Breaking News Seth Littrell has been fired.

TheReal_jayD

20 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Yep, lots of counter plays, zone reads, quick screens, and no huddle. He was one of the first coaches in East Texas to run the no huddle spread.

Wrong!  The first coach to run an absolute “no huddle”, spread offense was Coach Bud Tomlin at Bishop Byrne High School in Port Arthur, Texas, back in the late ‘50’s, very early ‘60’s.  The offense would be spread out and the play was called by the position of the QBs feet and other head, hand, arm, and foot positions.  My older brother was a starting OL for couple of years on those teams.  Bishop Byrne played for the State Championship his Senior year.  Sadly, Bishop Byrne lost to Dallas Jesuit that year.  1960 I believe.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

Wrong!  The first coach to run an absolute “no huddle”, spread offense was Coach Bud Tomlin at Bishop Byrne High School in Port Arthur, Texas, back in the late ‘50’s, very early ‘60’s.  The offense would be spread out and the play was called by the position of the QBs feet and other head, hand, arm, and foot positions.  My older brother was a starting OL for couple of years on those teams.  Bishop Byrne played for the State Championship his Senior year.  Sadly, Bishop Byrne lost to Dallas Jesuit that year.  1960 I believe.

Do you consider Port Arthur part of East Texas? Additionally, how were the dinosaurs back then?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Technically SE Texas.  SA

I couldn't help myself. But seriously, he was one of the first coaches in the 903 area to run the spread/no huddle offense in the 90s/2000s. It's not mentioned here, but a good history of the spread in Texas High School football. 

https://www.espn.com/highschool/rise/football/news/story?id=4339959

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Not so sure about that.  If they continue to gather the support of San Antonio, they will always be a threat.

UTSA is in a great position, one of the largest cities in the country and very little sports competition.   

They took a big chance on a high school coach, and it turned out to be a great decision.  Very rare, some UTSA administrator was both bold and a great judge of talent. 

Hate to think it, but would not be surprised for them to get in a P5 conference relatively soon. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

USC fired their coach after two games last year on Sept. 13th... which sounds like they had no idea what they were doing going into the season and wasted the entire 2021 season because of it... This does not sound smart at all.

Firing coaches that early always seems crazy to me. How can you possibly see something in the first two games you didn't already know?

(Aside from situations like Bobby Petrino giving that 25-year-old a ride.)

bobby-petrino-jessica-dorrell-costume.jp

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

UTSA is in a great position, one of the largest cities in the country and very little sports competition.   

They took a big chance on a high school coach, and it turned out to be a great decision.  Very rare, some UTSA administrator was both bold and a great judge of talent. 

Hate to think it, but would not be surprised for them to get in a P5 conference relatively soon. 

Yeah, their Todd Dodge gamble worked while ours failed.  Of course, we were partly to blame for his failure.

3 hours ago, MrAlien said:

...and how did that end up for them???  Thats a program that will not tolerate a .500 season, when it started to look that way they pulled the plug and began the rebuild.  Starting their coaching search in September gave them time do a thorough search, and they were ready to go before the 21 season ended.

With the new transfer rules, SMART is having your coaches and AD in place December 5th when the job begins for the 2023 season. 

Slow down just a bit. For the most part our impact in the Portal will not come in the opening days. Continue to evaluate players who enter and be ready in a few weeks.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

They took a big chance on a high school coach, and it turned out to be a great decision.

He hasn’t coached high school since 2014, so they didn’t hire a high school coach.  No doubt he got a head coaching job pretty quickly, but they didn’t exactly hire Dennis Parker or Todd Dodge.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah, their Todd Dodge gamble worked while ours failed.  Of course, we were partly to blame for his failure.

Apples and oranges.  

Traylor spent 5 years as an assistant. Learned a lot and established a lot of connections.  UTSA didn’t gamble at all.  

Dodge went straight from HS HC to college HC. 

• Upvote 4

I am just glad it is over.  I first guessed this like many others on this board.  They wasted a chance to be fully prepared for 2023 by giving Seth 2022.  Fortunately for us 2022 was just slightly above what we expected to be entertaining.  But I would have rather they fired him after UNLV game. Seeing the numbers on a Deion contract I think a 5 million per year package could have been put together and pitched to him with that lead time.  There is huge untapped UNT fan and Alumni money that would be available if a Dallas Cowboys associated NFL Hall of Famer and Superbowl winner came to coach.  Also the local business buyin would be on steroids with his association with the program.  Now I doubt he would come but it still would be a sound business decision for him and on the football side he would be coming to a program with no In Conference disadvantages.  At Colorado ESPN is coming to see his debute against a powerhouse TCU team.   Here ESPN comes to see him return to the Dallas area to face SMU [ Deion Sanders Jr's alma mater coincidentally   I don't know the status of USC's departure to the Big 10.  But as long as USC, Washington, and Oregon are in the Pac 12, Colorado is little brother(akin to Texas Tech, KSU, Baylor and OSU till UT and OU leave the Big 12).  He will win there but the ultimate prize in Colorado is the national championship.  There would arguably be an easier path here to a the playoff than Colorado.  And talent wise the Colorado team this past November would probably only -7 spread at home playing us.   

PR wise we would have benefited hugely if Sander's publicly acknowledged we made a competitive pitch.  A PR benefit bigger than an stumbling though the rest of this season to 7-6 to the same Bowl game we managed to get in last year.    A bowl game we would have lost regardless if Seth was declared safe to start the 2024 season or not.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Green with Envy said:

Apples and oranges.  

Traylor spent 5 years as an assistant. Learned a lot and established a lot of connections.  UTSA didn’t gamble at all.  

Dodge went straight from HS HC to college HC. 

You make it sound like Todge had no college coaching experience before UNT.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Harris has to leave, he is out of eligibility.

He has one more year if he wants it. I might have his medical redshirt year wrong, but it’s something like this:

2017- redshirted 

2018- medical redshirt

2019- Redshirt freshmen

2020- COVID

2021- Redshirt sophomore 

2022- Redshirt junior

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, Green Lantern said:

I saw that. I know and like Sean. Great dude. But he’s wrong on this.

You have to understand at a place like North Texas we don't expect you to fire a winning coach that has taken you to places you have never been.   He beat Arkansas in Fayetteville for goodness sakes.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

He has one more year if he wants it. I might have his medical redshirt year wrong, but it’s something like this:

2017- redshirted 

2018- medical redshirt

2019- Redshirt freshmen

2020- COVID

2021- Redshirt sophomore 

2022- Redshirt junior

5c5e9651-2c19-4c26-9cba-9141b7041332_tex

• Haha 3