SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

6 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Just remember you couldn’t even dominate the AAC. 

UTEP fans think they will join MWC along with SMUT if the pac 12 falls apart...  They could be SMUT's traveling partner for basketball

We can bicker about conferences all we want but the truth is the power schools

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

UTEP fans think they will join MWC along with SMUT if the pac 12 falls apart...  They could be SMUT's traveling partner for basketball

We can bicker about conferences all we want but the truth is the power schools

There's no guarantee that SMU will want to stay in the MWC. The AAC will surely have already expanded, but CUSA would probably love to have a presence in the metroplex again, and SHSU will need a travel partner.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

The streaming issue is an interesting one.  Definitely hurts the number of games in a bar, or people flipping back and forth. But I wonder how much impact there really is there. The deal will likely include some ESPN games on broadcast.  How many PAC games were really on prime slots on real channels before vs now?  Some loss surely but not a total loss. How many really matter?

Also, if the partner is Amazon, what I'd they really push it?  What if every time you open your Amazon app to buy new socks you get bombarded with a PAC advertisement?  Is that worth much?  Or how about games bring available to watch anytime, not just live?  Does that help?

I don't know the answers but if done with innovation could be good. 

For the primetime slots they probably won't be losing much, the Pac rules the late night slots. Games here on the west coast start at 7pm/9pm central, those were always on Fox/FS1. It's pretty likely that bars and restaurants to have those games on after the primetime games are over. Will ESPN carry those games now? It will all depend on who gets first tier rights, I don't think ESPN will change their programming if they don't get the top Pac game of the week. 

Amazon already produces shows and content, think about the last time you were on Amazon and saw their content advertised to you. That's probably the answer. 

11 hours ago, ADLER said:

There's no guarantee that SMU will want to stay in the MWC. The AAC will surely have already expanded, but CUSA would probably love to have a presence in the metroplex again, and SHSU will need a travel partner.

They would have to upgrade Judy from her Jeep to:

Licensed BMW I8 Coupe Electric Kids Ride-on Car 6v Battery Powered Toy Blue  for sale online | eBay

Judy upon hearing of this:

Judy MacLeod's next move?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Interesting dynamic, several have reported that the Big12 is now in contact with SMU. Their fear of PAC teams that already recruit Texas, will naturally explode. 

Big 12 expansion Arizona ,ASU, Colo and Utah going to 16 is what I'm reading that is in play. SMU to a water down Pac with the time zone change could be a mess.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Big 12 expansion Arizona ,ASU, Colo and Utah going to 16 is what I'm reading that is in play. SMU to a water down Pac with the time zone change could be a mess.

If this happens, the PAC as a power conference is dead. It means that Oregon, UW, and possibly Stanford are basically gone and those four are negotiating for a lifeline. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Actually, it's not all bad. An expanded Pac 12, maybe at 20 teams, could provide opportunity to schools like NMSU and former Pac member Idaho that have been looking for stable FBS homes for decades. Washington State and Oregon State may not be thrilled but they'll really have no options. 

Top 5 Benefits of SMU to PAC-12 | Conference Realignment | Pac 12 Expansion  - YouTube

* Annual Transformer Bowl with SJSU can be played, or cancelled entirely if there's absolutely no interest

* Trips to Las Cruces provide opportunities to visit radioactive wastelands at White Sands 

* Moscow, Idaho is quite lovely in the fall and, if lucky, you may even see a moose

* Logan, Utah is the 1897 birthplace of former silent film star John Cecil Pringle, known as "The Great Lover"

*Laramie, Wyoming has made major advancements in reducing arsenic concentrations in the drinking water

And by the way, how's that smut basketball team doing?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Not necessarily.

The imminent departure of the "4 Corners Schools" to the Big12 and Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal aligning with the Big 10, will provide opportunities for many western colleges. Washington State and Oregon State can reunite with former Pac members Idaho and Montana, along with new additions SDSU and SMU to form a large 20 team Mountain and Pacific based conference.

Schools like NMSU have been awaiting this type of opportunity for decades. It's finally here. The new 20 team Pac could consist of the twelve teams currently in the MWC, WSU and OSU from the Pac 12, Idaho, NAU, and Montana from the Big Sky, SMU from the AAC, and UTEP and NMSU from CUSA.

The new Pac would then have the largest, or at least one of the largest, schools in every state of the Pacific and Mountain time zones, and SMU too.

US-Timezones.svgPacific & Mountain, and SMU too map

And this map may not even be 100% accurate. Andy Patton of the PAC 12 Show is now predicting that UT-Arlington may wind up being a travel partner for SMU: UT-Arlington added to re-cobbled Pac12 remnants conference?

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I didn't see anything on ESPN.  Is this "still" happening, or did $mut get stood up again?

I think PAC Commish was just getting his short list ready.

The Big12 and Big10 shopping spree is still coming.  This will happen after PAC releases it's media contract estimates and everyone sees how it falls short of the Big12's.  Then the 4-corner schools will get an offer from Big12 and other dominoes start to fall.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Not necessarily.

Schools like NMSU have been awaiting this type of opportunity for decades. It's finally here. The new 20 team Pac could consist of the twelve teams currently in the MWC, WSU and OSU from the Pac 12, Idaho, NAU, and Montana from the Big Sky, SMU from the AAC, and UTEP and NMSU from CUSA.

I would be shocked if some of these schools would want to share affiliations with the NMSUs and Idahos of the world.  Call it tradition, history, ego, or whatever.  It would be an absolute, rather-go-indie, last resort kind of situation.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I would be shocked if some of these schools would want to share affiliations with the NMSUs and Idahos of the world.  Call it tradition, history, ego, or whatever.  It would be an absolute, rather-go-indie, last resort kind of situation.

No offense but thats how the Big 12 used to talk about Houston et al.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Not necessarily.

The imminent departure of the "4 Corners Schools" to the Big12 and Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal aligning with the Big 10, will provide opportunities for many western colleges. Washington State and Oregon State can reunite with former Pac members Idaho and Montana, along with new additions SDSU and SMU to form a large 20 team Mountain and Pacific based conference.

The new Pac would then have the largest, or at least one of the largest, schools in every state of the Pacific and Mountain time zones, and SMU too.

US-Timezones.svgPacific & Mountain, and SMU too map

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

If we get stuck out west in a MWC and feel the need to bring a Texas school, I'm taking UTSA not UTEP.  UTEP adds nothing. 

Sorry, you don't get a vote in anything that happens with any school or conference.  Out of your control!  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

I didn't see anything on ESPN.  Is this "still" happening, or did $mut get stood up again?

SMU has already accepted the PAC12 invitation. Done deal, same for SDSU.

Washington State and Oregon State are the only current PAC12 schools willing to sign the GOR.

There are no exit fees from the Pac12 if 5 or more current schools leave the conference.

Well, something's happening.

First shoe about to fall 

And the second shoe is unlaced and dangling

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DentonStang said:

If we get stuck out west in a MWC and feel the need to bring a Texas school, I'm taking UTSA not UTEP.  UTEP adds nothing. 

I'm not sure what value a renamed Big West has to offer either of these schools.

In a related 'add insult to injury' just to pour a little salt in the wound, the Big12 will not only be inviting the 4 Corners schools, but they will be inviting Gonzaga as well.

It's just that every strategy to save what was the Pac12 is vanishing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1