North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

37 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

No thanks. As good of a deep threat as Maclin was, he ran more than one route. I don't want any one trick ponies anymore. Shorter was successful because Aune had one trick and he had one trick, the just both happened to align.

"F*ck it go deep" isn't the philosophy that made our offense successful this year.

Personally I'd like him back for a year depending on who else may be available in the portal. You never say no to an elite jump ball receiver. I feel like Cleveland could be that guy with his size but we know Shorter can be that guy. Would be great to have in the red zone, especially against bigger and more physical defenses.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Hell yes, I'd take Jyaire back in a heartbeat. That guy suffered several injuries because he was intensely competitive and refused to go down easily. He would fight and claw for that first down and was tenacious near the goal line.

I contrast his heart and effort to 1 starter that recently entered the portal that continuously masked his attempts to avoid contact. We need more players like Jyaire.

This was not a coaching issue, nor a 3-3-5 system issue. We had rewarded players that weren't willing to risk hard contact.

The irony in this is Logan Wilson was offered by Cal. They got a front row seat at his desire to tackle and said "that's our guy!"

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

As I sit here seeing all of these names enter the portal, I am a bit caught off guard. I really thought we had found something special at the end of the year. Morris was hired to bring in talent, and it appears to me that we are losing much more of it than bringing in.

I wonder if it would help him to bring in an experienced voice and recruiter. Somebody that can unite, inspire, and maybe most importantly RETAIN talent. Somebody that is respected among TX high school coaches. Somebody that knows the area well. Somebody that has been a HC at this level. Somebody who has learned what it takes to succeed and fail at this level. That somebody may be Todd Dodge. Who is to say the one who killed this program could not also be the one to resurrect it? I think he could be a big help to EMO.

I am not off the train yet, but I do wonder if Littrell might be involved in some sabotaging of this roster, given everything that has occurred. Please talk me off the ledge. #GMG

Signed,

A Concerned Fan

Edited by UNTFan94
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

@UNTFan94 I love Todd Dodge, truly, but I think he is happy doing what he is doing. He gets to enjoy football at his own pace now. I just had my kids in one of his minicamps this past weekend. He is holding another one this weekend. Best quarterback coach in the country as far as I am concerned. Anyways, I don’t think he wants to go back to the requirements of a full-time gig. He gets to enjoy his family and friends too much to go back to the daily grind. Now if you want to take advantage of that connection and make the most of it, you probably need to do your best to grab Riley Dodge instead. I think that would be a stellar hire.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

The TP opened today. There hasn’t been time to bring in talent. I think waiting to see who is signed for the Spring…possibly summer, would be a better gauge. 

That’s a fair point. I just get really nervous when I see the university that I dearly love struggling so much!!

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

@UNTFan94 I love Todd Dodge, truly, but I think he is happy doing what he is doing. He gets to enjoy football at his own pace now. I just had my kids in one of his minicamps this past weekend. He is holding another one this weekend. Best quarterback coach in the country as far as I am concerned. Anyways, I don’t think he wants to go back to the requirements of a full-time gig. He gets to enjoy his family and friends too much to go back to the daily grind. Now if you want to take advantage of that connection and make the most of it, you probably need to do your best to grab Riley Dodge instead. I think that would be a stellar hire.

You could be right! I do wonder if maybe we could hire a guy like Jeff Traylor to come consult EMO for a few days? Maybe just to teach him how to build a program. I could see that being helpful in the long run.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Graddean said:

Before we start jumping off bridges, we need to check the portal.  According to 247, over 500 players entered the portal today.  

Yes. This isn’t special to UNT. This is the new world. It’s a year by year deal. Just have to cheer for the jersey regardless of who is in it. Hopefully Morris and Company can upgrade where these guys are leaving. 

And to someone else’s point, a lot of these kids are going to be sitting with no team….it goes both ways. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Graddean said:

Before we start jumping off bridges, we need to check the portal.  According to 247, over 500 players entered the portal today.  

This.

Oklahoma and Ohio St. lost their starting QB’s to the portal.  That’s two of the premier positions in all of college football.  Sadly, it’s just the way it is now.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

4. I want more NIL money and playing leverage to get it from you or someone else.

I wonder what happens when NIL collectives get burned on spending too much money on players at the top level. I think the money dries up in a year or two in terms of willingness to give out funds. Could be very wrong.

• Upvote 3