Jump to content

Mike Aresco Retiring


DeepGreen

Recommended Posts

Retiring or tired?  That man busted his behind to have the AAC move up and fought for equality, and now he sees the “power” conferences constricting from five to three. Can’t blame him. This has hit the 💩 slope full speed. 

  • Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t know about the MWC commish. The PAC 2 landed in her lap. She was about to hemorrhage one of her biggest brands and lose a target in SDSU and Gonzaga. Then the PAC fell apart.

Two things with Aresco retiring we must evaluate:

1. Who is our new leader? Competent and a fighter, great. We have a lot going for us in the AAC.

2. If unsure about new leader do we entertain joining an expanded PAC that will include the MWC OSU WSU…we could take our talents out west along with UTSA and/or Texas State. I would think Tulane Rice Tulsa South Florida. Memphis end up in the ACC. 

I like our landing spot now but Mike was a big part of that. 
 

GMG 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s worth noting that having knowledge of media rights and having great relationships and negotiating skills with media outlets is an essential part of this job. 
 

All of this revolves around money now, and media deals are the biggest source of income and exposure for conferences. This is where Aresco did pretty well and where Judy fell very short. 
 

We need someone who will continue negotiating good media deals with high dollars and great exposure. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

It’s worth noting that having knowledge of media rights and having great relationships and negotiating skills with media outlets is an essential part of this job. 
 

All of this revolves around money now, and media deals are the biggest source of income and exposure for conferences. This is where Aresco did pretty well and where Judy fell very short. 
 

We need someone who will continue negotiating good media deals with high dollars and great exposure. 

This!!!!

Look at what the Big XII did by bringing in a person with media experience over a college AD. People thought the Big XII was crazy bringing in Brett Yormark, yet he got them a better media deal and could put the Big XII 2024 in what is arguably an equal position to where they were in 2022! 

 
A media savvy negotiator is more important than college athletics experience! 
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

This!!!!

Look at what the Big XII did by bringing in a person with media experience over a college AD. People thought the Big XII was crazy bringing in Brett Yormark, yet he got them a better media deal and could put the Big XII 2024 in what is arguably an equal position to where they were in 2022! 

 
A media savvy negotiator is more important than college athletics experience! 

The AAC media rights deal is good until 2031.  That's a one-time deal for negotiators.  The rest of their time is spent trying to promote the conference, fight fires, and try to influence NCAA decisions for our interests.  Someone with an NCAA background, NIL, and portal knowledge is more useful until our rights deal is up for renewal.

https://theamerican.org/news/2019/3/27/general-american-athletic-conference-and-espn-agree-to-12-year-media-rights-extension.aspx

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2023 at 7:55 AM, MeanGreenGlory said:

It’s worth noting that having knowledge of media rights and having great relationships and negotiating skills with media outlets is an essential part of this job. 
 

All of this revolves around money now, and media deals are the biggest source of income and exposure for conferences. This is where Aresco did pretty well and where Judy fell very short. 
 

We need someone who will continue negotiating good media deals with high dollars and great exposure. 

Guys, the handwriting is on the wall for G5 and 1AA programs as regards media deals. With the NIL making it more attractive for G5 players to enter the transfer portal, the exceptional players they have will migrate to P5 programs. In addition the monied programs will break away and create a new division and take most of the media money with them. The rest of us, and there will be a bunch as not all programs who now compete at the P5 level will be able to afford the new table stakes, will be fighting over the table scraps that are left. Picture Oklahoma State playing on Wednesday nights instead of Akron. Just an old mans opinion, and I hope I am dead wrong. In addition,until the smoke settles it is hard for UNT to justify spending $20million on upgrading current athletic facilities .

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is already a divide, even though everyone is in FBS. Perhaps an official split will help to bring some sanity back to college athletics. There will still be available TV deals for those not part of the Pay-for-play conference or whatever you want to call it. It will be interesting to see how they set up the crossover games between the pay-for-play conference and whatever the rest of us are called. I hope once it splits, if teams at our level play one of the paper place schools, they're getting at least 2 million plus per game.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

G5 should set its playoff program in motion. 

G5 will be the minor league program and its players will aspire to get to the Bigs.

Its basically that way now, but formalize it. 

And G5 teams should contract with Bigs to help subsidize (including a minor NIL program) their feeder programs, i.e. we get separate contracts with 5-10 Bigs and we coordinate interactions between our players and those teams. Bigs would be incentivized to make it as nice as possible for future prospects.

 

Lots of other ways we could duplicate a baseball-like major and minor league relationship.

 

GMG

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, wardly said:

Guys, the handwriting is on the wall for G5 and 1AA programs as regards media deals. With the NIL making it more attractive for G5 players to enter the transfer portal, the exceptional players they have will migrate to P5 programs. In addition the monied programs will break away and create a new division and take most of the media money with them. The rest of us, and there will be a bunch as not all programs who now compete at the P5 level will be able to afford the new table stakes, will be fighting over the table scraps that are left. Picture Oklahoma State playing on Wednesday nights instead of Akron. Just an old mans opinion, and I hope I am dead wrong. In addition,until the smoke settles it is hard for UNT to justify spending $20million on upgrading current athletic facilities .

I agree but, maybe we need to consider the consequences of failing to upgrade the current athletic facilities. It would seem to be a death knell.

  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, untcampbell said:

G5 should set its playoff program in motion. 

G5 will be the minor league program and its players will aspire to get to the Bigs.

Its basically that way now, but formalize it. 

And G5 teams should contract with Bigs to help subsidize (including a minor NIL program) their feeder programs, i.e. we get separate contracts with 5-10 Bigs and we coordinate interactions between our players and those teams. Bigs would be incentivized to make it as nice as possible for future prospects.

 

Lots of other ways we could duplicate a baseball-like major and minor league relationship.

 

GMG

UNT fan once again shows they didn't learn their lesson from dropping down to FCS the first time around. Go ahead and kill off another generation of the few fans you have. Real smart.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wardly said:

I grew up in Ft. Worth from mid 50's till I went to NTSU in 1961. Burger's Lake and the "polio" pool in Forest Park were the only places those of us with limited means could swim. I have good memories of both.

Was Barbrook pool in Haltom City open then?  I know it was in the 60's-70's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 19

      Season Ticket Renewals

    2. 3

      NCAA Football 25

    3. 3

      NCAA Football 25

    4. 19

      Season Ticket Renewals

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,346
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    Chasetr97
    Joined
  • GEOVbwaWAAEbd3Q.jpg

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.