Not sure we can compete anymore

southsideguy

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yep, you got it figured out. People unhappy about UNT football are plants, because they have NO REASON to be dissatisfied. 

Nah, just some people only post when things aren't going our way, or the way they expect things to go.  Not hard to determine who that might be.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

@GrayEagle

The Crimson Collective, backed by donors, is paying for the leases of each truck, which has an MSRP of $43,970, on a six-month contract and is also covering the insurance. The contracts are expected to roll over based on a player's eligibility and membership on the team. If a player loses eligibility or transfers, they will lose their truck. The dealership that Crimson Collective worked with for the deal, Ken Garff Automotive Group, will take back the trucks as each lease is up and resell them.

USA Today Link

• Upvote 2

I thought this was an interesting note too. The funny thing is this is more in line with what I would have thought the original intent of NIL would have been in that a company is basically paying for billboards on these trucks and the student-athletes are driving them around town advertising their company. Upon further examination, I'm actually more inclined to support these types of deals than much of what these Collectives have been doing.

Each truck is covered in a Utah-themed wrap with the school colors and an ad for the streaming app For The Win 360 (FTW360), which helped sponsor the deal.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 4

Those trucks are paltry compared to what supporters of major Big 10 and SEC schools are paying players. We’re never going to have lots of people with Big Money going crazy for NT. We just need to be in a situation where we are NEVER playing games against the ones that do. All I care about is consistently winning more games than we lose. I don’t care at all who those games are against.

• Upvote 3

On 10/8/2023 at 11:39 AM, southsideguy said:

And at this rate we never will,  the playing field has become so tilted.  What made college football great in the past there was a semi level playing field.  I mean the players that we might get can get a free car going there or play for free for us.  

If all the big boys do this and I am sure they are 85 scholarship players each will not be alot left over plus they will taking the good players from the smaller conference schools.   The talent gap will grow bigger.  I dont know why the SEC,Big 10, and Big 12 just become the minor leagues for the NFL.   The players wont have to go to class and can just be paid to play for four year. Most take their classes on line now and never step foot on campus.  I sure someone in the Athletic Department is taking the on line classes for them.   It is not about the student athlete it about big tv contracts and winning.  

Maybe the big schools should pay the the lower conference teams money for each player they take through the portal.

College football has always been top heavy.  Look at our all time record vs power schools if you need a reminder...hell, look at our all time record against SMU for God's sake.  I really don't think this changes anything for us

• Upvote 2

Well boys, time to step up and donate to our collective if you haven't done so already. Who can't donate $10-$25/month? Harry's made it very easy. Imagine if everyone gave according to their means, we'd have a tidy sum. Maybe not enough for some folks, but it all adds up.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 1:21 PM, MDH said:

I mean, we exceedingly rarely ever competed at a level similar to Utah on the field or on the recruiting trail. 

Utah before Urban Meyer in the WAC/MWC wasn't really much better than the Mean Green's better FBS level teams especially while Hayden Fry's tenure.  It is only in the 90s and beyond the gap started to grow to the point of being insurmountable.  We can make excuses all day long for this program it's pointless.  They've had many opportunities to close this gap with good hires, standing up other NCAA level teams, investing in facilities earlier, not dropping to FCS in the first place or staying at the FCS level so long.  

A serious ambitious and smart program would have fired Seth earlier and been the first FBS program to announce interest in hiring Deion Sanders.  So what you don't get him the publicity alone puts out the message that we aren't content just aspiring to be one of the best G5 programs.

Cincinnati, Louisville, USF, Boise State and Miami at points since the 1970s have been on par with us.  Now we are specks in their rear view mirrors.  And that isn't because they speed up, we slowed down and took detours.   

So we need to stop focusing on what P5 is doing and make sure we aren't looking at UTSA like we were looking at our old Big Sky conference rivals Boise State in Fiesta Bowls a few years back.

There is plenty of money in DFW area for a Mean Green team that puts together multiple regular seasons winning 10 games.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:20 PM, DentonLurker said:

I thought this was an interesting note too. The funny thing is this is more in line with what I would have thought the original intent of NIL would have been in that a company is basically paying for billboards on these trucks and the student-athletes are driving them around town advertising their company. Upon further examination, I'm actually more inclined to support these types of deals than much of what these Collectives have been doing.

I agree.  When I first read about this I thought it was ridiculous, but the more I’ve thought about, the more I think this more in line with the intent of NIL than most other things I’ve seen.  To be clear, I don’t think this is true NIL, just more so than most other things.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm just happy the talent on the field is finally getting some compensation. 

I agree! It's great to see that the talent on the field is finally getting some compensation. Football players put their bodies on the line every time they step on the field, and they deserve to be compensated fairly for their efforts.

I'm also glad to see that there is a growing awareness of the importance of player safety. The NFL has taken some steps to improve player safety in recent years, such as implementing new rules and regulations. However, there is still more that can be done.

I hope that the trend of increasing compensation for football players continues. It's important to recognize the value that these athletes bring to the game and to ensure that they are taken care of both during and after their careers.

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

It’s the Wild West at the moment, but when schools start realizing all these incoming players become 3rd stringers and end up never hitting the field, they’ll start thinking twice about dropping huge cash on kids that haven't proved themselves. That will lead into the kids that shine at the mid major level getting taken easily and showered with cash/gifts. The mid-major will be the minor league for the P5. Hit the mids then shoot for a big payday at the Power school. 

Edited by Got5onIt

22 hours ago, eppy4life said:

I agree! It's great to see that the talent on the field is finally getting some compensation. Football players put their bodies on the line every time they step on the field, and they deserve to be compensated fairly for their efforts.

I'm also glad to see that there is a growing awareness of the importance of player safety. The NFL has taken some steps to improve player safety in recent years, such as implementing new rules and regulations. However, there is still more that can be done.

I hope that the trend of increasing compensation for football players continues. It's important to recognize the value that these athletes bring to the game and to ensure that they are taken care of both during and after their careers.

Why are you posting AI comments?

• Upvote 1