1st year coaching grades

@UNTSportsFan

54 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

What a load of BS!...Littrell should get an A+. He took the worst team in America and turned them into a team that went to a bowl game and took their bowl opponent to OT before losing. Again, the year before, our team suffered a loss that was so humiliating that it registered as the worst loss in modern college football history and we had the worst offense in the country. In one year, the new coach got us 5 wins, with a bowl game that easily could've gone our way, as well.

All of that doesn't equal B- in most people's minds.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

The real question should be did this team 

A) Get exposed in the 2nd half of the season?

B) Just run into good teams/hot teams?

C) Did these guys just get worn down?

I"m going to say that they ran into good teams at the end like WKU, LAT, and UTSA(as much as we don't wanna say they are), and USM(which was still a solid team with their QB). Also, I don't think the offense did any favors to the defense with not scoring, or being quick with its possesions. But with how the team ran vs Army in the bowl game, that 2 weeks sure did look like it paid off. 

• Upvote 1

Littrel took 5 win talent and got 5 wins out of it.  That deserves a C+ to a B-.

Yeah we only win 1 game last year, but it was still 5 win talent and that is why the coaches are gone.  He should not be any higher just because the previous staff was real bad.  Stop comparing UNT to UNT.  We keep comparing UNT poor coaches to previous poor coaches instead of the rest of college football.

We won the games we were supposed to.  In my opinion, the most impressive win was at Army.

As far as improvement in play, the only major improvement I saw was at QB.  Everything else seem to be the same.  I'm not seeing the littrel got more out of the same players thing some are seeing with the exception at QB.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Littrel took 5 win talent and got 5 wins out of it.  That deserves a C+ to a B-.

Yeah we only win 1 game last year, but it was still 5 win talent and that is why the coaches are gone.  He should not be any higher just because the previous staff was real bad.  Stop comparing UNT to UNT.  We keep comparing UNT poor coaches to previous poor coaches instead of the rest of college football.

We won the games we were supposed to.  In my opinion, the most impressive win was at Army.

As far as improvement in play, the only major improvement I saw was at QB.  Everything else seem to be the same.  I'm not seeing the littrel got more out of the same players thing some are seeing with the exception at QB.

You got to also look at the players tat SL was working with.  Not that they were not lower FBS players, but the were lower FBS players that were recruited to a different style of play, both on offense and defense.  You gotta give him credit for making the most out of what he had in his quiver.  The O-line was the hardest to work with.  These guys were brought here for run blocking.  SL has a completely different scheme on offense.  I say/think he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

30 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You got to also look at the players tat SL was working with.  Not that they were not lower FBS players, but the were lower FBS players that were recruited to a different style of play, both on offense and defense.  You gotta give him credit for making the most out of what he had in his quiver.  The O-line was the hardest to work with.  These guys were brought here for run blocking.  SL has a completely different scheme on offense.  I say/think he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with...

I agree he did well with what he inherited, but at the same time, worried like crazy that he lost 5/6  to close the season, with the one win being against a team with out their star QB or it could have been a 5 gm losing streak and no Academic Bowl option.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, untbowler said:

I agree he did well with what he inherited, but at the same time, worried like crazy that he lost 5/6  to close the season, with the one win being against a team with out their star QB or it could have been a 5 gm losing streak and no Academic Bowl option.

you forget, we were without our starting QB as well.  Not that we have a definitive starter, but the one that SL picked to start was out for most of that time frame as well....  Not sure it would have made a difference.... No excuses; we need to improve.  But I think SL did a good job with what he had.  the next 2 seasons will tell us a lot.....I am thinking we improve going forward....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

So you want me to give him credit for actually coaching.  All that you described is part of the job description.  It's managing talent and working with what you have.  At any given time a team has to adjust in a sport like football.  A player can go down at any time and adjusts have to be quick and sometimes in the middle of a game.  

Seems like we became so used to seeing the same ole thing over and over, that we are giving extra credit for someone finally doing some thing different from time to time and actually coaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

you forget, we were without our starting QB as well.  Not that we have a definitive starter, but the one that SL picked to start was out for most of that time frame as well....  Not sure it would have made a difference.... No excuses; we need to improve.  But I think SL did a good job with what he had.  the next 2 seasons will tell us a lot.....I am thinking we improve going forward....

yes and no. Alec Morris was the starting QB to begin the season, he was brought in by SL to provide leadership which he did to end the season, so USM losing Mullens was a much bigger loss.

28 minutes ago, untbowler said:

yes and no. Alec Morris was the starting QB to begin the season, he was brought in by SL to provide leadership which he did to end the season, so USM losing Mullens was a much bigger loss.

The talent gap between Mullens and the QB that played against UNT was YUGE!!! The talent gap between Morris and Fine was non-existent. Remember, the coaching staff was about to go back to Morris when Fine got hurt. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1