Round 2 of Facilities Improvement Started

BTG_Fan1

25 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I would think that the superpit will be torn down at some point. The land it is on is really valuable to the university for buildings or even parking.  They will build a new basketball arena across the highway. 

I cannot see the University tearing down the Super Pit for parking, or anything else really, unless we somehow come into some stupid amount of money we don't know how to spend.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I would be shocked to see the Super Pit replaced in the next 10 years.

Agreed, No need to replace it. Basketball Stadiums are meant to be old and unique. Look at all the big time College Basketball teams. 1950's or later

Plus, the Super Pit is the 9th wonder of the world

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just saying Baseball alone is on average a net  loss of 1.6 to 2M per season.. WB is right, that money could be poured into other areas to improve recruiting and facilities.

Also, the superpit is nearing the end with the costs of repairs and keeping it up to date, nearly costing as much as a new stadium would. From what I have heard is some big debt is about to come off the books in a year or 2(maybe 3) and I'm assuming that is Apogee, so I figure that is when the new Superpit would come around(but no idea). This is all information I've been told in a facilities class here at UNT.

Don't be get me wrong, I would love to see baseball. Heck being in DFW there is enough talent here alone. 

Yes, I would surely waste millions of dollars on a new basketball facility, when the SP is just fine.  I don't know why you think maintenance cost on the Super Pit would be anywhere close to what a new stadium would cost.  Unless there is major structural damage, a new basketball facility should not even be on the list of needed capital projects.  Spending what Apogee costs for a basketball arena half the size of the SP, is not logical to me.

I do agree on baseball.  There is just too much other stuff to fund before starting up another sport.  Of course, if Baker finds some major donors to fund baseball or to  build or renovate a basketball arena than priorities could change.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

All of you folks calling for the Pit to not be demolished must have never seen it behind the scenes. 

It either needs millions dumped into it or to be torn down. 

The Pit is the least of our worries.  Frankly it is just not pretty on the outside, it is that old dull architecture.

I just see things like a multi purpose indoor facility being a higher priority.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

The Pit is the least of our worries.  Frankly it is just not pretty on the outside, it is that old dull architecture.

According to WB, he expects to have some designs to review by Spring.  Said the scope is increasing.  All he said was "it's going to be awesome".

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Agreed, No need to replace it. Basketball Stadiums are meant to be old and unique. Look at all the big time College Basketball teams. 1950's or later

Plus, the Super Pit is the 9th wonder of the world

But the pit is not unique, just old. Nothing special or great about it other than it is paid for. I don't get the greatness of the pit...except for green seats now

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Disagree, I have heard from multiple sources the structural integrity is in question. It's old, delapitated, and is a severe safety hazard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The video board is run from Apogee, fyi. You'd be blown away by some Pit stories I have from working there. It's just not a good basketball arena, no matter how you slice it.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, THOR said:

But the pit is not unique, just old. Nothing special or great about it other than it is paid for. I don't get the greatness of the pit...except for green seats now

Sure it is unique, not another one like it.  Not sure anyone said it was great, just questioned the need to spend $50-100m to replace it. 

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

Disagree, I have heard from multiple sources the structural integrity is in question. It's old, delapitated, and is a severe safety hazard. 

Care to divulge where you are getting your information from.  NT could be in for serious trouble if they are allowing people to be in a severe safety hazard.   

2 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

All of you folks calling for the Pit to not be demolished must have never seen it behind the scenes. 

Actually I have seen most of the areas, but frankly why should a fan care what the areas they never see or use looks like.   It is still not a bad place to watch a basketball game.  Now Fouts was a bad stadium, but I don't see the Pit as being anywhere close to being in that category.   You can spend a lot of millions on repairing and improving the Pit, before it becomes cost ineffective compared to a new arena.  

A new arena was mentioned in the consultants report and Kram's message said it is in the plans.    So there is obviously a move on to build a new arena.  I do find it difficult to believe that a 50 year old structure is now a hazard.   They wouldn't be using it now and certainly wouldn't be planning to continue to use it for other purposes.  

I doubt that Apogee is going to be paid off anytime soon.   However, if it is they maybe planning another massive project to keep the student athletic fee in place.  I believe that fee only stays in effect as long as at least half of it is going to fund capital projects.   

Last, I hope all this isn't pie in the sky from our new AD.   I remember RV had similar plans in his first year.   It took about a decade to replace Fouts, and most of his other objectives were never met.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Sure it is unique, not another one like it.  Not sure anyone said it was great, just questioned the need to spend $50-100m to replace it. 

Care to divulge where you are getting your information from.  NT could be in for serious trouble if they are allowing people to be in a severe safety hazard.   

Actually I have seen most of the areas, but frankly why should a fan care what the areas they never see or use looks like.   It is still not a bad place to watch a basketball game.  Now Fouts was a bad stadium, but I don't see the Pit as being anywhere close to being in that category.   You can spend a lot of millions on repairing and improving the Pit, before it becomes cost ineffective compared to a new arena.  

A new arena was mentioned in the consultants report and Kram's message said it is in the plans.    So there is obviously a move on to build a new arena.  I do find it difficult to believe that a 50 year old structure is now a hazard.   They wouldn't be using it now and certainly wouldn't be planning to continue to use it for other purposes.  

I doubt that Apogee is going to be paid off anytime soon.   However, if it is they maybe planning another massive project to keep the student athletic fee in place.  I believe that fee only stays in effect as long as at least half of it is going to fund capital projects.   

Last, I hope all this isn't pie in the sky from our new AD.   I remember RV had similar plans in his first year.   It took about a decade to replace Fouts, and most of his other objectives were never met.   

The Pit isn't very workable is what I'm saying. It may be a fine place to watch a game. But it is waaaay more difficult than it should be to put on a game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The Pit yes is making money, from other events but with the code upgrades needed it is becoming to costly, right now they are doing the bare minimum to keep it up to current code. From what we have been told in my classes is that the SuperPit when built only cost around 18-20 Million, with it being worth only a few million now on top of it it needing many upgrades just to be in line with other stadiums.. heck it doesn't have enough power to run on its own for some events.. If you look at ground level entry doors that are towards the Pohl Rec center, you can see that they had to cut an access door/panel on left hand side for them to run wiring for generators at times. The underbelly of the Pit as well has classrooms(which I'm in) and they are not in great shape nor are some of the offices/ locker rooms.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THOR said:

and how is it unique?

Well maybe because there is nothing exactly like it.  Good or bad

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

UNT is beautiful...and then you've got...the Pit. We already demolished those crackhead apartments by Clark, take the Pit out next.

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

Uniquely ugly?

Now some want to spend millions of dollars because the outside of the Pit is ugly.   I am sure that is what is keeping basketball attendance down.  

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The Pit yes is making money, from other events but with the code upgrades needed it is becoming to costly, right now they are doing the bare minimum to keep it up to current code. From what we have been told in my classes is that the SuperPit when built only cost around 18-20 Million, with it being worth only a few million now on top of it it needing many upgrades just to be in line with other stadiums.. heck it doesn't have enough power to run on its own for some events.. If you look at ground level entry doors that are towards the Pohl Rec center, you can see that they had to cut an access door/panel on left hand side for them to run wiring for generators at times. The underbelly of the Pit as well has classrooms(which I'm in) and they are not in great shape nor are some of the offices/ locker rooms.

First thanks for a logical argument.  The SP construction cost was reported under $8m when built.   The UTA arena costs $78m in 2012 and seats 7,000.  That amount of money will buy a lot of electrical work.  

Apparently, someone has done a cost analysis that concludes it makes financial sense to build rather than renovate.   That is fine, but remember that Fouts had the same electrical problems and that went on for years.  

I am not opposed to building a new basketball arena, just think there are a lot of higher priorities.   Those priorities include: indoor multi-use training facility, new track facility, repairs and upgrades to the soccer field, softball field and tennis courts.   Plus insure that all sports have adequate locker rooms and equipment.   Also finish renovations of athletic center.  

I doubt all these projects will cost as much as the proposed new basketball facility which with a lot of bells and whistles could approach $100m.   Baker is going to have to find a lot of new donors to make this feasible.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

First thanks for a logical argument.  The SP construction cost was reported under $8m when built.   The UTA arena costs $78m in 2012 and seats 7,000.  That amount of money will buy a lot of electrical work.  

Apparently, someone has done a cost analysis that concludes it makes financial sense to build rather than renovate.   That is fine, but remember that Fouts had the same electrical problems and that went on for years.  

I am not opposed to building a new basketball arena, just think there are a lot of higher priorities.   Those priorities include: indoor multi-use training facility, new track facility, repairs and upgrades to the soccer field, softball field and tennis courts.   Plus insure that all sports have adequate locker rooms and equipment.   Also finish renovations of athletic center.  

I doubt all these projects will cost as much as the proposed new basketball facility which with a lot of bells and whistles could approach $100m.   Baker is going to have to find a lot of new donors to make this feasible.  

From how I have taken the discussions inside of my Facilities Management class, the Student Fees will stay the same no matter what(currently they generate about 8M is what was said in class), even when whatever coming off the books soon is paid off. Not to put you on the spot either but are we sure that UTA's stadium cost 78? or is this one amazing stadium for UTA? I only ask because the Student Union came out to be around $100Million for UNT(from what we were told).

The biggest problem/struggle with the SP is that since its so old, when new State/Local laws change they have to do major upgrades.. I've been told that they had to redo some of the sitting and that when new requirements were made for ADA(Disabilities), that this what really affects the SP. Also, just what we have come to expect as well with the times changing, such as TVs in the concession lines, etc.. While we want these upgrades the school is fighting the debate do they spend that X amount to put it in at the Superpit when it could be saved/sent else till the new stadium.

I do agree, and it seems that UNT is putting off the new Superpit for the next 2-3 years to build up the other sports since the Superpit is at a minimum standard would be best. With that being said, the first priority should be the IPF, which I would think with it taken this long for them to announce it, they must be doing something a lot bigger because I thought when they decided they would build the IPF they said they wanted it done during this upcoming summer(thought Vito had said this?) The IDF will aid in soccer, track, Football recruitment and also get those players out of the heat during the summer at times as well.

I'm sure WB would love to find more new donors, but knowing they will have endless amounts of students coming in, and the UNT President focusing on Athletics more I think we should be expecting a rise in budgets. Not because WB has a seat at the table now, but because of them wanting to make UNT a big time name now, but the President having his pick for AD as well now compared to RV.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I've been in, behind, on, above and under nearly ever inch of the Super Pit. 

Updated and renovated for 21st Century facility technology and current college basketball arena standards? Yes. Lots that can be done.

Need to tear it down and start all over? Hell no. The Pit ain't Fouts. 

And given the way the Pit was built, demolition is gonna cost many millions of dollar. Can't just tear it down like Fouts. Soooooo much reinforced concrete and steal beams in there.

• Upvote 7