Mason Fine taking over in Saskatchewan

“Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Trevor Harris sustained a tibial plateau fracture of his right knee midway through the fourth quarter of our home game Saturday night.

Unfortunately, this is a significant injury and he will soon undergo surgery in Regina.

We are optimistic Trevor will make a full recovery and are not ready to rule out a return at some point later in the season.

We know Trevor will tackle his recovery with the same focus and tenacity he shows on the football field.

Moving Forward, Mason Fine will be our starting quarterback.”

Great opportunity for Fine to shine, as it's likely he will have the rest of the season (15 games) to make a bigger name for himself.

He went 6-8 for 116 yards and 2 late TDs last weekend, including a miraculous 66-yard score that gave the Riders the lead with less than a minute to play. Unfortunately Sask's D gave up a walk-off FG to Calgary.

Saskatchewan travels to Vancouver to play the first place Lions this week so Mason will have a tough test to take on immediately.

On the 29th, Saskatchewan will face Toronto in the annual Touchdown Atlantic game in Nova Scotia. This could give Mason the chance to really make his name known to CFL fans.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

Their starter has a tibia fracture and while Riders are hopeful for his return, I wouldn't hold my breath.  If you remember the movie Durham Bulls, "Crash" the catcher was giving his rookie pitcher tips about what to say to the media when he gets to the majors. In his interviews in Saskatchewan Fine follows that script to a tee. It's the most vanilla sports interview you will ever see. He really comes across as a fine young man, pun intended.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, wardly said:

Their starter has a tibia fracture and while Riders are hopeful for his return, I wouldn't hold my breath.  If you remember the movie Durham Bulls, "Crash" the catcher was giving his rookie pitcher tips about what to say to the media when he gets to the majors. In his interviews in Saskatchewan Fine follows that script to a tee. It's the most vanilla sports interview you will ever see. He really comes across as a fine young man, pun intended.

yeah, the starter had a nasty injury, hoping he has a swift recovery

• Skeptical Eagle 1

On 7/17/2023 at 4:53 PM, Matt from A700 said:

Great opportunity for Fine to shine, as it's likely he will have the rest of the season (15 games) to make a bigger name for himself.

He went 6-8 for 116 yards and 2 late TDs last weekend, including a miraculous 66-yard score that gave the Riders the lead with less than a minute to play. Unfortunately Sask's D gave up a walk-off FG to Calgary.

Saskatchewan travels to Vancouver to play the first place Lions this week so Mason will have a tough test to take on immediately.

On the 29th, Saskatchewan will face Toronto in the annual Touchdown Atlantic game in Nova Scotia. This could give Mason the chance to really make his name known to CFL fans.

Without remembering CFL rules, it took me a while to realize that this was essentially 4th down and that's why Mason Fine threw it up

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Mason was given the opportunity at the end of last year, and honestly, he did not step up. I think the biggest issue is their O-line is horrendous. Hopefully, they can do a better job protecting Mason this time around. 

Good luck to Mason!

I have watched some CFL game action this year.  I don't like the 3-down-series in the CFL to gain a first down.   A dropped pass or two short gains and the punt team is coming onto the field.  It stifles the flow of the offense in the game.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NT80 said:

SSK Fan Forum thread on Mason Fine taking over as QB....

https://www.riderfans.com/forum/forum/main-forum/996067-everything-mason-fine

Fairly consistent everyone seems to be worried about the offensive line. From the little I watched their games last season and this year, they are right to be concerned, 

BC is also the best team in the West. This week they play Toronto, the best (and undefeated) team in the East.

One bright side for Mason is that the game is in Nova Scotia for the league's annual Touchdown Atlantic game (who knows if the Atlantic Schooners will ever be a thing). Most CFL fans will be tuning in, so if the Riders feel the need to move on, his name awareness should still grow if he has a good game.

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2023 at 9:54 PM, NT93 said:

Terrible late game play calling and clock management by Saskatchewan.

SSK fans on their fan forum were complaining that the playcalling was bad.  Long passes were limited and runs up the middle were too frequent. 

41 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

SSK lost to Toronto 31-13 today.

Mason was 27-39 for 302 yards and 2 INT. He was relieved at some point and the back up was 4-5 for 100 yards and a TD.

I watched most of the game through the 3rd quarter before tuning out. That offensive line is just horrible. He'd have pressure in his face immediately after receiving the snap. Most incompletions are from being rushed into the pass and getting hit while releasing the ball. Could have had a TD to close the first half after great field positioning. Fine gets them down inside the 5 and they run it up the middle. RB loses the ball while fighting for more yards. Just poor quality play all over that offense.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1