Visiting fans

redallover

I was looking forward to watching the big game on ESPNU but Spectrum had other ideas. I saw that SMU and UNT both had announced attendance in the 21k range. 

How many Cal fans made the trip to Denton and how does it compare with LaTech? There were more Bulldog band members than other fans so maybe 500 total. I doubt Cal brings a band and May only field a kazoo band anyway. My wife says maybe some UNT professors went to Cal but the likelihood of them attending a football game is small. 

• Upvote 2

For a 3:00pm kick-off for a game too many on GMG were predicting heat strokes for fans, students & football players—here are 2 pics I took near the end of the first half.  (I was surprised with the crowd we did have). A more convenient night game at “the DAT”  would have added 6-7,000 more fans & maybe even closer to capacity.

Lack of consecutive winning seasons & beating ex SWC schools plus annual bowl losses keeps UNT from building onto attendance from prior seasons it seems.  
😱 •••The TV cameras when our games are televised rarely pan our press box side & that side is usually the fuller (& most impressive visually) of the 2 sides.

IMG_9541.thumb.jpeg.be812a1a72da5c307d278f3e03427d8f.jpeg
IMG_9539.thumb.jpeg.2b7df5d88b9624baafc58716dde1616d.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Cal had a decent number of fans. I was surprised by the number that I saw at the Club Level. 

The Dallas Cal Exes Club filled a bus & parked in the orange parking lot where Fouts used to be. The Cal fans I observed (& spoke to) were cordial & were all having a good time at “the Dat.” (Whoever started “the Dat” I like that.  Was it you SUMG?😱🤗🤭

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I’m sure I spoke to more than 500 CAL fans.  From my perch I saw many more blue CAL shirts than I have ever seen SMU fans.  Nice people.  I spoke to one group than came in from San Francisco for the game,  I’d like to continue playing them.

Agreed - very nice and cordial fans.  I could tell from the ones I spoke to that they were almost a little embarrassed by how badly Cal was beating UNT.

• Sad 1

Had four a few rows in front of my seats. Unfortunately, some a-hole on the Club Level decided to dump drinks on them during halftime.  I missed this, as @greenjoewas awarding me my prize in the team store, but my son told me about it when I returned.  Evidently, a nice group of fans on our row help smooth things over because the Cal fans thanked them when they left.

10 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I’m sorry that happened Lifer.  It could have been an accident.  Someone sits their drink on the ledge and it falls over.  Little solace for the people sitting below.  

From what I was told, there was a pretty heated discussion between the Cal fans and whoever was sitting up above.  Thankfully, the folks sitting down the row from me seem to have righted the wrong.  Maybe those up above shouldn't set their drinks on the ledge.  I don't know, but I prefer visiting folks, outside of SMU, to leave our stadium with a good feeling about us and our program.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

There were quite a few Cal fans in the Hub Club.  Actually, in the section of the club level I was in, there may have been more Cal fans that UNT fans.

View of the visiting section:

image.jpeg.58e3a20f2a3987f0d8e89f3d28899588.jpeg

That had to be later in the game but yeah they had over 500 IMO

• Upvote 1