St. Johns (11/16/23) - Charleston Classic

greenminer

7 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

@Censored by Lauriealready brought up Soriano being a key to the game. You need to pick something else.

I forgot….. he has to pull a billsee or whatever the account is and Google everything…. Got it 😉 

At least people like Cooley seem to have it down and people in the metroplex hoops circle know him. CMJ keeps it simple. Emmitt. Well I like Emmitt and he keeps it basic too. Next time I will let chat GPT dictate my posts too…..

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I forgot….. he has to pull a billsee or whatever the account is and Google everything…. Got it 😉 

At least people like Cooley seem to have it down and people in the metroplex hoops circle know him. CMJ keeps it simple. Emmitt. Well I like Emmitt and he keeps it basic too. Next time I will let chat GPT dictate my posts too…..

'Twas but a joke.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I'll take that I keep things simple as a compliment.  There's a lot of strategy and tactics in basketball, but at the end of the day it's a pretty simple sport IMHO.  And though analytics are involved, I don't think it's completely taken over to the point where it's almost ruined it like in baseball.

That said, I enjoy reading more in depth coverage by others.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

They like to run so we need to slow the pace and limit their possessions on offense.  Muck it up like we did last year. Isn't always fun to watch but effective in keeping us in games against good teams. Go Mean Green!

Yes, St. Johns has quick athletes that like to run and ad-lib on the floor.  They are a bunch of transfers, playing like individuals instead of a team, trying to win the eye of Coach Pitino.   They have not meshed yet on defense and we can take advantage of that with slow-down tempo.  Take them out of their game.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

They like to run so we need to slow the pace and limit their possessions on offense.  Muck it up like we did last year. Isn't always fun to watch but effective in keeping us in games against good teams. Go Mean Green!

I agree except I have learned to love our style of play.  UNT by 5 as Pitino gets distracted by a young lady across the court in the third row and abandons the St. John's bench to ask her out for pizza post game.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

We are still in the infant stage of the Hodge era.

• What have we done thus far that you are really liking?
  • Do you have a new favorite player?
  • What is something that you would like to see improve?
  • Is there a possibility that excites you?
  • Is there something that has you worried?

Here are my answers:

• What have we done thus far that you are really liking? - I loved this hire.  The continuity.  The personality/coaching style.
  • Do you have a new favorite player? CJ Noland.  Seems like he is the piece we missed for a few years: a guy that can break his defender down off the dribble.
  • What is something that you would like to see improve? Offensive identity/maturity.  Looks like some of the new guys are starting to embrace/understand their roles.  And they look like they have tons of potential.  I think if Noland continues to level up in his role, and Buggs finds his shot, this offense will be scary good.
  • Is there a possibility that excites you?  Obviously Aaron Scott's continuous improvement in level of play.  I think he is going to have a massive, headlining game this year.  Not sure when that will happen, but I know it will.  
  • Is there something that has you worried? Are we sacrificing defensive intensity for more offensive pop?  I think its too early to be worried about this, but it is on my mind.  Maybe this will look better once we are a little bit more experienced in this new system.
Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

We are still in the infant stage of the Hodge era.

• What have we done thus far that you are really liking?  I like that the defense is still pretty solid but that the offensive tempo has picked up.
  • Do you have a new favorite player?  Yes, Jason with Robert a close 2nd.
  • What is something that you would like to see improve? Rubin's assist to turnover ratio.
  • Is there a possibility that excites you? Yes Robert could be the answer to our prayers down low combined with Sissoko.  I was deeply concerned about losing Abou and Morgan seems to be taking 4ever to develop.
  • Is there something that has you worried? Jason played well early on  but last game he seemed to struggle.  We really need him to fill the scoring gap left by Tylor.
  • Upvote 2