How would you rate the Defensive recruiting?

I wouldn’t go as low as an F, but it wasn’t a super ideal class imo. They did a real solid job in beefing up the secondary, especially with the transfer portal, so I commend them with that. The lack of DL help coming in is concerning though 

I’d say a solid C, maybe C-

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

I wouldn’t go as low as an F, but it wasn’t a super ideal class imo. They did a real solid job in beefing up the secondary, especially with the transfer portal, so I commend them with that. The lack of DL help coming in is concerning though 

I’d say a solid C, maybe C-

Looking at the secondary I will revise to a D

I'm worried about the defense. Unless one of these HS kids makes an immediate jump to start, it's going to be a lot of the same on that side of the ball in the front 6. The DBs from last year's class and the few additions from the transfer portal should compete for playing time. I hope they spend a lot of time this fall working on tackling drills and learning to play faster in the defense.

DE- Vic Alobwede

NT- Rod Brown

DE- Fatafehi Vailea

LB- Jordan Brown

LB- JJ Jean Louis

LB- Ethan Wesloski

CB- Ridge Texada

CB- Loronzo Thompson (I expect one of the returning RS FR or Xavion Brice to be in the fold)

FS- Bryce Linder (I imagine 3 transfers Spruells, Allen, or Hill will compete for playing time)

BS- Phil Hill or Jayven Anderson

Star- Evan Jackson (Spruells, Allen, and Hill compete for PT as well)

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

IMO, very poor. When you fielded the worst defense in FBS there should have been a lot more emphasis.  My way to early grade: D

I have not been super excited with the defensive recruiting. If it was my choice I would have went much heavier in the portal. But there is still time to add player after spring before fall. I wouldn't be surprised to see the staff add 3-5 more defensive transfers between now and kick off. Here are 3 P5 transfer they have had or going to have on campus this weekend. 

($) Here are two P5 transfers that have visited in the last week. 

https://www.patreon.com/posts/potential-name-96396129?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

https://www.patreon.com/posts/p5-and-former-4-95955382?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

($) And here is one P5 defender in town this weekend. 

https://www.patreon.com/posts/potential-name-96396129?utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=postshare_creator&utm_content=join_link

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

I expected to see them bring in experienced defensive line players who could come make an immediate impact. 

We didn’t have a strong three man front last year, let alone any depth. If they don’t pull in some stud DL players late, I don’t understand how they think the defense will perform any better. Even then, would loved to have had some strong DL transfers here in the spring to learn the 3-3-5 system…

I agree with a D grade on defense. 

• Upvote 2

The back end has been improved greatly with experience and size. Last year they were small and couldn’t tackle. You go to a three man front, because you have trouble attracting dl like most schools. Give me 2 P5 dl, a linebacker and a strong safety that plays up. ( we may have just added) . 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The back end has been improved greatly with experience and size. Last year they were small and couldn’t tackle. You go to a three man front, because you have trouble attracting dl like most schools. Give me 2 P5 dl, a linebacker and a strong safety that plays up. ( we may have just added) . 

The back end doesn't demand doubles, slant into gaps, and penetrate into run gaps. Sure, our safety spots need an upgrade too, but if you don't upgrade up front then larger men at the running back position are still going to be running unabated and almost at full speed right at our smaller men at safety(s). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The back end doesn't demand doubles, slant into gaps, and penetrate into run gaps. Sure, our safety spots need an upgrade too, but if you don't upgrade up front then larger men at the running back position are still going to be running unabated and almost at full speed right at our smaller men at safety(s). 

Ah ugh did I disagree? I’m sure you can always find a reason to Be atch!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Our defense is exactly the same as it was.

Really?  LB transfer from ISU, couple of DB’s from UT. We are a long way from where we need to be but we aren’t the same. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Like the additions to the secondary from the portal. Extremely concerned that we have not gotten impact players on the DL to this point. It was such a glaring weakness last season. Don’t understand how that wouldn’t biggest recruiting priority behind replacing Rogers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Unless something breaks today or tomorrow I think most would agree that the overall Talent brought in on defense has been very disappointing through the portal. Hopefully Morris ( and I personally have my doubts as to his commitment is to having a top half of the league defense) and his staff can make the second spring portal a priority to bring in some defensive players. If not,  I would not be surprised next season to see us have great offensive stats but still struggle to win more than six. Despite the potential offensive power we could easily start 1-3.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Unless something breaks today or tomorrow I think most would agree that the overall Talent brought in on defense has been very disappointing through the portal. Hopefully Morris ( and I personally have my doubts as to his commitment is to having a top half of the league defense) and his staff can make the second spring portal a priority to bring in some defensive players. If not,  I would not be surprised next season to see us have great offensive stats but still struggle to win more than six. Despite the potential offensive power we could easily start 1-3.

#hit6

Glad we've invested so much to still be sitting a decade in the past. 

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2