Not sure AAC schools are excited about us joining

33 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Yes we are in big metros, but we have to establish a winning tradition to gain more of that metro share. We have a lot of alums, but we need to do Tulane/Cincy/UCF/Houston type things to change our culture. I really hope Aresco is around for quite a bit longer as he clearly knows how to build up programs, and let's hope all of the teams in the AAC are committed to investing and making the conference stronger. 

That's one of the frustrating things about Rice, they could be a powerhouse if the actually tried. I'd love for UNT to have the types of resources they have. 

Rice is a great academic school per most metrics

Not sure why you think it would be easy for Rice to be a powerhouse in athletics.

They have a huge endowment but I would guess that most is in restricted funds, primarily for academics.

On the down side, they are a tiny school with very limited numbers of alumni, and in the same town with a much more successful athletic program in UH.  Rice is just not an institution that the average sports fan is going to be drawn to.  They play in a great football stadium circa 50 years ago, but now is far from ideal.  The basketball arena is simply bad.  

If Rice had not been fortunate enough to be part of the old SWC, they would probably not even be a D1 school.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

That's one of the frustrating things about Rice, they could be a powerhouse if the actually tried. I'd love for UNT to have the types of resources they have. 

Rice was a power in the 1940-50’s. They beat Alabama badly in the 1954 Cotton Bowl and were a charter member of the SWC.  
Sadly their administration doesn’t put much effort now into football.  Similar to when Hurley was in charge at NT. 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe that the AAC will learn to love the new programs. I hate to use these words but the upside potential of the new programs, now that we are in a top six conference,  is even better than before. As an AAC member we will get more money and more exposure. The UNT administration could also increase our revenue through new stadium naming rights, increased attendance and better fundraising. I am optimistic that the future is bright and it is Green, as in MEAN GREEN!

• Haha 1

The only thing I know about realignment is that literally no one is happy about either the school leaving or the schools coming into a conference in….any conference. A lot of these fan bases need a dose of reality, there is literally no where else for some of these schools to go. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Rice is a great academic school per most metrics

Not sure why you think it would be easy for Rice to be a powerhouse in athletics.

They have a huge endowment but I would guess that most is in restricted funds, primarily for academics.

On the down side, they are a tiny school with very limited numbers of alumni, and in the same town with a much more successful athletic program in UH.  Rice is just not an institution that the average sports fan is going to be drawn to.  They play in a great football stadium circa 50 years ago, but now is far from ideal.  The basketball arena is simply bad.  

If Rice had not been fortunate enough to be part of the old SWC, they would probably not even be a D1 school.  

Rice has alumni with very very deep pockets that regularly donate. The school just doesn't prioritize athletics. If they did they could easily invest more into their programs and get a better athletic reputation, again they just choose not to. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

who cares, dude will just cry himself to sleep when we whoop their asses

Agreed, and if you read a few of his comments you will quickly come to realize that he is just spouting personal opinions as his "facts" are anything but.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Agreed, and if you read a few of his comments you will quickly come to realize that he is just spouting personal opinions as his "facts" are anything but.

I’m really not out here trying to defend FAU, but he mostly cares about basketball and he tries to say they had countless super seniors lol. FAU basketball is incredibly young…. He says UAB is the only threat when we just beat them to win the NIT lol. He simply doesn’t know anything about the new teams and I really hope his precious basketball team gets its ass kicked by these legit basketball teams we have coming from CUSA.

• Upvote 5

On 6/3/2023 at 12:39 PM, Green Otaku said:

SMU fans are like spoiled rich kids, Memphis fans I'd say are more like incels. "I deserve a hot chick! Why are they not throwing themselves at me, don't they know how cool I am??!!"

The only G5 school fans I feel sorry for us Boise State.  If it were about on the field merit they would have been one of the first “promoted” to P5.   Memphis is much closer to our level than ready for a promotion to P5. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Coltonw83 said:

I’m really not out here trying to defend FAU, but he mostly cares about basketball and he tries to say they had countless super seniors lol. FAU basketball is incredibly young…. He says UAB is the only threat when we just beat them to win the NIT lol. He simply doesn’t know anything about the new teams and I really hope his precious basketball team gets its ass kicked by these legit basketball teams we have coming from CUSA.

Nothing wrong with being a Memphis homer, but he lost me with that roster/eligibility tweet.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

The only G5 school fans I feel sorry for us Boise State.  If it were about on the field merit they would have been one of the first “promoted” to P5.   Memphis is much closer to our level than ready for a promotion to P5. 

Boise State will always be massively held back by their academics. It really is a metric that holds weight when considering expansion candidates, and while many don't expect schools to be elite they at least want them to be respectable. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Boise State will always be massively held back by their academics. It really is a metric that holds weight when considering expansion candidates, and while many don't expect schools to be elite they at least want them to be respectable. 

Don't know furr shurrr, but I suspect Liberty is going to challenge this as we move through the next decade.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

Yes, but should it be a major factor?  These are sports conferences we are talking about.  This involves brand value in athletics over value in academics.  Media right$ and merchandise sale$ are based on sports power rankings and fan support, not endowment size or AAU status.

The PAC12 has a real dilemma with Academics and Expansion.  Academics are a major factor in expansion schools to their Presidents and BORs.   AD's however want quality sports programs added, for strength of schedule and media.  Also, geography limits schools with both those qualities being close by.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Yes, but should it be a major factor?  These are sports conferences we are talking about.  This involves brand value in athletics over value in academics.  Media right$ and merchandise sale$ are based on sports power rankings and fan support, not endowment size or AAU status.

The PAC12 has a real dilemma with Academics and Expansion.  Academics are a major factor in expansion schools to their Presidents and BORs.   AD's however want quality sports programs added, for strength of schedule and media.  Also, geography limits schools with both those qualities being close by.

I think there is a component we as fans don't see. Utah really upped it's research and spending after joining the PAC. These schools form collectives and freely exchange research amongst each other. Having access to research from schools like UCLA, Berkeley, and Stanford is a huge help. This is why all of these schools have had some resistance about leaving the PAC. So while athletics is the point of a conference, the academic side is also impacted. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Don't know furr shurrr, but I suspect Liberty is going to challenge this as we move through the next decade.

They are going to have to go on some Cincy type of CFP run to overcome that. If you think about it, it took a desperate and falling apart CUSA for them to get into a conference. 

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

AD's however want quality sports programs added, for strength of schedule and media.  Also, geography limits schools with both those qualities being close by.

This is why I don’t understand the PAC 12 not being aggressive negotiating a phased shutdown of the Longhorn Network to add UT or adding Texas Tech and Houston.   Hell they could have even added New Mexico to geographically lock up the entire Southwest to Southern California.   Also BYU was available so many options but arrogance and complacency killed them.

• Upvote 1