Sorry but I feel like they screwed us

Jonnyeagle

With 26 wins UNT had every right to be invited.  The tournament loves a Cinderella story and we have played that role recently.  Can’t say it was an oversight but I’m on board with this article that the committee chose wrong. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/heres-what-the-mens-ncaa-tournament-selection-committee-got-right-and-wrong-005100490.html

• Upvote 4

Of course, if we want to hold up the NET as a factor, Nevada was just above us.  I wish we'd gotten in too, but I don't think we were screwed either.  Trying to fit about 80 teams into 68 slots is hard.  That's why it is an honor any time you go to the Dance.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Unfortunately, if you take away the Rice and Charlotte losses, I am still not confident we get in with a 28-5 record. We still wouldn't have been the regular season champ nor made it to the tourney final.

When does the selection committee look at all of our consecutive 20-win seasons and realize our successful season may not be a fluke after all?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Unfortunately, if you take away the Rice and Charlotte losses, I am still not confident we get in with a 28-5 record. We still wouldn't have been the regular season champ nor made it to the tourney final.

When does the selection committee look at all of our consecutive 20-win seasons and realize our successful season may not be a fluke after all?

Meh. Not about consecutive 20 win seasons. Gotta win at the right time. We always seem to have bad losses late in the year, and can't get a huge signature noncon win.

I think if we made it to the final either last year or this year we woulda had a better shot. 

• Upvote 4

I'm extremely torn on all of this. We were the highest NET rated team to get passed up for the tournament, but we really didn't do ourselves any favors losing to Rice and Charlotte. Overall, I think it's just garbage. The committee picks their favorites regardless of NET, quality wins, etc. Look no further than the garbage explanation given on why UH was chosen as the 1 overall seed even though KU had the most quad 1 wins in the country by over double the next closest school. They'll always find some garbage way to justify bringing in bad P5 schools while leaving good G5 schools out. 

• Upvote 3

I dont see it that way... CUSA was a 3 team conference, the rest of the conference was bad, and I think they took the best of the 3 top teams, FAU.  I think the losses to Rice and Charlotte probably hurt us more in the NET then it did with the committee.  In the end UNT had 1 Q1 win (UAB had 2), and loosing to them in the CUSA tournament pretty much meant that UNT would not be dancing. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

I dont see it that way... CUSA was a 3 team conference, the rest of the conference was bad, and I think they took the best of the 3 top teams, FAU.  I think the losses to Rice and Charlotte probably hurt us more in the NET then it did with the committee.  In the end UNT had 1 Q1 win (UAB had 2), and loosing to them in the CUSA tournament pretty much meant that UNT would not be dancing. 

CUSA got no respect.  1 bid conference again. FAU wins 31 games and is given a 9 seed, lol.
Glad we are getting out and headed to AAC. 

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Of course, if we want to hold up the NET as a factor, Nevada was just above us.  I wish we'd gotten in too, but I don't think we were screwed either.  Trying to fit about 80 teams into 68 slots is hard.  That's why it is an honor any time you go to the Dance.

There are 30 'big' conference schools that are interchangeably set in stone as non-champion AQ's. Many of them with wins in the teens. Several double digit loss squads sitting on the 6 line or better. 

This is where the glaring problem lies. The neverending benefit of the doubt. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

CUSA got no respect.  1 bid conference again. FAU wins 31 games and is given a 9 seed, lol.
Glad we are getting out and headed to AAC. 

Does the conference really deserve respect?  Outside of FAU, UAB, and UNT the rest of the conference was terrible.  Those 3 schools fought it out during the regular season, and the conference tournament, and the best team is going to the dance.  

FAU as a 9 seed, I am good with that, 8 seed plays 9 seed on a neutral court so there is really no difference.  I do think it is interesting that FAU will play Memphis, the only 8/9 match up involving two schools from mid majors.  

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Unfortunately, if you take away the Rice and Charlotte losses, I am still not confident we get in with a 28-5 record. 

The loss at home to Rice hurt us the most. The loss to UNCW on a neutral court was the next worst loss.

If we had won the home game against Rice I think we would have made the cut. A win against Rice and UNCW would definitely have gotten us in. The Charlotte loss on the Road did not hurt us nearly as much as the other two losses.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Does the conference really deserve respect?  Outside of FAU, UAB, and UNT the rest of the conference was terrible.  Those 3 schools fought it out during the regular season, and the conference tournament, and the best team is going to the dance.  

FAU as a 9 seed, I am good with that, 8 seed plays 9 seed on a neutral court so there is really no difference.  I do think it is interesting that FAU will play Memphis, the only 8/9 match up involving two schools from mid majors.  

I just laughed when I saw that. You know that was a calculated decision. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

It absolutely sucks but we didn’t take care of business when we needed to.  Weird how deflating an NIT bid can be.  Trying to not be an entitled ahole but it’s frustrating seeing this good of a team fall short of their potential. 

I'm not deflated.  If we get to Vegas that'd be a tremendous accomplishment, up there with winning a game in the Dance.

I hope the guys on the team aren't too deflated though.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I'm not deflated.  If we get to Vegas that'd be a tremendous accomplishment, up there with winning a game in the Dance.

I hope the guys on the team aren't too deflated though.

I feel somewhat deflated.  My girlfriend is excited though because she is off Wed and will be able to watch most if not all of the game.

• Upvote 1

I was disappointed when we lost on Friday.  I had moved on by Saturday and by yesterday was excited for the NIT.  I knew we weren't getting in, so I think that helped.  I never believed the idea we could sneak in the backdoor.  I've watched too many Selection Sundays to know if we had a shot we'd have been in more of the projected brackets.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I feel somewhat deflated.  My girlfriend is excited though because she is off Wed and will be able to watch most if not all of the game.

If you are deflated and your girlfriend is still excited, then she is definitely a keeper. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

Might want to warn her in advance that McCasland has been know to get in player's faces and, at time, elevate his voice.  Just assure her he does it from a posture of love and caring.

• Haha 4