scorer and we've been spoiled on guys like Perry and Hamlet who were far more efficient scorers and better offensive facilitators. 

good shout though from Hoo...Edwards made two key defensive plays on that last SMU effort...stood up Phelps on the break-away and good hands to force the kick out

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We need football. What we don't need is our 3 million dollar budgeted sport out classing our 11 million dollar budgeted sport year after year after year after year after year... eventually common minds will come together and cut that 11 million dollars and give some to the sport that actually performs. To me, that "eventually" is now. It's not justifiable to blindly dump that money into a failing product yoy. And given the rules now in place, it never will be. Put the money into what will garner positive attention to the university. After all, sports is the front porch to the university, right? I promise you, the forward thinking universities in our peer group are already having these conversations. We can be proactive for once, or me reactive as per usual. 

Good post

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We need football. What we don't need is our 3 million dollar budgeted sport out classing our 11 million dollar budgeted sport year after year after year after year after year... eventually common minds will come together and cut that 11 million dollars and give some to the sport that actually performs. To me, that "eventually" is now. It's not justifiable to blindly dump that money into a failing product yoy. And given the rules now in place, it never will be. Put the money into what will garner positive attention to the university. After all, sports is the front porch to the university, right? I promise you, the forward thinking universities in our peer group are already having these conversations. We can be proactive for once, or me reactive as per usual. 

💯 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

NO!  It's all about finding the right coach and system, for whatever the sport, and maintaining it.   The Grant and Ross system has been here 7 years.  Do you not recall the 5 years with Benford?   Football can become just as strong.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

NO!  It's all about finding the right coach and system, for whatever the sport, and maintaining it.   The Grant and Ross system has been here 7 years.  Do you not recall the 5 years with Benford?   Football can become just as strong.

What about Dodge years?

Mccarney and Portland State ?

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2