Story of the game...

Cerebus

You hardly win football games if you lose the turnover battle. And you especially never beat teams that are better than you if you lose the turnover battle. We had two costly ones yesterday that killed potential touchdown drives. 

To me, the bigger problem is our size, or lack thereof. The last three weeks, it has been glaringly obvious that we don't look like or play like a successful D1 program, especially on the defensive side of the ball. But also, both of Rogers picks yesterday we from tipped passes at the line of scrimmage. Simply put, UTSA has size up front on defense that we lack. Until we get some bigger defensive lineman up front, we will continue to struggle. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, StealthEagle84 said:

You hardly win football games if you lose the turnover battle. And you especially never beat teams that are better than you if you lose the turnover battle. We had two costly ones yesterday that killed potential touchdown drives. 

To me, the bigger problem is our size, or lack thereof. The last three weeks, it has been glaringly obvious that we don't look like or play like a successful D1 program, especially on the defensive side of the ball. But also, both of Rogers picks yesterday we from tipped passes at the line of scrimmage. Simply put, UTSA has size up front on defense that we lack. Until we get some bigger defensive lineman up front, we will continue to struggle. 

Bigger, stronger and faster all around.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eagle73 said:

I dont think we could have kept them here unless we had come up with a mountain of money. (Just my opinion)

Examples of how idiotic teams can be with NIL money. Gumms has two catches this year. Roberts has 16, and Alberding has one (Shorter has only one catch also).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's almost as if there isn't a way to combat that. Only if... you know. 

In hindsight, it's also apparent we had some outstanding O-line coaches here the past couple of years. I am not saying the coaches we have now are incapable, but I have always thought that O-line and DC were two areas where it helps to have experienced coaches. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cerebus said:

BE9I5469 Rogers Sacked crop 1200.png

From his first snap of the game until his last, Rogers was getting swarmed.  I would love to know what UTSA's pressure rate was, it might be an NCAA record. 

Yeah, this was a huge issue.  EM did say in his post-game that they supposedly had a scheme for blocking (via cut blocks) on the plays that had the blocked passes.  He said that on one of these, it was a total whiff (by the guard??) that caused the issue.  He said the other was a "freak" block by the noseguard who was not expected to be in a location to block it and it's something he didn't think he'd ever seen.

• Upvote 1

I think the first fumble by "Sides??" after the catch and into the RZ, killed the momentum and team was fighting from double digits behind immediately again. 

Rogers got the team back into the game, but it was a not a good game for him overall and he fumbled on the first play, thankfully O-Line was right there to recover, but then the last INT killed the rest of it. 

Frustrating to see how close the team is in the final score, but tired of the team going down double digits ever game due to poor Defensive planning

• Upvote 2

On 11/5/2023 at 11:19 AM, Cerebus said:

From his first snap of the game until his last, Rogers was getting swarmed.  I would love to know what UTSA's pressure rate was, it might be an NCAA record. 

Look at the stats.  He outplayed Harris hands down.  The 2 INT’s were an issue, but so was the fumble on the 3 yard line early. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Look at the stats.  He outplayed Harris hands down.  The 2 INT’s were an issue, but so was the fumble on the 3 yard line early. 

And the two interceptions were both on tipped passes, the 2nd of which was very good fortune for UTSA.

On 11/5/2023 at 11:19 AM, Cerebus said:

Well, you see, they have this fierce front three and the linebackers wait until they come to them and the back five control the passes.  

We might could run something like that if we could find three Booger Kennedys.  Three Orrs and a couple of Davis' at linebacker and the defensive backs that Hayden Fry had.

It's always seemed to me that the best coaches mold their offense and defense to the strength of their players; not to some offense or defense that looks good on paper.

PS:  I still like Eric as a person and a coach and I want him to succeed.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

On 11/5/2023 at 3:27 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Examples of how idiotic teams can be with NIL money. Gumms has two catches this year. Roberts has 16, and Alberding has one (Shorter has only one catch also).

Good for the players, I guess. They got cash in their hands. I’d imagine they sleep pretty well at night knowing they got $$$ they wouldn’t have ever gotten here.

Stupid system is stupid.

On 11/5/2023 at 3:27 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Hard to assess Alberding on that.  He was always a blocking TE, and was never going to be a major pass-catching target here, either.