Gabe Brooks/David Smoak Segment About UNT Job

jtm0097

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Exactly. And this has been the experience in DFW for the last two coaching staffs to the point where their reputation from many local coaches is soured by the end of their tenure. May very well happen to the next coach until we really get our perception to change.

Let me say this, if this is true.. that is very worrisome and something needs to be done to change this with this new staff.

what I mean by that is that the next staff that comes in needs to find people who can cut through the BS and someone whose only purpose is just community/HS out reach. They need to current a few just grad spots or something positions that goes to ex players such as Marcus Trice, pay him to just to go interact with coaches and cut through the crap… it can’t just be one or two people, it needs to be 8-9-10 who have different regions in which they are from who go and just meet with coaches.

Also, find a young up and coming HS coach similar to UTSA former OC who is now heading to Oregon. Throw some TX HA coaches a bone showing them you as a staff are always lookin for young up coming talent and maybe it also helps you break the ice… I don’t care if it’s a passing game assistant or if someone helping in a scouting/recruiter office.

Edited by ExADofficeIntern
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

59 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

People rolled their eyes and downvoted my comments mentioning a pitch for Deion.  I think get donations to fund a Deion led program in DFW where Deion won a Superbowl is a slam dunk.  Just firing Seth after the UNLV game and putting our name out there as legitimate building an offer for Sanders would have done wonders for the perception of our program.  My donations go up significantly if I saw them take big swings that MAKE SENSE.  

Luckily if someone like Deion was hired, I would help offset the new demand for tickets by freeing up my 3 seats.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

yeah but people act like he did this terrible thing. I didn't know if I missed something. People are just soft if thats the only reason. Don't like winners 

I guess some people can't let go of what he was like when he was a player.

Did you see his playing years? He had a mouth lol

He still has a mouth, but he has a preacher's vibe to him now.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

I guess some people can't let go of what he was like when he was a player.

Did you see his playing years? He had a mouth lol

He still has a mouth, but he has a preacher's vibe to him now.

I see 5 star guys following him to ends of the earth. That would have been good with me

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

I see 5 star guys following him to ends of the earth. That would have been good with me

The challenge will be if hes not winning like he did at Jackson. The talent level at Jackson between their opponents was tremendous and even though he could get the one of the best recruiting class in the nation it won't be near that big to his opponents in the PAC 12.

Combine that with the realization that his HBCU talk was really only about how he could benefit and he also has a way of making back-handed complements/comments that piss off a lot of people there are going to be those who like him and those who don't. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The challenge will be if hes not winning like he did at Jackson. The talent level at Jackson between their opponents was tremendous and even though he could get the one of the best recruiting class in the nation it won't be near that big to his opponents in the PAC 12.

Combine that with the realization that his HBCU talk was really only about how he could benefit and he also has a way of making back-handed complements/comments that piss off a lot of people there are going to be those who like him and those who don't. 

I'd take a chance considering we've never had a 4star and jackson st had multiple 5 stars

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, p_phelps said:

why do people hate deon so much, im missing something

Prime Prep from both an administration and academic integrity standpoint. That is why out of all the FBS jobs he was rumored for, the best was Col.

I think he will do very well if he has people that will heavily oversee the academic/compliance side of the house for him and allows his former HCs on staff to help him with all the day to day needs of running a big time program. He can recruit and has an old school vision that could make Col into something quickly. As long as he can keep his house in order and keep the NCAA away, I hope to see a resurgence for the Buffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

@laxtontobeat me to it, but Google Prime Prep Academy.  Rules don’t apply to Deion.

His attempt to recruit players and build sports dynasties at a charter school were thwarted by the UIL (and other reasons).  He then went to TCA Cedar Hill.  Still recruited players, but then it was legal (as far as I know) since it was a private school. 

At both TCA Cedar Hill and Jackson St. he won, but he had far superior talent.  

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:39 PM, Mike Jackson said:

Whoever rolled their eyes at this must be a personal friend of Seth or an idiot without any concern for this football program.  

haha. I rolled my eyes in real life at it because everyone had been saying this forever. I laughed at the podcast dude talking about "analytics" like he was Nate Silver over here. He just read off some results that have been on this board and definitely on MGN for ever. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/6/2022 at 9:10 AM, BillySee58 said:

We do. Knowing the names of the kids isn’t the issue. Going into the schools and being steered away from the kids we really want and towards the kids we don’t is the issue. 

yeah and this is where the relationships can sour right? 

You try to talk to mr 4-star and catch is like 'nah, that's for VIPs, buddy. You talk to little Johnny 1-star'.

So if you indulge the coach that can be called "relationship-building" and if you reach out to 4-star kid outside of the coach-relationship you get 

Coach 18: The biggest mistake you see is they don’t talk to the high school coaches before they offer. … It’s the biggest no-no you can do. It’s a slap in the face, to be honest.

25 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

You try to talk to mr 4-star and catch is like 'nah, that's for VIPs, buddy. You talk to little Johnny 1-star'.

So if you indulge the coach that can be called "relationship-building" and if you reach out to 4-star kid outside of the coach-relationship you get 

Coach 18: The biggest mistake you see is they don’t talk to the high school coaches before they offer. … It’s the biggest no-no you can do. It’s a slap in the face, to be honest.

I don’t know the world, but this is where I believe Emmett can say, “Talk to me like you did when I was at Tech. That’s what we’re doing at UNT now.”

In my head, it’d be a baller move on his part…or whoever ends up getting the job. 

22 hours ago, p_phelps said:

why do people hate deon so much, im missing something

Because it is all about Deion.   All the time.   Maybe he has changed.  But at the core, people really don't change.

I do think the man would be able to recruit the hell out of Texas though.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Because it is all about Deion.   All the time.   Maybe he has changed.  But at the core, people really don't change.

I do think the man would be able to recruit the hell out of Texas though.

I also bet he can make a bunch of promises that may not be able to keep.  What's gonna' happen when all those 4-5*'s find out there's not enough footballs to go around to keep them all happy.  How well will DS handle adversity in the locker room?

On 12/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, MeanGreen13 said:

This is exactly what I think happens. Coaches are entitled as hell and think so little of UNT that they think we should beg for their 2nd tier talent. 

Give them a little break.  Since Fry, we have not posted a 10 win season, have had  very few NFL draft picks, and not much success in big games. Also, how many times have they heard a sleeping giant speech?  We have to finally get the right hire and a coach willing to eat a little humble pie with the high school coaches and convince them they can trust us with their players. I have never seen anybody at the high school coaches ticket window at Appogee.  I think the entitlement attitude has worked both ways with some of our coaches since Fry. 

22 minutes ago, Green Dozer said:

Give them a little break.  Since Fry, we have not posted a 10 win season, have had  very few NFL draft picks, and not much success in big games. Also, how many times have they heard a sleeping giant speech?  We have to finally get the right hire and a coach willing to eat a little humble pie with the high school coaches and convince them they can trust us with their players. I have never seen anybody at the high school coaches ticket window at Appogee.  I think the entitlement attitude has worked both ways with some of our coaches since Fry. 

I get this logic. The bottom line is always winning. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aztecskin said:

@NorthTexasWeLove @greenminer

You guys respectively said things alongs the lines of “this is outdated” to have HS recruiting have to go through the HS coaches for introduction in today’s game, and does it really matter what the High School coaches perception of our coaches is if the recruit himself is the one making the decision.

See the quote above. Some (many?) HS coaches still feel that proper etiquette is for college coaches to go through the high school coaches before extending offers to the players at those schools. It is still pretty standard procedure AFTER the college has identified the player that they show up to an offseason workout or spring practice and go through the coaches first, even if they already have messaged the player through social media.

• Upvote 2

On 12/5/2022 at 8:00 PM, BillySee58 said:

Here’s how this seems to go with UNT coaches recruiting DFW, especially Denton County:

New UNT Coach: “Alright, time to build relationships with these local coaches at these great programs and get top recruits!”

DFW HS Coach: “Hey coach! I want to make sure every player of mine worthwhile goes to a P5 even if it’s their only P5 offer and they’re going to ride the bench there. But hey, will you please offer my FCS/D2 level players?”

New UNT Coach: “Ummm we will consider it.”

DFW HS Coach: “Man, I don’t really like that UNT Coach.”

Mccarney ended up having more success in East Texas and Littrell really pulled some impressive Houston area recruits. Hopefully the new coach can be the one to make it a cool destination for local recruits, but it doesn’t come easily as overrecruited as this area is.

This times a million I have seen this a thousand time.

Gabe talks out of both sides of his mouth during podcast. Talks about poor relationship with coaches. Then talks about how stacked the roster is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

@NorthTexasWeLove @greenminer

You guys respectively said things alongs the lines of “this is outdated” to have HS recruiting have to go through the HS coaches for introduction in today’s game, and does it really matter what the High School coaches perception of our coaches is if the recruit himself is the one making the decision.

See the quote above. Some (many?) HS coaches still feel that proper etiquette is for college coaches to go through the high school coaches before extending offers to the players at those schools. It is still pretty standard procedure AFTER the college has identified the player that they show up to an offseason workout or spring practice and go through the coaches first, even if they already have messaged the player through social media.

38 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This times a million I have seen this a thousand time.

Gabe talks out of both sides of his mouth during podcast. Talks about poor relationship with coaches. Then talks about how stacked the roster is. 

Yeah, it's common practice to give a coach the heads up of interest and to swing by. If that wasn't happening then they were in the wrong. But we out here actin like these coaches are the keepers of the gate or their pimp or something.  I think that's old place realities due to the recruiting tactics of old. If HS coaches out there grinding axes (while also not looking out for the best interest of their own players) b/c they're butthurt then they need to put their ego on a shelf and hang up their whistle. 

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah, it's common practice to give a coach the heads up of interest and to swing by. If that wasn't happening then they were in the wrong. But we out here actin like these coaches are the keepers of the gate or their pimp or something.  I think that's old place realities due to the recruiting tactics of old. If HS coaches out there grinding axes (while also not looking out for the best interest of their own players) b/c they're butthurt then they need to put their ego on a shelf and hang up their whistle. 

Sure, but a coach with 20 years and lots of relationships is going to hold a lot of sway over a NT coach making his way out there. 

I mean all that to say that I don’t buy “this coach has a bad relationship with the coaches i know” == all of the truth. 

Littrell was respected among his peers and NT had good players from Texas HSs. A good portion of his losing was his hiring of staff, losing big games when he had more talent, and then replacing that talent (QB). 

For all of Traylor’s success, his biggest recruiting win is getting Frank Harris healthy and bringing him back. Frank Wilson (fired) recruited Harris. Littrell lost that battle. It’s always been about finding a QB

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Littrell was respected among his peers and NT had good players from Texas HSs. A good portion of his losing was his hiring of staff, losing big games when he had more talent, and then replacing that talent (QB). 

For all of Traylor’s success, his biggest recruiting win is getting Frank Harris healthy and bringing him back. Frank Wilson (fired) recruited Harris. Littrell lost that battle. It’s always been about finding a QB

A team goes as their QB goes.