Update from Footballcoop.com (Monday Morning)

El Paso Eagle

53 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Multiple sources Texas Tech associate head coach Kenny Perry, TCU coordinators Garrett Riley (offense) and Joe Gillespie (defense), Sam Houston head coach KC Keeler and former Memphis head coach Justin Fuente are the focus of the search at this time.

Interesting that if this is "the list" of finalists who is not on it....Graham Harrell, Colby Carthel, Bryan Harsin, 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

As I have said before, these bets are simply a hedge against his furniture store promotions. He isn’t just pocketing all of this cash.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Mattress-Mack-Astros-bet-Gallery-Furniture-offer-17175857.php

Mattress Mack won $75 Million this fall. I don't think he's looking under the couch cushions to pay off the furniture costs.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Man this is an underwhelming list. Outside of Fuente and Riley, I’ve got zero interest in the others.

Exactly how I felt until reading up on Gillepsie.  I could get on board with any of these three as our HC.  

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, untbowler said:

if Perry is pushed on us by a donor, much like SL was then no thanks, but if hired he better not have a salary north of 1.2 a year unless ladened with incentive bonuses 

All it said is Mac has supported him. Should that disqualify him? If other applicants get support from Donors should they be excluded? 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

All it say is Mac has supported him. Should that disqualify him? If other applicants get support from Donors should they be excluded? 

no it should not but his resume does not scream HC for a rebuild. Really need a previous HC which I guess would just be Keeler or Fuente not fond of either, but it is what it is.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, untbowler said:

no it should not but his resume does not scream HC for a rebuild. Really need a previous HC which I guess would just be Keeler or Fuente not fond of either, but it is what it is.

That's why I asked earlier if anyone knew much about him? Not sure what he brings? To me the recommendations don't mean much based on his background info.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Who is she and why is she supporting Perry's candidacy?  Color me skeptical.

The former Stadium MC at Apogee. She works for Dave Campbell's Texas Football now. She is doing well in the TX HS world. Not sure what I think about her Perry pick. He's never been a HC.

• Upvote 4

My favorite of those listed is Justin Fuente.  He might cost a few bucks more but I believe he's worth it.  He's only 46 and would still have the energy to motivate the team.  As an ex-quarterback maybe he could restore Gunnell to his old form.  I don't remember who was on his coaching staff at Virginia Tech but hopefully most are gainfully employed and he will keep Cobbs and Clements and hire a couple of our exes as position coaches.  The only other candidate on the revealed list that would move my needle very much is Riley.  I could live with that.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, GrayEagle said:

My favorite of those listed is Justin Fuente.  He might cost a few bucks more but I believe he's worth it.  He's only 46 and would still have the energy to motivate the team.  As an ex-quarterback maybe he could restore Gunnell to his old form.  I don't remember who was on his coaching staff at Virginia Tech but hopefully most are gainfully employed and he will keep Cobbs and Clements and hire a couple of our exes as position coaches.  The only other candidate on the revealed list that would move my needle very much is Riley.  I could live with that.

Who was our last coach that was from the Defensive side?

4 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Perry leaves me feeling uninspired. 

Fuente makes a ton of sense. Keeler is a winner. 

Gillespie is my guy - TCU is in the playoff. It makes sense to capitalize on that momentum with either he or Riley. 

Reported that Riley turned down 2 million a year from A&M, wonder what TCU countered with? 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Puking Eagle 1