SUN BELT #1 G5 Conference.

meangreenbob

2 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I wouldn't go as far to say UNT's got a D2 program, but the SBC is clearly the superior football conference. Hopefully App State pulls off this game in Aggieland.

A  good FCS program if you want to be realistically accurate.  App State fairly recently stepped up to FBS and beat a ranked Michigan at home.  Our best victory since 1995 is beating an Arkansas team in transition of play styles having one of their worst runs ever.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, rcade said:

Damn, Sun Belt. What must it be like to play in such a strong G5 conference?

What a hoot! We left the SBC for a better conference, CUSA. Its' members left CUSA for AAC and we ended up in a watered down CUSA ranked below the SBC which we just left. Now we are in the AAC who loses its top three programs and will be ranked below the SBC. You just have to admire the leadership of the Belt. CUSA, not so much.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 2

31 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

It's crazy how huge Marshall and App State's NIL collective must be to beat top 10 FBS P5 teams.  Right?? RIGHT????

That has nothing to do with your transfer QB’s that can’t beat out a guy in perfect game conditions can’t throw on time or on target.  If you can find it watch the first drive against Texas Southern and tell me I am wrong.  1 pass was on target but late.  Other 2 off target and late.

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

A  good FCS program if you want to be realistically accurate.  App State fairly recently stepped up to FBS and beat a ranked Michigan at home.  Our best victory since 1995 is beating an Arkansas team in transition of play styles having one of their worst runs ever.  

App State has been FBS for 7 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, texx2818 said:

It’s just sad to see where this program is nowadays compared to everyone else.

I think the frustrating thing for me personally - maybe for everyone that graduated around my time - is the "culture" excuse.

We've been hearing it for decades and - I get it - it has been a significant part of Denton/UNT pastime.  But how much longer? It was an excuse 20 years ago.  It was an excuse 10 years ago.  Now, we have surrounded our athletes with facilities and staff that rival and/or exceed 8/10 opponents on our schedule. And we are 5+ years into this.  What hurdles are left? What do we have to do to put this behind us?  IMO, we should be past the point of using it as an excuse to keep coaches as long as we have.  

It can take generations to change culture, but if the athletes are all setup and isolated from that culture so that they can excel, it shouldn't be an excuse, right?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think the frustrating thing for me personally - maybe for everyone that graduated around my time - is the "culture" excuse.

We've been hearing it for decades and - I get it - it has been a significant part of Denton/UNT pastime.  But how much longer? It was an excuse 20 years ago.  It was an excuse 10 years ago.  Now, we have surrounded our athletes with facilities and staff that rival and/or exceed 8/10 opponents on our schedule. And we are 5+ years into this.  What hurdles are left? What do we have to do to put this behind us?  IMO, we should be past the point of using it as an excuse to keep coaches as long as we have.  

It can take generations to change culture, but if the athletes are all setup and isolated from that culture so that they can excel, it shouldn't be an excuse, right?

In 1978, Hayden Fry had a ranked team that went 9-2 on the field. We went into the last game of the season with a home game at Fouts, knowing bowl officials were coming to see us play. Back then, there were very few bowls, so this was a big deal. We got about 10k for that home game—to end a season that was to go 9-2. 

The bowl committee decided to invite someone else, someone with a fanbase that would show up to care about their team. Hayden Fry, rightfully, left for Iowa after this.

The culture here has been awful since the early 70s, when the student body actually voted to abandon the program. Denton and North Texas (State) are just a combo that goes against the grain. Athletics will never matter here—because the culture won’t let it.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Culture to me is the most misused concept in college athletics.

It means absolutely nothing, if you have a good team than you must have a winning culture.   The opposite for a losing team.  

Building a winning program is what matters.   You both win and can praise the culture around the program.  Pure BS

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Athletics will never matter here—because the culture won’t let it.

Not sure I understand why people keep trotting around that the 1500 students in the UNT College of Music control the destiny of D1 Athletics in 2022 and beyond at UNT?

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
Grammar
  • Upvote 4

Jonesboro is the third largest city, in the fourth largest metro area in the Sun Belt.

Only Georgia State shares a city with a big 4 pro league. TXST is 50 miles from NBA. AState 70 miles from NBA, after that everyone is 100 or more miles from a big pro team.

Mostly small tv markets where the guys and gals trying to build a highlight reel have the local Sun Belt team and high school sports to cover, otherwise they are just showing video from someone else covering the bigger college and pro teams.

Outside of ULM, there's been a lot of spending on facilities.

Once Freeze left AState for Ole Miss there has been a flurry of coaches going on to big jobs. Auburn, Florida, Louisville, West Virginia, Missouri, so coaches want the jobs seeing a path up. Outside of Anderson getting to stick around as his wife was dying there have been some quickly pulled triggers for hot seat situations.

The demographics of the communities make them an incubator for college football.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Right when the alignment info dropped I started saying that immediately. There are football serious schools with serious administrations and fans littered in that conference. 

If I'm ULM I'm white-knuckling and doing whatever it takes to hang on. Same for a few others, but especially them. 

Let's see. what happens with the NCAA Transformation Committee. The gossip is a HUGE overhaul of the Division I standards. Instead of 14 sports awarding 50% of the allowed aid in those sports the new standards are rumored to be sponsoring in the range of 18 to 21 sports with required minimum ratios of coaches to athletes, trainers to athletes, and academic support staff to athletes. 

You could easily see most non-FBS leagues swept away with the likely exceptions being Big East, A10, WCC, and some FCS leagues.

From what I hear out of ULM, there is thought that if Bowden can right the ship, it isn't fixable and higher spending requirements would do them in if he can't bring back some of the fans.

1 minute ago, Arkstfan said:

Let's see. what happens with the NCAA Transformation Committee. The gossip is a HUGE overhaul of the Division I standards. Instead of 14 sports awarding 50% of the allowed aid in those sports the new standards are rumored to be sponsoring in the range of 18 to 21 sports with required minimum ratios of coaches to athletes, trainers to athletes, and academic support staff to athletes. 

You could easily see most non-FBS leagues swept away with the likely exceptions being Big East, A10, WCC, and some FCS leagues.

From what I hear out of ULM, there is thought that if Bowden can right the ship, it isn't fixable and higher spending requirements would do them in if he can't bring back some of the fans.

Not good. They just have to win, but we know how that goes over there.  I like Monroe, their campus and their little stadium. It's a shame.