Bowl Projections - Week 5

bdan2002

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all, C-USA doesn't have the HoD bowl anymore... so that's not happening.  You would think ESPN (the folks who own the rights & made the change) would know this?

EDIT:  & I'd rather not play Memphis right now. The Wyoming matchup could be a fun one if you like lots of offense!

I’m assuming ESPN is expecting the HoD affiliated conference will not have enough bowl eligible teams to fill the spot. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

How many would be Nebraska fans?

I'm guessing 25-30 with. The idea that bc of the name we draw more than we did for UNLV

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Y'all, C-USA doesn't have the HoD bowl anymore... so that's not happening.  You would think ESPN (the folks who own the rights & made the change) would know this?

EDIT:  & I'd rather not play Memphis right now. The Wyoming matchup could be a fun one if you like lots of offense!

You are talking about two completely different parts of ESPN. The bowl predictions are done by the anaylist/talk show panel members. The bowls are run by a staff that runs bowls and reports to a higher management level. The talking heads who make the predictions have no direct influence into the bowl choices. The part of ESPN that runs the bowls moves teams around from bowl to bowl to get the best combination of TV and local attendance. For ESPN owned bowls, both really do matter.

NT has proven it will drive attendance to a local DFW area bowl game but I suspect there is a question mark about our fan travel to New Orleans. And either this year or next, there will be a third local bowl game in Frisco. The bottom line is "it's not just about us." The actual match ups will be determined based on who is available for which bowl game. 

Don't worry about the talking heads - worry about the programming and what ever they call the ESPN local bowl people. While the talking heads belittled the viewership at our four NO Bowl games, ESPN Programming made a point of saying they were quite happy about it. Not every bowl game is going to draw large numbers of viewers, but as long as it draws what ESPN needs and wants then it's going to be fine. The local bowl people have repeated said they liked the crowd we drew to our two HOD bowl games. 

The people making the decisions like us. 

• Upvote 1

Many of you apparently didn't read the post above that states that CUSA is not in the HOD bowl?   Of course that could change if ESPN wants it too, but the Fort Worth Armed service bowl is currently the CUSA bowl.  

Out of CUSA options, another trip to New Orleans would be the best IMO.  NT had good numbers at all the bowls there, I think NT could do much better if they finish with a good record this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Many of you apparently didn't read the post above that states that CUSA is not in the HOD bowl?   Of course that could change if ESPN wants it too, but the Fort Worth Armed service bowl is currently the CUSA bowl.  

Of the seven HOD games played, three had a school from a nonaffiliated conference as one of the teams. Twice both teams were from nonaffiliated conferences. What they list and who actually plays don't seem to matter for the HOD bowl. 

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

i rather play in Frisco than at the dump of the cotton bowl.  I think the cotton bowl is fouts field on steroids.  Just not a fan of the cotton bowl, if the HOD was held at Jerry world be better as long we don't have to pay Jerry Jones parking lot fees.

The entire reason a Heart of Dallas Bowl exists is the City of Dallas wants a bowl game in the Cotton Bowl stadium. It's HIGHLY unlikely to move and certain it won't move to JerryWorld. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/college-football-bowl-predictions-week-6-penn-state-oklahoma-college-football-playoff-alabama-clemson/6w3gf3xb6nmo1u8oy5rurutdy

Has us playing Dec. 26 Zaxby's Heart of Dallas BowlTexas Tech vs. North Texas

Would be more down for that than Nebraska!

The CBS Sports Prediction of having us in the Cure Bowl against Memphis also had an asterisk next to it saying we would be one of the 2 teams with the highest APR with 5 wins. Air Force would be the other 5 win team to make a bowl game. I honestly think we have been overlooked in all of the projections and they have just put us wherever without really knowing much about us or CUSA.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/college-football-bowl-predictions-week-6-penn-state-oklahoma-college-football-playoff-alabama-clemson/6w3gf3xb6nmo1u8oy5rurutdy

Has us playing Dec. 26 Zaxby's Heart of Dallas BowlTexas Tech vs. North Texas

Would be more down for that than Nebraska!

The CBS Sports Prediction of having us in the Cure Bowl against Memphis also had an asterisk next to it saying we would be one of the 2 teams with the highest APR with 5 wins. Air Force would be the other 5 win team to make a bowl game. I honestly think we have been overlooked in all of the projections and they have just put us wherever without really knowing much about us or CUSA.  

Tech VS UNT has the makings of a shootout totaling over 100pts.    I'd love to see that game.

If Army has a 8/9-win season (and pulls off the upset against Navy), would they still be tied to the Armed Forces Bowl?  Or could they be placed somewhere else?

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tech VS UNT has the makings of a shootout totaling over 100pts.    I'd love to see that game.

If Army has a 8/9-win season (and pulls off the upset against Navy), would they still be tied to the Armed Forces Bowl?  Or could they be placed somewhere else?

That would be an interesting match up and I would love to see UNT vs TT now that Mahomes is gone... Wonder who would bring more fans, TT or Nebraska vs UNT and if UNT could match it?

Would be like that TT/ASU game 2 years ago that they had like 140+ points, and something like nearly 2k in total yards combined at the end of the game.. 

That would get alot of kids interest in terms of scoring/yardage as well, and some national media attention as well.. It would suck to lose, but having an offensive shootout would make it worth it at the very least. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

14 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i rather play in Frisco than at the dump of the cotton bowl.  I think the cotton bowl is fouts field on steroids.  Just not a fan of the cotton bowl, if the HOD was held at Jerry world be better as long we don't have to pay Jerry Jones parking lot fees.

Blasphemy!  That stadium may not be up to modern luxury, but it holds a very important place in college football lore and walking in there brings me celestial feelings.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Q: Starbucks or Jupiter House?

16 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

That would mean playing Army for the 4th time in 14 months as Amry is more than likely going to be bowl eligible. Only tie in for them is this game unless they make it to a New Years 6 Bowl. 

What about Air Force or Navy if both are bowl eligible? Why does it have to Army ? Just asking

11 minutes ago, wardly said:

What about Air Force or Navy if both are bowl eligible? Why does it have to Army ? Just asking

This is what I'm wondering.   
Navy will likely be bowl eligible, and they're going to be very good.  If they win 8-9 games (beating Army), then they'll be selected for some other bowl, and if Army is eligible after losing to Navy, they'll certainly wind up in Ft. Worth.

If Army could win 8-9 games (beating Navy), maybe they'd get some other bowl and possibly a 7/8-win Navy team comes to Ft. Worth?

Air Force probably wont be bowl eligible.

2 hours ago, wardly said:

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is what I'm wondering.   
Navy will likely be bowl eligible, and they're going to be very good.  If they win 8-9 games (beating Army), then they'll be selected for some other bowl, and if Army is eligible after losing to Navy, they'll certainly wind up in Ft. Worth.

If Army could win 8-9 games (beating Navy), maybe they'd get some other bowl and possibly a 7/8-win Navy team comes to Ft. Worth?

Air Force probably wont be bowl eligible.

I have no idea but isn't Navy tied in with the American Conference, and Air Force with the Mountain West? 

With Army being an Indy, I'm assuming they get 1st dibs on the Armed Forces Bowl, then followed by Navy/Air Force in whatever order because of conference agreements

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I have no idea but isn't Navy tied in with the American Conference, and Air Force with the Mountain West? 

With Army being an Indy, I'm assuming they get 1st dibs on the Armed Forces Bowl, then followed by Navy/Air Force in whatever order because of conference agreements

Yep I would assume that is how Army needs a tie in because they do not have a conference to back them. Same how ND has a tie in to a New Years Six (and former BCS) if they win so many games and finish at a certain rank or higher in the national polls. 

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/01/college-football-bowl-ties-affiliations-conference-2017-2018

Independents

BYU currently has no direct bowl tie in 2017 if it doesn’t get into the College Football Playoff.
 Notre Dame can take one of the ACC’s bowl spots starting with the Russell Athletic Bowl. Must be within one overall win over the available ACC team with the best overall record to take one of the ACC’s spots.
 Army is tied into the Armed Forces Bowl vs. the Big Ten

Edited by greeneagle1