Brad Davis to Florida

AustinFromUNT

1 minute ago, AustinFromUNT said:

But then the question becomes how much do we have to shell out to get him.

no idea, can't find an exact salary for him.. but looks like it something along the lines of a CO-OL coach position... Along with OK-State dismissing him, I would assume its along the lines of what happened with Mainford and Kentucky that he gets a pay out or something(I would think)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

https://www.google.com/amp/m.newsok.com/article/5536880/amp

looks like he was let go for bad recruiting. This will get instant backlash if he is hired from this board regardless of how good he is with jimmies and joes.

SL doesn't care about the "ratings" along with him losing recruits to Texas and Texas AM...

Also this was from the article...

Adkins' impact won't soon be lost among remaining members of the offensive line. His 2016 signing class included junior college transfer right guard Larry Williams, a five-game starter before season-ending surgery, and a trio of promising high school talents — Teven Jenkins (Topeka, Kan.), Matt Kegel (Chaska, Minn.) and Dylan Galloway (Coppell, Texas).

Article goes on to say that he was making 355k... which is quiet a bit of difference with Davis pay, but it should be off-set somewhat as well by OSU wherever he goes..

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Article goes on to say that he was making 355k... which is quiet a bit of difference with Davis pay, but it should be off-set somewhat as well by OSU wherever he goes..

Assuming he had an unexpired multi-year contract . . . the exception rather than the rule with assistants.

Just now, AustinFromUNT said:

I've held the position this entire time that it is better to take the better Xs and Os guy than the better recruiter. He could be terrible at recruiting but if he can coach up 2 star talent to 3 consistently, who cares. Build it and they will come.

I've said this in the post earlier... With his track-record as an NFL coach, and coaching with the SEC and Big12, he is someone recruits would like just based on his past stops.. Also, SL has said this over and over... He doesn't care nor is he worried about the ratings of the kid. Him and his staff want to be able to coach a kid from where they are now into something.. Also with the influx of kids this year at OL, even if this guy was a "terrible" recruiter he wouldn't have to be bringing in kids that get to pick between OSU and Texas AM(which has had multiple 1st round picks, and who wouldn't pick Austin over Stillwater?) But him being a top 10 recruiter 2 years ago in the Big 12 is more than enough for me and should be more than enough for everyone on here..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I've held the position this entire time that it is better to take the better Xs and Os guy than the better recruiter. He could be terrible at recruiting but if he can coach up 2 star talent to 3 consistently, who cares. Build it and they will come.

Why would you want a 2 star to play up to a 3 star when you could have a 3 star play up to a 4 star?? recruiting always matter. I just don't get the logic behind it. Coaching is important but we have to stop down playing the recruiting aspect! 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, p_phelps said:

Why would you want a 2 star to play up to a 3 star when you could have a 3 star play up to a 4 star?? recruiting always matter. I just don't get the logic behind it. Coaching is important but we have to stop down playing the recruiting aspect! 

The things with OL is that its very difficult to get higher ranked kids... 5 spots, on every team in he entire nation, plus quality backup as well... That is why this staff needs to be able to bring in kids and develop them. Yes we all would love to be bringing in 3* and I'm not saying we can't.. but OL is a very difficult position because of the # of spots and programs always looking for kids. This staff should be looking for kids that are 2* that could develop into 4*. The ability to recruit quality talent is important, but at this level you have to develop kids.. Look at what TCU and BSU have done.. they got kids and put them into spots to success..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, p_phelps said:

I agree, What's the budget to hire an Oline coach? Would we give a pay bump for a coach or would we keep it the same for the new coach? Maybe Wren can work out something to get us extra money for the position. It is one of the most important on the staff and he needs to be able to not only be a good coach but be able to get the talent at the position.

He was the highest paid OL coach in C-USA

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Greenrex said:

The Governor has issued a hiring freeze. I hope it doesn't affect this situation!

6 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

i was wondering if that would effect the basketball coach, will be stuck with him another season?

I would think that they won't affect the colleges, or they could say that they were doing it non-state money?

4 hours ago, Greenrex said:

The Governor has issued a hiring freeze. I hope it doesn't affect this situation!

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would think that they won't affect the colleges, or they could say that they were doing it non-state money?

It definitely includes universities and colleges, and we're all rather pissed about it.

The only saving grace here would be if somehow the position line is argued as already being dedicated. However, that's the logic we hoped would work with a key hire in the COM as we were finalizing, but now looks stalled.

These are always stupid political moves.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Greenrex said:

It might. But as soon as A&m or UT will have this sort of problem, the governor will find time to make an exception for college sports. So UNT might be stuck for a moment, but not overly long I would think.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I might add . . . hopefully Coach Davis will tell McElwain to shut his piehole with his slanders about Josh Wheeler.

I was wondering why Littrell didn't meet McElwain at the 50 yard line to have a fight for Davis' services.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I was wondering why Littrell didn't meet McElwain at the 50 yard line to have a fight for Davis' services.

What about bringing back Y'barbo? Probably a stretch but I'm sure we could do worse, remember Harold Ethridge anybody? I'd fold the program before I'd have that guy back.

Love him but no. Let him get his feet wet at JUCO level. 

• Upvote 2

Y'all,
Coach Davis was a fantastic coach.  This hurts bad.  Hopefully Littrell has someone in mind that can step right in and coach to his system like coach Davis, who's known him since their days playing together at OU.

Best of luck to coach Davis...  I would honestly rather lose ANY OTHER position coach besides him.

• Upvote 1