Temple (1/13/24)

CMJ

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

I agree.  I'd rather have the people be there instead of an empty seat, even if they are quiet.  They have spent money on the ticket and popcorn and we hope they come back.

I completely respect this side of the coin. I guess it's just what we have to expect from our fan base. We come to games to watch and to contribute silently. 

• Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, CMJ said:

Memphis.  Lets get their name right because we know how infuriating it is when people get ours wrong.

Being wildly uninformed about the name drives me nuts.  Like some media mouth on a broadcast play-by-play...calling us NTS is wrong and I will drop my jaw at how unprofessional they look.
If I can tell they are just trying to troll me - and I usually can - I can move happily onward.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Until NT starts selling out games and they have only been close a couple of times in the SPit history, I find complaining about how people watch the games is strange. 

You go to a game to enjoy the experience, if that is sitting and eating popcorn that is definitely your choice.  

Quiet fans are better than empty seats!  They still spend money on the program buying a ticket to get in, and a parking fine to park, lol

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Quiet fans are better than empty seats!  They still spend money on the program buying a ticket to get in, and a parking fine to park, lol

Been going for decades and decades and decades and I rarely jump up screaming. It’s still my favorite things to do all year. I enjoy sitting watching and figuring out what’s next, what’s the plan, what’s the coach thinking. I stand for the anthem and then maybe stand the last minute or two of it is close. (Typically)

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

17 hours ago, Andrew said:

Been going for decades and decades and decades and I rarely jump up screaming. It’s still my favorite things to do all year. I enjoy sitting watching and figuring out what’s next, what’s the plan, what’s the coach thinking. I stand for the anthem and then maybe stand the last minute or two of it is close. (Typically)

I tried to warn you in another thread:

30 years of sitting on your behind is not good for the body. Get up, stretch, cheer, have fun. Sedentary lifestyles lead to a plethora of illnesses. If for nothing else, do it for your health. 

Get up man, for nothing else, do it for your health and our insurance premiums.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 minutes ago, Big Z said:

82 Memphis UTSA 81 with 4 mins left in the game 

This game has been absolutely stolen by the refs. UTSA setup a beautiful screen to get a wide open dunk with 6 seconds left but the refs called an offensive foul for an illegal screen. It's been non-stop fouls on UTSA. So thankful we don't play Memphis on the road.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This game has been absolutely stolen by the refs. UTSA setup a beautiful screen to get a wide open dunk with 6 seconds left but the refs called an offensive foul for an illegal screen. It's been non-stop fouls on UTSA. So thankful we don't play Memphis on the road.

The real story was UTSA’s inability to play smart ball and close this game out.  They are who they are for a reason.  

On 1/8/2024 at 3:30 PM, Shark84 said:

Until we get to the point where we are ranked in the top 20, only the hard core UNT fans will show up. NIT title didn't move the needle for the average sports fan in our area. Being ranked forces the area media to give you coverage and gets the bandwagon fans out. Wish it wasn't that way but I've followed the Mean Green for a long time and IMO that is the only way we will see big crowds on a regular basis. I noticed that other than Memphis and FAU in their 3k seat gym, ACC schools are not getting huge crowds. Smut had great crowds back when Brown was coaching and they were ranked. DFW media fell over backwards covering them. Now after a couple of down seasons, not so much. 

It is sad but I mostly agree about the NIT, but I also think since Covid, student engagement at non-major schools has taken another noticeable dip. How did we get 7,000-8,000 for the CBI final, but our best NIT showing last season was probably half of that? The small part of me that disagrees points back to the home opener against UNI and says that we have scheduled our nonconference terribly - and forget about who the actual opponents are. The UNI game was the best-attended home opener since I was a freshman in 2014. The student side looked great, it filled in to be packed in the lower bowl on that side. But aside from Omaha and MVSU, our remaining home games in nonconference were: 1. the Sunday after Thanksgiving, 2. the Saturday before Christmas, and 3. the Saturday before NYE. What a huge waste to play our one DFW rival at Christmas. I know we can't help our conference schedule, but overall 4 games played over Winter Break. Maybe someone can look at everyone else's schedule and see how many home games our conference mates played over the break.

• Upvote 1