Baylor Problems Worsen... A Lot.

Cerebus

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Orrrr, given the ordeal that rape victims have to go through, these women may want to hit Baylor the only place it hurts while also avoiding having their names be part of this circus.  

A criminal trial means their names become public...and every defender of rape culture with their "what was she wearing", "was she drinking" or "was she being flirtatious" garbage will crawl out of their holes.  Then, after the public scrutiny phase, the girl gets to relive the event while a defense attorney questions her level Of promiscuity and paints her as a liar (and you are a FOOL if you don't think Baylor would throw a crap ton of money towards the criminal defense of these young men to avoid the PR hit of multiple convictions).  

So, no, I don't just readily assume that this is a group of gold diggers out to sully Baylor's good name.  I have two daughters and I would wholeheartedly support their attempts to seek justice, regardless of the avenue they chose to seek it.  

The media does not report names of sex abuse victims. Haven't for many a year. Unless you are sitting in the courtroom or go through the effort and expense to order a transcript, the name won't appear.

Also, criminal trial victims are afforded the opportunity to use a pseudonym form so their real name is never used at all.

If victims names are in the media, in just about every case it's because they allowed it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

20 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I'm with 90 on this one.  Yes they both involve accusations of sexual assault but there is one glaring difference, the continued allowance of a former staffer to use football facilities over a period of 15 years to commit the rape of underprivileged children under the guise of charity. This was not an accusation by an adult made upon another adult. This was a 60 year old man witnessed penetrating a 10 year old boy in the football showers by an assistant coach. While the Baylor stuff is terrible, there is no cause for you to say the alleged assault of Waco coeds away from athletic department facilities is worse than the confirmed rape of boys as young as 8 in athletic facilities over that many years. Sorry, you will never convince me of that.

You could certainly make the argument either way, but in the eyes of NCAA and College Football in general, i am of the mind that the Baylor scandal is much worse the Penn State, due to one certainty.  The Baylor scandal impacted the the product on the field.  Recruiting, allowing players that should have been kicked off the team or at least suspended some time to play, etc......    While the Penn State scandal was probably morally worse given that it happened to underage victims, the NCAA should have more obligation to punish Baylor because of the on the filed advantages it game them.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I remember everyone telling me how screwed the school officials would be when Briles' slander lawsuit hit them.  He dropped it:

DaMN: Ex-Baylor coach Art Briles drops libel lawsuit against school officials

"All he wanted was his good name." Cannon said, adding that his client decided to quit litigation because Briles "wants some peace in his life." 

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

"All he wanted was his good name." Cannon said, adding that his client decided to quit litigation because Briles "wants some peace in his life." 

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. He wanted peace in his life? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Did Cannon say that with a straight face? The lawsuit was dropped because Cannon and Briles knew that:

1. They had a snowballs chance of winning.

2. Additional information was gonna come out that made Briles look even worse than he already does(if that's possible at this point).

Plain and simple. Baylor put the football program and the money it brings ahead of the well-being of dozens of women if not more. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. He wanted peace in his life? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Did Cannon say that with a straight face? The lawsuit was dropped because Cannon and Briles knew that:

1. They had a snowballs chance of winning.

2. Additional information was gonna come out that made Briles look even worse than he already does(if that's possible at this point).

Plain and simple. Baylor put the football program and the money it brings ahead of the well-being of dozens of women if not more. 

Worshipping the golden trophy.  The administration, the coaches, even law enforcement all seem to have been in on it. 

Mark Emmert should come down from the NCAA mountain and teach them a lesson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/police/baylor-strength-coach-arrested-on-prostitution-charge/article_4388ab9e-daf5-5704-b83d-f61a1e7740c3.html

Shut. It. Down. Now.

It's not like he raped a student and they fired him so there's some signs of progress...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

B12 voted today to withhold 25% of Baylor's conference revenue.

NCAA is also looking them over for rules violations, like improper benefits, etc.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18615626/ncaa-continues-investigate-potential-rules-violations-baylor-bears

If the NCAA ever wanted to hit someone with the death penalty, Baylor is the perfect piñata for the NCAAs hammer. Small private school with a recognizable name who is in a dying conference and wasn't going to have a seat at the power leagues' table anyway.

That said, I doubt they will ever give out the death penalty again, but Baylor has had a basketball player murder another player, both of whom were being paid by Baylor's staff, and then this serial raping of Baylor coeds by football players being covered up, all within a 15 year timeframe. All of a sudden, SMU paying players $$$$ for a decade doesn't seem so bad...

SMU and Baylor do have one thing in common in all of this--nobody gave two $hits about them until they got really good...like beating Texas on the field and winning conference titles, neither of which are to be allowed in the media outlets in this great state of ours, full of Texas grads. Remember, it was Texas Monthly, the UT rag from Austin, that broke this story. Amazingly, the Texas Monthly staff didn't look into anything going on in Waco with Baylor's program until they won the Big XII (again) in 2014.  That's the way it has always worked in this state.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

If the NCAA ever wanted to hit someone with the death penalty, Baylor is the perfect piñata for the NCAAs hammer. Small private school with a recognizable name who is in a dying conference and wasn't going to have a seat at the power leagues' table anyway.

That said, I doubt they will ever give out the death penalty again, but Baylor has had a basketball player murder another player, both of whom were being paid by Baylor's staff, and then this serial raping of Baylor coeds by football players being covered up, all within a 15 year timeframe. All of a sudden, SMU paying players $$$$ for a decade doesn't seem so bad...

SMU and Baylor do have one thing in common in all of this--nobody gave two $hits about them until they got really good...like beating Texas on the field and winning conference titles, neither of which are to be allowed in the media outlets in this great state of ours, full of Texas grads. Remember, it was Texas Monthly, the UT rag from Austin, that broke this story. Amazingly, the Texas Monthly staff didn't look into anything going on in Waco with Baylor's program until they won the Big XII (again) in 2014.  That's the way it has always worked in this state.

People say Baylor has a small enrollment but when you compare them to other private universities they are one of the bigger schools at almost 17,000 enrolled for Fall 2016.

I doubt they are given the death penalty. Perhaps a multi-year postseason ban, loss of some scholarships, and some recruiting restrictions.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2017 at 9:42 PM, TreeFiddy said:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/police/baylor-strength-coach-arrested-on-prostitution-charge/article_4388ab9e-daf5-5704-b83d-f61a1e7740c3.html

Shut. It. Down. Now.

I am, by no means, a fan of Baylor.  In fact, next to SMU, they are probably my least favorite team, but this should not be held over the school.  This moron made this choice on his own time and should not reflect on the university.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:30 AM, TreeFiddy said:

Worshipping the golden trophy.  The administration, the coaches, even law enforcement all seem to have been in on it. 

Mark Emmert should come down from the NCAA mountain and teach them a lesson.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:30 PM, UNTFan23 said:

NCAA is also looking them over for rules violations, like improper benefits, etc.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18615626/ncaa-continues-investigate-potential-rules-violations-baylor-bears

Improper recruiting benefits on top of everything....its about to get real toasty for Baylor.

I also don't think death penalty. But maybe something creative on top of the usual. The usual being a fine, docking about 20 schollies, docking practice time, multi year post season ban and allowing recruits to transfer out without having to sit (all of which, if it had really properly been applied to Penn state would have had decent effect I believe). Creative new stuff could for example be a reduction of amount of games per season 9 (meaning they'd have to buy out any non-conference game), reduction of amount of official coaching staff allowed for several seasons. Things like that. Might end up not being the death penalty, but being fairly close.Lets see if Mr Emmert feels like going there. He might not after the Penn State experience, but I believe he will levy something substantial.

Just now, outoftown said:

Improper recruiting benefits on top of everything....its about to get real toasty for Baylor.

I also don't think death penalty. But maybe something creative on top of the usual. The usual being a fine, docking about 20 schollies, docking practice time, multi year post season ban and allowing recruits to transfer out without having to sit (all of which, if it had really properly been applied to Penn state would have had decent effect I believe). Creative new stuff could for example be a reduction of amount of games per season 9 (meaning they'd have to buy out any non-conference game), reduction of amount of official coaching staff allowed for several seasons. Things like that. Might end up not being the death penalty, but being fairly close.Lets see if Mr Emmert feels like going there. He might not after the Penn State experience, but I believe he will levy something substantial.

The problem with reducing games, even if it were just OOC games, is that other teams are negatively affected by that. This may or may not have national championship implications. Even if you were to somehow force TV out of covering Baylor games, basically a TV blackout like what happened to some schools in the Southwest Conference, it still negatively affects other schools.

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

The problem with reducing games, even if it were just OOC games, is that other teams are negatively affected by that. This may or may not have national championship implications. Even if you were to somehow force TV out of covering Baylor games, basically a TV blackout like what happened to some schools in the Southwest Conference, it still negatively affects other schools.

Yes it will affect other members negatively. However, a look at the scheduled games in the next few seasons makes it clear, that (other than maybe Ole Miss) it would have little to no implication on playoff contenders, and that the teams scheduled likely have little pull in the NCAA:

• 09/02 - Liberty
  • 09/09 - UTSA
  • 09/16 - at Duke

• 09/01 - Abilene Christian
  • 09/08 - at UTSA
  • 09/15 - Duke

• 08/31 - Stephen F. Austin
  • 09/07 - UTSA
  • TBA - at Rice

On a personal note, that this would take a P5 home game from UTSA makes me want it, not that I got any sway on the matter.

Edited by outoftown

27 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Yes it will affect other members negatively. However, a look at the scheduled games in the next few seasons makes it clear, that (other than maybe Ole Miss) it would have little to no implication on playoff contenders, and that the teams scheduled likely have little pull in the NCAA:

Maybe not teams directly affected will be play off contenders but indirectly it could have playoff implications. Not playing Duke means Duke only has 11 games or ends up filling that 12th game with a lesser opponent thus weakening their strength of schedule (perceived and actual). That could negatively affect members of the ACC and the conference's top team who might have had a better chance to make the Playoffs if Duke hadn't had to lose their game against Baylor.

Edited by UNTFan23

3 hours ago, Boca_Nasty_96 said:

In my opinion I believe Art Briles and Baylor Former President Should be prosecuted and Their football team should get the Death Penalty  

I agree with you but most think that will never happen.  I would think at a minimum you could look at 2-3 years without a bowl and scholarship reductions though.  That would hurt.

Let's be honest, they can play it off like nothing happened but their brand has taken a HUGE hit not just from John Q public but their own alums and donors.  I don't think Art Briles will ever get a job again after those texts were released.  Not only did he foster a culture of rape but he lied about it...  I think all of the assistants there should pay a price as well but they all seem to have landed on their feet.  One was brought on by Tom Hermans at Texas (Casey Horney?).

It will take years to fix that although Penn State has proven there is life after.  It's all about the money.  If you have a big brand that generates dollars, ESPN (who really drives everything including the NCAA) will cut you some slack.