Should Wren announce a Littrell extension and bump in pay?

Harry

I realize Littrell is already at the top of the C-USA heap in salaries and there are limits to a G5 budget.   That said - timing is everything, and it sure wouldn't hurt to bump up Littrell a tad higher and perhaps extend the length of his deal right now. 

It would make a big statement to not only the p5 teams sniffing around but also would set the stage for if Littrell left that UNT was willing to step up in a big way for the right guy.   It would show we are being Proactive as opposed to waiting and hoping.  Maybe we are at the limit of what we can realistically do already.  Maybe his agent is so busy trying to put together a p5 deal he doesn't have the time.  If there is an inch of room - it just seems like now would be the time to make it happen.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I realize Littrell is already at the top of the C-USA heap in salaries and there are limits to a G5 budget.   That said - timing is everything, and it sure wouldn't hurt to bump up Littrell a tad higher and perhaps extend the length of his deal right now. 

It would make a big statement to not only the p5 teams sniffing around but also would set the stage for if Littrell left that UNT was willing to step up in a big way for the right guy.   It would show we are being Proactive as opposed to waiting and hoping.  Maybe we are at the limit of what we can realistically do already.  Maybe his agent is so busy trying to put together a p5 deal he doesn't have the time.  If there is an inch of room - it just seems like now would be the time to make it happen.

If our sugar daddies can pony up and sweeten the pot, I don't see why not. Will making SL the highest paid G5 coach help? Not sure it will.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Did it last year, and the year before.   Not necessary anymore.     

Wren & the big boosters don't have to prove anything to anyone until it's time to start offering the next guy.

If Littrell stays here and continues to win 9 games/yr, his job is safe in perpetuity.

EDIT:    ...and he'll be rewarded handsomely for as long as he's here.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, untbowler said:

sorry but no pay increase right now, for what SL is getting, we should be getting at minimum Division Titles, no 3rd place finish and bowl wins

Generally I agree. However we're in a position where we have to overpay for incremental progress. It doesn't matter really though in the end. He's gone when offered a job he wants.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, peanuts104 said:

I think he's already gone to K State.  Doubt we can pony up $3 mil.

Again, even if North Texas decided to pay him $3.5 million/yr, and KSSt offered $2.5 million/yr, he's still going to go.. IF THAT'S THE OPPORTUNITY HE WANTS.    KSSt offers him the chance to compete at the P5 level and win National Championships.    It's not about the money.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2

Just now, meangreenlax said:

Generally I agree. However we're in a position where we have to overpay for incremental progress. It doesn't matter really though in the end. He's gone when offered a job he wants.

if that's the case then don't just throw more money at someone that intends to leave regardless.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Again, even if North Texas decided to pay him $3.5 million/yr, and KSSt offered $2.5 million/yr, he's still going to go.. IF THAT'S THE OPPORTUNITY HE WANTS.    KSSt offers him the chance to compete at the P5 level and win National Championships.    It's not about the money.

I just wonder if he can actually compete for national titles at k state, but I agree with you.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

no.

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Looking at you, Billy Napier/Neal Brown/Eric Morris

yes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Did it last year, and the year before.   Not necessary anymore.     

Wren & the big boosters don't have to prove anything to anyone until it's time to start offering the next guy.

If Littrell stays here and continues to win 9 games/yr, his job is safe in perpetuity.

I agree here.

A few thoughts. He is already one of the highest paid G5 coaches. Are we bidding against ourselves? Part of me still questions if he is really KState's top target. In my mind (and I think deep down, LIttrell would agree with this) He still has more than a few things to prove here. (If you go on P5, big job standards...not 50 years of UNT standards) I'm not trying to discount what Littrell is doing here. (I stress doing....he still hasn't done) He's never won the conference (arguably the worst conference in FBS) He hasn't won a bowl game. Has he beaten a really good team?

I'm going to look at this from an objective, P5 viewpoint on what he's accomplished. For example, get past the name....and Arkansas is a HORRIBLE team. What is is his best win? Is it Arkansas? What about losses. Some horrible losses including choking away THREE double digit leads, one 4 TD lead against a far out manned team. Getting the doors blown off in others. 

Again, I don't say all this to downplay what he's in the process of doing. I love it. But I think he's still a young, inexperienced head coach (and it absolutely showed this year) This year he's finally getting a top recruiting class committed. That's a huge step forward. But if I'm a P5 team (one with a decent tradition) I see him as a risk at this point. I still say he's gonna need a couple more years.

I want him here as long as we can keep him. But on the flipside....I would be lying if I didn't say I've been day dreaming a little about who could come in here and take the talent we have coming back on offense and see what we could do with it.

So I would say....no need to up his pay at this point. We've already shown that we're serious and I agree with what others have said...this is one of the best G5 jobs in the country. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

Unfortunately we're a lateral move for him. Maybe a slight upgrade if you ignore the past 100 years of athletic ineptitude.

Doubling your pay and arguably the best returning G5 QB next year in a better conference?

Hardly lateral. Brown and this offense would be a match made in heaven

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

Unfortunately we're a lateral move for him. Maybe a slight upgrade if you ignore the past 100 years of athletic ineptitude.

Not when he's been out-performing all of these other G5 coaches getting P5 shots ahead of him, plus more than doubling his current salary & moving to a place primed to blow up to continue climbing the ladder!

• Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I just wonder if he can actually compete for national titles at k state, but I agree with you.

He may not compete for a national title at K-State, but if he is successful there (consistently ranked and winning bowl games) he could use that as a launching pad to a blue blood program.

• Lovely Take 1