AAC not interested in Oregon State or Washington State.

Arkstfan

Well, Pete Thamel is usually plugged in pretty well. 

This is a failure. MWC will absorb them. The MWC will come after the AAC in some form. It doesn't seem logical for them to, but they have watched their big brother conference implode due to no other geographical footprint taking interest in their product. I think the MWC took notes of that debacle and will come raid who they want out of the AAC in due time. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The MWC will come after the AAC in some form. It doesn't seem logical for them to, but they have watched their big brother conference implode due to no other geographical footprint taking interest in their product. I think the MWC took notes of that debacle and will come raid who they want out of the AAC in due time. 

This...I actually doubt. It doesn't really fit their geographic footprint, and I think all of this realignment news pointed out how that conference basically holds its schools hostage. Unless the AAC was on its deathbed, I can't imagine any current schools leaving for the MWC.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, Pete Thamel is usually plugged in pretty well. 

This is a failure. MWC will absorb them. The MWC will come after the AAC in some form. It doesn't seem logical for them to, but they have watched their big brother conference implode due to no other geographical footprint taking interest in their product. I think the MWC took notes of that debacle and will come raid who they want out of the AAC in due time. 

If Oregon State and WSU moved the needle that much, they wouldn't be left out in the cold like they are.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, MeanGreen22 said:

If Oregon State and WSU moved the needle that much, they wouldn't be left out in the cold like they are.

They don't move the needle that much in regards to national branding and eyeballs. But what they do is still garner "P5" respect in the Pacific Northwest and that allows them to recruit to that respectability. They will still recruit decently well and will be an instant infusion of competitiveness in the MWC (hopefully still AAC). 

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They don't move the needle that much in regards to national branding and eyeballs. But what they do is still garner "P5" respect in the Pacific Northwest and that allows them to recruit to that respectability. They will still recruit decently well and will be an instant infusion of competitiveness in the MWC (hopefully still AAC). 

I get it. Geography is just tough to overcome. Yeah, football and basketball would be fine but all the other sports would suffer trying to get out there. I trust Aresco is going to make prudent decisions to make sure the AAC stays in a good long term position.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Either the two have said no and commish is getting ahead of it, or did the math and can't justify going west.

"enraged"?  Is that a typo?

I think it is a mistake to ends talks now that Stanford and Cal have kissed them goodbye.

They will be in panic mode and ready to sign with anyone offering a deal.

This will give the MWC new life blood, and possibly want to expand more.

I doubt this is as bad as some suggest. 

First of all, losing SMU does hurt the AAC. There is no doubt the conference was stronger with them than without them. But realistically, they don't draw much of an audience. Despite huge advantages in donations and very strong transfer portal results, they still aren't that strong in either football or basketball. In the short term, I don't think being in the ACC is going to help their records in either sport. As for having an odd number of teams, the B1G did it for nearly 20 years as did the old SWC. 

Secondly, Wazzu and Oregon State really never made sense as members of the AAC without at least Cal. Yes, we could go to ESPN and get more money, but do either of those two generate enough increase in rights fees to make up for increased travel and other expenses? If Aresco is saying AAC is no longer interested, then I suspect the money was not enough. It might have been not enough money for Wazzu and OSU, but still not enough money. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I think it is a mistake to ends talks now that Stanford and Cal have kissed them goodbye.

"Student-athlete well-being" are key words in his statement. I'd have liked Oregon State and Washington State on paper but it would have been rough on the athletes. Four west coast schools would have allowed for a West division to limit travel but now it makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

This...I actually doubt. It doesn't really fit their geographic footprint, and I think all of this realignment news pointed out how that conference basically holds its schools hostage. Unless the AAC was on its deathbed, I can't imagine any current schools leaving for the MWC.

This! Don't forget a core group of the MWC has been saying over and over and over for a couple of decades they don't want conference mates in the Central Time Zone. As recently as 2016, AF, Colorado State, and one (maybe 2 or 3) others were very, VERY much opposed to adding schools in the Central time zone. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They would have been good for the AAC.   They don't need "building up" to be recognized names like someone we promote from CUSA or SBC will be.  I think we'll look back on it as a missed opportunity.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Talks ended because one or more of these statements are true.

1. The two schools said no way are we humping that far to play for that amount of money.

2. The AAC membership said no way are we humping that far to play for that amount of money.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

LaTech?

At this point, I think your expansion targets in order are: UTEP, Georgia State, Texas State. None are incredibly attractive (when are they ever), and I could see preferences varying on the first two. This is also assuming that the desire is to get back to 14. It might not make financial sense to do so.

• Downvote 7

Just now, ColoradoEagle said:

At this point, I think your expansion targets in order are: UTEP, Georgia State, Texas State. None are incredibly attractive (when are they ever), and I could see preferences varying on the first two. This is also assuming that the desire is to get back to 14. It might not make financial sense to do so.

I think there's a next to zero chance UTEP is being considered. 

• Upvote 3