PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

For PACx to survive:

• They need to get to 8 FBS playing members to be an FBS conference.
  • They need to get to 7 DIV I members to stay a DIV 1 multisport conference and keep receiving the NCAA Tournament units. 

NCAA Bylaw 20.02.6 Football Bowl Subdivision Conference. A conference classified as a Football Bowl Subdivision conference shall be comprised of at least eight full Football Bowl Subdivision members that satisfy all bowl subdivision requirements. An institution shall be included as one of the eight full Football Bowl Subdivision members only if the institution participates in the conference schedule in at least six men's and eight women's conference-sponsored sports, including men's basketball and football and three women's team sports, including women's basketball. A conference-sponsored sport shall be a sport in which regular- season and/or championship opportunities are provided, consistent with the minimum standards identified by the applicable NCAA sport committee for automatic qualification. (Adopted: 10/31/02 effective 8/1/05, Revised: 12/15/06)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

A merger with the MWC, and they keep the PAC name?

Depending on what kind of deal the PAC can get that might be what happens. If they invite they agree to invite the MWC fully the members can vote to dissolve the MWC, meaning they get to keep their tourney credits, and move to the PAC. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

The remaining Pac isn't picking apart anyone, that's a really horrible take from the writer.

30 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Two things to remember about the "who survives, the PAC or the MWC" discussion:

• The PAC is owed a lot of NCAA Tourney credits for the next five years.  
  • The  PAC is granted autonomy status under NCAA rules by name

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rws69 said:

Zach Ballard writing for SB Nation suggested that Mountain West would dissolve, with six stronger programs (AF, Boise, Colo State, Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV) joining the Pac 12 remnants. The problem would be getting nine votes to dissolve with six of the twelve left hanging. 

MWC bylaws are online, I think they only need 7 of 12. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

What are the exit fees for the American? I believe the MWC is $17 million

The MWC exit fee is $34 million through 2024.  The fee after that has yet to be determined.  I hope that no one's thinking of leaving the AAC (except SMU, who, if they get the right deal, has the money to pay it.)  The right deal is anything that would make them a P5.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I realize all most think of is football,

It isn’t about football or educating future professionals and leaders; it is about MONEY generation.  If your programs win but don’t generate big viewership numbers in key markets and 40k+ home stadium tickets sales the people offering media contracts don’t care.  Stanford water polo, volleyball, track, fencing, gymnastics or etc isn’t generating significant revenue from media.  It sucks and I believe we going to a 30-50 team super FBS with regular season with a lot less drama and very few annual regional rivalries.  These big programs could have been playing each other regularly out of conference for decades but didn’t.  Now ironically when Conference play dictate them playing when they are both highly ranked it will lack drama because the top 4 teams from SEC, Big 10, and likely/hopefully the Big 12 🤷🏽‍♂️ will be in the playoff every year.  And in many years they might rematch in a conference championship game or excuse my 🤮🤮 “conference playoff game”.   I’m not interested in semi-pro leagues whether it USFL, CFL, AAFL, XFL or whatever this Super FBS ends up being. These checks they are writing are going to come due.  Fans will check out and organically without their greedy short sightedness assistance, sport interest  in younger generations is on the decline.  My teenage sons haven’t sat down to watch a NFL, NBA, or MLB game on their own in years but they all about their favorite YouTubers and Twitch Streamers.  Hell a Twitch Streamer started a riot in NYC requiring a 1000 NYPD officers to respond.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Have you ever watched a usf game? Attendance is no bueno. 

I have watched USF and their attendance looks worst than it actually is.  Raymond James Stadium holds 70k (expandable to 75k).  When they were on the cusp of being BCS Bowl Buster they averaged over 40k.  Beyond Rice or SMU we need to pause whenever being critical of another AAC program’s attendance.  

IMG_1383.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The MWC by laws are online.

Just a quick glance but it seems that a majority of the members can:

So if 7 of the 12 voted for it, they could simply strike out these payout rules:

So in other words, if the PACx invites at least 7 members of the MWC, the members can vote to cancel out the exit fees, and then resign from the MWC and accept the PACx invite.

So if the PAC 12 invites Fresno ST.,UNLV, AFA, Colorado State,Boise St. , Utah State, and SDSU , and they cancel out the exit fees then , move to the PAC hopefully taking SMU with them and they have 12 programs. The " left behind" programs can join the WAC or CUSA. However, like any divorce, the PAC 4 are going to learn to live on a lot less than $30 million a year and cut their other athletic programs to the bone

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, wardly said:

So if the PAC 12 invites Fresno ST.,UNLV, AFA, Colorado State,Boise St. , Utah State, and SDSU , and they cancel out the exit fees then , move to the PAC hopefully taking SMU with them and they have 12 programs. The " left behind" programs can join the WAC or CUSA. However, like any divorce, the PAC 4 are going to learn to live on a lot less than $30 million a year and cut their other athletic programs to the bone

Oh there is no doubt the PACx of the future is not the PAC12 of the past, but it will survive.  MWC should be concerned.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

After SDSU’s run you think their BBall credits are as much as the PACs? 

They are actually higher this year, but remember its on a five year sliding scale, so PAC’s money will be higher,.

Fair warning: I don’t know the exact numbers, this is what some NCAA basketball nerds have posted.  

• Upvote 1

I like that Aresco seems to be holding his cards close to his chest. I bet he plans a work through with the MWC based on the PACS move. I could see the  PAC going the way of the SWC and disappearing. I could see the pairing of programs to make sure everyone has a home. I could see an outright poaching attempt. But Aresco isn’t sitting still despite the silence. 

Leftover programs after the PAC invites leave only 1 that fits our profile and two maybes. 

San Jose State fits the AAC. 
Hawaii and New Mexico are stretches but could have some intrigue. 

Personally without some anchors in Colorado I wouldn’t go too far west. Better situation would be UNLV, SDSU, San Jose State or Fresno, Boise, AF, Colorado State. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

Would be cool to get some names like Cal and Stanford in the same conference, but I think you need more teams in that area to make it feasible. Colorado State and Air Force would be nice but I don't think they would bail on the MWC if that's where the Pac-4 reminants end up. I think it's a "merge" with the MWC but I would think a rebrand to the Pac-16 or whatever.

Who would have thought CUSA would outlive the Pac-12?

• Upvote 1