Mason Fine Had 3rd Most Passing Yards In Week 2

AustinFromUNT

Statistically we are going to be 1-2 Sunday with great passing numbers and the nation's leader in dropped punts. Normally I'm not down on numbers but we can't stop even Lamar from torching us deep. It's going to keep being exploited. We can't pass our way out of poor Special Teams and a Defense that can't stop big plays.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Statistically we are going to be 1-2 Sunday with great passing numbers and the nation's leader in dropped punts. Normally I'm not down on numbers but we can't stop even Lamar from torching us deep. It's going to keep being exploited. We can't pass our way out of poor Special Teams and a Defense that can't stop big plays.

I agree we aren't going to win too many games this season, if we don't tighten up on Special Teams. It may just be me, but I feel defense has been doing ok considering. With the type of coverage we run I expect us to get torched once in a while. But I think Defense play will be better the less they are on the field. So if Special Teams gets us better field possession, I think we end up playing better all around. 

With that being said. I do still feel DB's need to improve, there is no doubt about that. Just saying with better Special Team play the SMU is a completely different ball game IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Yep, just like in the Navy game of 2007, we couldn't pass our way out of a poor run defense that couldn't stop the triple option. Coach Dodge new that going into the game, and (IMHO) that's why he called for an onside kick after we scored first. He obviously thought that our only hope to beat Navy was to get up 14 points in the beginning. Turns out he was wrong about how much cushion we needed.

Kind of like our 10 point cushion that didn't hold up.

My brain still thinks "lots of passing yard" usually equates to "playing from behind." But we were the only team on that list that lost. 

Still being on a Top 5 weekly list with a lose is at least slightly better than losing and NOT being on it. It doesn't do anything for us, but hopefully some recruits will see NT on lists like this and start to think of us as a passing team rather than Danny Mac's 3 yards and a cloud of dust. 

BTW, I would just type the first word in the name of each team and Google auto filled the team and the word football or football schedule. All except NMSU - I had to actually get all the way to "foot" before it filled. I guess not many people ever search for NMSU football. 

2 hours ago, marcus unuigbey said:

Lmfao. Yes we did, but I think the point we are trying to make (or at least me) is that we have the ability to be pretty good. Just need to tighten a few screws.  

I know what you're trying to do, make lemons into lemonade. Many of us have been hardened by a lack of lemons and no sugar. The only performances on that list you posted from this millennium were all from a 2-10 season. Brights spots only come in the form of W's for me these days. I'm past the point of saying "we hung with them for a quarter", " we only lost by 3 touchdowns", or "we set fill-in-the-blank passing record" while still losing the game.

The SMU game was not competitive after the first couple drives. We gave up more points to them than we have since 1941. This is our WORST loss to them pointswise since 1989 or put another way our worst loss to them in these players' lifetimes.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Defense that can't stop big plays.

Through Dodge, McCarney, and now Littrell, I have only seen the 2013 team able to defend against the long ball.  For a good decade, if I were an opposing coach, long passes down the sideline are the only offensive play I would ever run.  It would either be a catch or a pass interference penalty 75% of the time with the very rare interception that would really equate to a nice long punt. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I know what you're trying to do, make lemons into lemonade. Many of us have been hardened by a lack of lemons and no sugar. The only performances on that list you posted from this millennium were all from a 2-10 season. Brights spots only come in the form of W's for me these days. I'm past the point of saying "we hung with them for a quarter", " we only lost by 3 touchdowns", or "we set fill-in-the-blank passing record" while still losing the game.

The SMU game was not competitive after the first couple drives. We gave up more points to them than we have since 1941. This is our WORST loss to them pointswise since 1989 or put another way our worst loss to them in these players' lifetimes.

I hear ya. At the end of the day the "W" is the only thing that matters. I feel that we will have more "W's" this year than we did last year, and as a fan....progress is all I will ask for (even though inside I expect a lot more; and get angry like anyone else on this board) #GMG

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, marcus unuigbey said:

For what it's worth. 6th most UNT yards in a single game. 

IMG_1677.PNG

Need more proof it isn't easy being green?  Fine was the only one among those top 5 passers who lost last week. 

Oh, and I've been a fan since 1993 and every game on that top ten list above since '93 we lost except one and that was a tie against SFA. 

Sheesh. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I wouldn't call our defense stout either.

At least our secondary wont have to try and contain a player on Sutton's level again.   UNT is 2-0 right now if he wasn't on the field.  
This week, our OL/DL will be completely overmatched by Iowa's counterparts, but moving forward, the rest of the games look winnable.  
I just hope the team performs well at Iowa so they can keep confidence up going into C-USA play.  
I also think it would help our defense's confidence if Sutton continued to take over games all year, justifying their performance against him.

13 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I wouldn't call our defense stout either.

I wouldn't either.

We have allowed 7 passing plays to go over 25 yards and 1 rushing play to go over 20 yards. You're right, that's not good.

But 3 of those 7 were to one person. Our defense is disruptive. Allowing those huge gains were the exception, not the norm.

We're getting all worked up because of how one first or second day pick whooped us hard. We will be fine. 

We're not world beaters, but we don't suck.

• Upvote 1