PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How is this allowed and how does it not constitute a monopoly?  Seems like it wouldn’t hold up in court. 

The same as I believe it would be hard for the Mountain West teams to disolve the conference to break away and avoid paying a $30 million exit fee. I would think this would get held up in the courts for a long time

On 8/4/2023 at 4:36 PM, rws69 said:

Zach Ballard writing for SB Nation suggested that Mountain West would dissolve, with six stronger programs (AF, Boise, Colo State, Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV) joining the Pac 12 remnants. The problem would be getting nine votes to dissolve with six of the twelve left hanging. 

They only need 7 votes .The MWC killed the 16 team WAC so the existing schools have stabbed their brethren in the back before.

• Upvote 1

A little worried this could all go south real quick. I still find it hard to believe two things, though:

1. Teams are willing to join a PAC with no TV/streaming deal in hand. Are they thinking they will get a better deal than the American currently has?
  2. They would join a conference that seems to be $50 million in debt and has George Kliavkoff as its commissioner.

We might end up with a merger between the MWC and AAC left-behinds. Whatever happens, I have faith in Mike Aresco.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

A little worried this could all go south real quick. I still find it hard to believe two things, though:

1. Teams are willing to join a PAC with no TV/streaming deal in hand. Are they thinking they will get a better deal than the American currently has?
  2. They would join a conference that seems to be $50 million in debt and has George Kliavkoff as its commissioner.

We might end up with a merger between the MWC and AAC left-behinds. Whatever happens, I have faith in Mike Aresco.

Aresco lost his best. It looks like he might lose his next tier of teams. He is about to be the commish of the legitimate cusa 2.0. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Aresco lost his best. It looks like he might lose his next tier of teams. He is about to be the commish of the legitimate cusa 2.0. 

It depends on who leaves. I think SMU would pay to go and Rice would like to be grouped in with Cal and Stanford. Tulane and Tulsa, not so sure. I find it hard to believe Memphis and USF will send all of their teams to the West Coast for the amount of money they will probably get. Also, when the new playoff system starts, I would think it is a safe bet that they will change the rules so that only the top 4 conference champions are automatically included.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would think it'd be attractive to be a member of a conference with autonomy.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:06 PM, Cerebus said:

Never year?

You are right there is no autonomy status if there is no conference.  Thats why you invite 6 MWC members, have them strike down exit fees in the MWC, leave the MWC, join the PAC.

Then there is a PAC with autonomy status.  

The MWC then has to scramble for survival.

Why would any MWC institution pay 34 million dollars in exit fees to go to a conference with no GOR deal? Or want to be part of a George Kliavkoff run conference, that guy just ran the conference into the ground and you’re saying the presidents are going to vote to leave a stable conference for a once that is in complete flux? Far fetched. The PAC is over, the MWC has the leverage here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

44 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Thank you. Those are the two biggest reasons why the PAC is dead…why it would be insane to join the PAC now, the PAC has no leverage. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2023 at 3:52 PM, NT93 said:

Where do I sign?  This is possibly best case scenario for UNT.

Navy has to play in the west division, it was a condition of them joining the AAC. They want to be in the Texas recruiting market. 

A very interesting article on several issues: future CFP, SEC expansion, ACC collapse like PAC…. some teams to AAC?

Only two moves left to be made to end conference realignment, both will be led by the SEC

https://www.dominionpost.com/2023/08/05/column-only-two-moves-left-to-be-made-to-end-conference-realignment-both-will-be-led-by-the-sec/

15 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is just a word. That meaning of that word will prove to be fluid. By fluid, I mean they're going to let that stay put. 

I know you're very doomsday about this - that in the end, all of us (including PAC) are going to be left out - but until then, what should Aresco and Jared do?  I don't think it makes sense to sit on our ass, laugh at those trying, and wave a white flag.  Pursue it, even if you're not sure when/how change happens.

• Thanks 2

Just now, greenminer said:

I know you're very doomsday about this - that in the end, all of us (including PAC) are going to be left out - but until then, what should Aresco and Jared do?  I don't think it makes sense to sit on our ass, laugh at those trying, and wave a white flag.  Pursue it, even if you're not sure when/how change happens.

Oh, I'm not doomsday. Best case scenario Aresco gets the pac4 in the AAC with higher cuts for them and eventually us for football and basketball only. And that could very well happen. 

Worse case and most probable, cusa 2.0.  

• Upvote 1