PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

I believe the Pacific Conference is done for.  They asked for $50 million per university per year TV rights and I don't think that they can get half that much.  The only two left standing are Oregon State and Washington State for sure.  Oregon and Washington are trying to go to the B1G.  The Big XII are looking at Arizona, Arizona State, and possibly Utah.  They already have Colorado.  If Stanford and Cal don't get an offer from a P5 they're likely to go independent.  The Mountain West may have seen this coming because there's a $34 million buyout per school and who knows what the entry fee would be to the Pac 12?  None of the MWC can afford that kind of money to get on a sinking ship.  Even if Cal and Stanford decided to stay; a four member conference wouldn't work.  The four...Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State would have to be independent or join the MWC, the AAC, or both.

I'm warming my bugle up to play "Taps".

x

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I believe the Pacific Conference is done for.  They asked for $50 million per university per year TV rights and I don't think that they can get half that much.  The only two left standing are Oregon State and Washington State for sure.  Oregon and Washington are trying to go to the B1G.  The Big XII are looking at Arizona, Arizona State, and possibly Utah.  They already have Colorado.  If Stanford and Cal don't get an offer from a P5 they're likely to go independent.  The Mountain West may have seen this coming because there's a $34 million buyout per school and who knows what the entry fee would be to the Pac 12?  None of the MWC can afford that kind of money to get on a sinking ship.  Even if Cal and Stanford decided to stay; a four member conference wouldn't work.  The four...Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State would have to be independent or join the MWC, the AAC, or both.

x

I think this is best case scenario for UNT.  Otherwise we may end up in CUSA 2.0.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

x

There is good news for us. This is the best AND most likely scenario once the dust settles. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

21 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Of course they are.  The B1G will never take them, and the Big 12 would be a geographical nightmare--and I doubt even the Big 12 would take them, if they could poach one or two more PAC schools first.

Yes, saying you’re “loyal” to the PAC in this situation says you have no other potential options. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Oregon and Washington are trying to go to the B1G. 

The best case scenario is that the Big 10 comes out and says they will not expand under any circumstances without a raise in the per team payout.   I don't think Fox, ABC/ESPN/Disney, CBS and NBC are interested in committing more money to CFB distribution without seeing the viewership numbers for the 1st season of the expanded Big 10 with USC and UCLA.  Their commissioner basically said that if you read between the lines of his last statement when asked about expansion beyond USC and UCLA. 

I would love to talk to someone in the industry to figure out if investing in stocks that own over the air local stations is a good investment.  I believe they are currently still undervalued.  I think the Pac 12 mistake was the Pac 12 Network letting cable and satellite distributers being the gate keepers of access to their network.   Outlets like the owners of StadiumTV would have been their best option.   StadiumTV has the flexibility to get on over the air and streaming.   Because even now 1/4 of US households don't have home internet.  I have never had the need to tether my 65 inch home TV to my iPhone hotspot but I believe watching live sports that way would be glitchy.  Not to mention even it works perfectly smooth you still could get a phone call during a huge play.

Anything to provide counter balance to the growth of super conferences is what I am rooting for.  And the survival of the Pac 12 that minimally still includes; WSU, Cal, Stanford, OSU, Arizona, Utah, and ASU is the most possible outcome that preserves a Pac that can recover.   You add 4 MWC teams; SDSU, UNLV, Hawaii, and CSU (secondary choices Boise State, Fresno State, Air Force) and I think you have a stable conference that Big 10 would have to overpay members to leave.  I think the SEC and Big 10 growing beyond what their size today is in no one's best interest except the people in those conference admin offices on payroll.   Forget NIL and Coaches those conference admins (and NCAA administration) LAST people that deserve more money.   I hope everyone agrees with that at least.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The best case scenario is that the Big 10 comes out and says they will not expand under any circumstances without a raise in the per team payout.   I don't think Fox, ABC/ESPN/Disney, CBS and NBC are interested in committing more money to CFB distribution without seeing the viewership numbers for the 1st season of the expanded Big 10 with USC and UCLA.  Their commissioner basically said that if you read between the lines of his last statement when asked about expansion beyond USC and UCLA. 

I would love to talk to someone in the industry to figure out if investing in stocks that own over the air local stations is a good investment.  I believe they are currently still undervalued.  I think the Pac 12 mistake was the Pac 12 Network letting cable and satellite distributers being the gate keepers of access to their network.   Outlets like the owners of StadiumTV would have been their best option.   StadiumTV has the flexibility to get on over the air and streaming.   Because even now 1/4 of US households don't have home internet.  I have never had the need to tether my 65 inch home TV to my iPhone hotspot but I believe watching live sports that way would be glitchy.  Not to mention even it works perfectly smooth you still could get a phone call during a huge play.

Anything to provide counter balance to the growth of super conferences is what I am rooting for.  And the survival of the Pac 12 that minimally still includes; WSU, Cal, Stanford, OSU, Arizona, Utah, and ASU is the most possible outcome that preserves a Pac that can recover.   You add 4 MWC teams; SDSU, UNLV, Hawaii, and CSU (secondary choices Boise State, Fresno State, Air Force) and I think you have a stable conference that Big 10 would have to overpay members to leave.  I think the SEC and Big 10 growing beyond what their size today is in no one's best interest except the people in those conference admin offices on payroll.   Forget NIL and Coaches those conference admins (and NCAA administration) LAST people that deserve more money.   I hope everyone agrees with that at least.

I'm not sure that stabilizes anything. The eyeball draw to the pac12 has always been USC, UCLA, Oregon and Wash. Everyone else associated up to this point has simply been the benefactor. You take those 4 out, at minimum, how are they going to dictate terms to TV executives? IMO, they're not. They will scrounge for peanuts like the rest of us. If those 4 leave AND the 3 remaining four corner schools, that's a wrap. The conference will 100% fold. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

One of the early prognosticators of CU to the B12 says Arizona is a done deal this week. Fireworks if true. 

Swaim just replicates what others say with more clickbait. 

He's likely riffing off the Arizona 247 publisher Scheer who says the conference is supposed to present numbers on Tuesday, and that he predicts they will not be good enough and Arizona will then leave.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

The Big 12 is not scary. I don’t care who joins. The AAC needs its new and established programs to bring it, every game, every opportunity. The gap between the 12 and our new league has closed not widened.

All programs outside the sec and big will have to work like heck to compete and make their mark. And the opportunity is there whether you are 12, mountain, American, pacific, Atlantic, sun belt or mid. 

A new day a new way.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

As hysterical as this situation may be for SMU, I've been really turned off by how big these conferences are getting. I mean, how much more TV money is there to be given?

If the rumors are true of the Big 10 adding Oregon, Washington, Clemson, and Florida State, you're at 20 teams. You've gotten to the point where your basketball teams can't even play every school in conference play.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

As hysterical as this situation may be for SMU, I've been really turned off by how big these conferences are getting. I mean, how much more TV money is there to be given?

If the rumors are true of the Big 10 adding Oregon, Washington, Clemson, and Florida State, you're at 20 teams. You've gotten to the point where your basketball teams can't even play every school in conference play.

Too much of a good thing…

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

It will end up being like the AFC vs NFC of college football.   20 teams was the number many were saying the two Super Conferences were aiming for.   But remember, they can't all be winners!  If your team finishes #15-20 in the new league maybe your fans start thinking #1-2 in your old smaller conference wasn't so bad after all.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

new league maybe your fans start thinking #1-2 in your old smaller conference wasn't so bad after all.

Yes! Remember, the University Presidents liked the 16 member WAC until they were experiencing it for a few years. Fans (donors!) started asking the universities what could be done to improve fan experiences like making road games something they could do as car trips. Not wanting to go back to that is why the fans/donors at CSU, Wyoming, Air Force and UNLV continue to say the don't want any members in the Central time zone. 

• Upvote 1

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff set to present media rights deal to member schools, per reports

"Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff is expected to present a potential media rights deal to member institutions within the next 48 hours, according to multiple reports."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-commissioner-george-kliavkoff-set-to-present-media-rights-deal-to-member-schools-per-reports/

21 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

You've gotten to the point where your basketball teams can't even play every school in conference play.

Yep absolutely ridiculous.  The media partners are going to take a bath with these deals with the Super Conferences.  There is a huge inventory of conference games that will never be appointment TV for most casual football fans.  All these lesser than programs in these super leagues become less relevant with each additional member.  

• Upvote 1