****OFFICIAL CAL va. UNT IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Coach Andy Mac

The majority of this board wishes to play this game like it's still 1998... The days of traditional recruiting are completely over and look at what Texas State is doing right now. We need to drop this whole philosophy of "keeping guys home" and instead invest ourselves into proper talent through the transfer portal and targeting exact position players we need. This is a diluted market for college sports. The only guys you will get from local talent are the one's that every power 5 school in Texas has passed up on. 

Edited by rojomojo
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

The majority of this board wishes to play this game like it's still 1998... The days of traditional recruiting are completely over and look at what Texas State is doing right now. We need to drop this whole philosophy of "keeping guys home" and instead invest ourselves into proper talent through the transfer portal and targeting exact position players we need. This is a diluted market for college sports. The only guys you will get from local talent are the one's that every power 5 school in Texas has passed up on. 

BOOMERS... THE GAME HAS CHANGED... ACCEPT IT

The transfer portal.  hudle. social media.  The world is more accessible than ever.  You go after the players you need, wherever they are.

I don't know how that means to abandon local recruits to you.  I'm not on board with that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm not a keyboard cowboy. I'm Ben Gooding and I hide behind nothing. This is awful football and anyone that disagrees is either blind, dumb, or both. 

And you only show up and post when things go wrong so that you can spew your “superior knowledge” and tell us what wrong ad nauseum. 

• Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Phew... Thank God coach Morris has those Texas high school football connections.... Definitely wouldn't have scored those 21 points if it weren't for his solid relationship with the Pflugerville HS coach

One recruiting class, dumbass, and it was much improved over what Littrell had been producing. They are true freshmen that have been on campus one week. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

My take.

1.  Defense needs help up front to make this ISU system work as we got very little pressure on Cal’s QB. 
2.  Tackling was atrocious and resulted in them breaking long plays from plays that should have been stopped at the line of scrimmage or close to it. 
3.  A new system that deserves more than one game to jell, but they need to hurry. This needs to be our only loss when we return home to face ACU. 
4.  OL surprised me with their ineffective run blocking. 
5. Pass blocking wasn’t terrible.a they provide enough time to get the ball out. 
6.  The lack of creativity in our run game play calling was disappointing. 
7.  Once we fell behind by two scores, I felt that we panicked a little instead of sticking to the game plan. This led to silly mistakes. 
8.  One game people, one game, but we better see marked improvement next week. FIU is terrible and I will be concerned if we don’t blow them out. 
9.  Game production, sound system and band were much better. I had one complaint. Do we need piped in music after every play and for every situation?  Also, the get your threes up is stupid one third downs. 
10.  Kicking game. New kicker looked good and with a strong leg. Punter…ughhhh. 
11.   Concessions, team store, etc were well staffed and stocked. Even had green UNT Concessions shirts for all. CSC staff were pretty good except for the few that decided to stand on the stairways and in the way of people.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

The score speaks for itself but that was atrocious. I couldn’t stay to watch all of it. I was on board with this hire, but he didn’t have a handle on this game, and the team was not prepared.  I expected there would need to be improvement but there is no reason we should be starting this far back.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

There are some people in this world that actually give a shit about their job and the people around them.  How do you know Jared and Morris are not two of them?

The amount of rope they are given to hang themselves at the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year is something even the most successful of us will never know.  

Most CEOs or other misc Chief Officers of public companies (similar pay structure, similar public visibility into performance) never get multiple Quarterly releases much less multiple years to perform poorly and still be employee.  Add a UNT handicap onto that timeline that gives you additional years to try to figure out it, and there's plenty of folks that have well flush accounts because of UNT.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Also, the get your threes up is stupid one third downs.

Especially when the opponent goes *checks notes* 9-for-18 on third down (honestly seemed like a greater percentage than that) and another 3-3 on fourth down.

Don't worry, let's play Sweet Caroline! That'll make everyone go home happy!

• Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

My take.

1.  Defense needs help up front to make this ISU system work as we got very little pressure on Cal’s QB. 
2.  Tackling was atrocious and resulted in them breaking long plays from plays that should have been stopped at the line of scrimmage or close to it. 
3.  A new system that deserves more than one game to jell, but they need to hurry. This needs to be our only loss when we return home to face ACU. 
4.  OL surprised me with their ineffective run blocking. 
5. Pass blocking wasn’t terrible.a they provide enough time to get the ball out. 
6.  The lack of creativity in our run game play calling was disappointing. 
7.  Once we fell behind by two scores, I felt that we panicked a little instead of sticking to the game plan. This led to silly mistakes. 
8.  One game people, one game, but we better see marked improvement next week. FIU is terrible and I will be concerned if we don’t blow them out. 
9.  Game production, sound system and band were much better. I had one complaint. Do we need piped in music after every play and for every situation?  Also, the get your threes up is stupid one third downs. 
10.  Kicking game. New kicker looked good and with a strong leg. Punter…ughhhh. 
11.   Concessions, team store, etc were well staffed and stocked. Even had green UNT Concessions shirts for all. CSC staff were pretty good except for the few that decided to stand on the stairways and in the way of people.

This is a strong summary.  Would add that I also disliked the constant piped in music cranked to 11 between every play.  Couldn’t hold any conversation… which maybe a good thing as the kids in our group couldn’t hear the adults cussing.   That said, A+ on the video highlighting the music talent that came from UNT.  

• Upvote 3