@ Charlotte (2/23/2023)

greenminer

Who you got?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. UNT (23-5, 14-3) @ Charlotte (16-11, 7-9)

• Mean Green Eagles
    • 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/24/2023 at 12:30 AM

i have no data to back up this statement, but, is it just me, or has the offense picked up the pace lately?

I feel like since the Rice game, our offense has not decided to run the clock as much. is there a simple way to look up splits on time per possession this year?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i have no data to back up this statement, but, is it just me, or has the offense picked up the pace lately?

I feel like since the Rice game, our offense has not decided to run the clock as much. is there a simple way to look up splits on time per possession this year?

I was thinking the same thing. The offense is not so much milking the clock, it’s waiting for the right moment to drive, cut, shoot.

IIRC, Grant chewed out Perry for not shooting at 7 secs left in the clock when he had the shot.  TP had settled for a bad shot. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I was thinking the same thing. The offense is not so much milking the clock, it’s waiting for the right moment to drive, cut, shoot.

IIRC, Grant chewed out Perry for not shooting at 7 secs left in the clock when he had the shot.  TP had settled for a bad shot. 

I'd like to see shot clock violation stats.  I bet we lead the country in those, lol.  We were becoming too predictable. 

Part of the new success has been Huntsberry driving the lane and making layups.  He is so quick in there and a leaper.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, golfingomez said:

This is being talked about more in the broadcasts and podcasts.  Players are seemingly comfortable with their roles now.  Guys seem to know more about what the expectations are, and the system is being embraced.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, golfingomez said:

All it took was the [shot] clock going out at the Rice game.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Big Z said:

If we win this game, do you think we will get some top 25 votes in the rankings? 

I think it's likely.  I can't guarantee it without knowing how other games will play out, but it makes a lot of sense, especially if we were to pick up one more solid road win.  In this week's AP poll, Kent State, Southern Miss, and College of Charleston each received between 2-4 votes.  Those 3 are all below NT in NET ranking, they all have similar records (2 of the 3 also have 5 losses), and they're all from conferences currently rated lower (according to RPI) than CUSA.  It's not an exact science, but I feel like those examples above are a decent barometer of what NT should/shouldn't expect.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, BleedingGreen said:

We have to win the tournament to get into the NCAAs even if we win the next 5 and lose to FAU in the final. We might make the first four out but that’s at best.  Not being negative just realistic. 

I think we will be in the bubble discussion if and only if we lose in the final to FAU.  Any other loss would be doom.

What I worry about, and not a lot of people are talking about right now, is the total madness that is conference tournaments.  You can always count on a small handful of underdogs making huge runs, winning the auto-bids when they otherwise would have never been considered for the NCAA, and consequently knocking bubble teams out of the picture.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

I think we will be in the bubble discussion if and only if we lose in the final to FAU.  Any other loss would be doom.

What I worry about, and not a lot of people are talking about right now, is the total madness that is conference tournaments.  You can always count on a small handful of underdogs making huge runs, winning the auto-bids when they otherwise would have never been considered for the NCAA, and consequently knocking bubble teams out of the picture.

We are gonna create that chaos!

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

They’ll never do this but conference “tournaments” should be top four teams. That’s it. Best team has home court for the tourney. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, CMJ said:

I thought this was a pretty good rundown.  Note, he doesn't give us a very high chance for an at-large.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2023/2/22/23602541/college-basketball-mens-ncaa-tournament-projection-bubble-picture-locks-02-22-2023

We arent getting an At-Large bid.  Our conference is simply not strong enough and the aren’t going to change that.  This is a 1-bid league.  Next year, We will be in an ocean that raises all boats a little higher.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, 2020 Sucks said:

We arent getting an At-Large bid.  Our conference is simply not strong enough and the aren’t going to change that.  This is a 1-bid league.  Next year, We will be in an ocean that raises all boats a little higher.

I mean if you look at the rundown, the AAC isn't in much better shape right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

I mean if you look at the rundown, the AAC isn't in much better shape right now.

It sure isn't once Houston leaves. I really think UNT, UAB, and maybe FAU (obviously having a good season but need to see it more than once) have what it takes to keep the basketball side of the AAC up but don't know if it'll be enough to earn multiple bids moving forward. Current NET rankings:

#1 UH, #20 FAU, #39 Memphis, #46 UNT, #64 UAB, #76 UCF, #80 Cincy, #87 Tulane.

That's the top 100 between the current AAC and CUSA. We lose UH, UCF, and Cincy but at least replace Cincy and UCF with better teams as they are this season. Going to need strong OOC wins next season if the new AAC wants multiple bids.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

9 hours ago, CMJ said:

I thought this was a pretty good rundown.  Note, he doesn't give us a very high chance for an at-large.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2023/2/22/23602541/college-basketball-mens-ncaa-tournament-projection-bubble-picture-locks-02-22-2023

Charleston a whopping 25-3 and barely in bubble convos

• Upvote 1