MGB: Breaking news -- Goree finds new home

Brett Vito

16 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Brings up a good question.  Has Rutherford play much this year?  Seems like he's a permanent redshirt, or not good enough to play.  He might even transfer to SFA. Then what?

We really seem to have a problem recruiting quality players to UNT, and I suspect it's lack of a recruiting budget equal, at the very least, to the competition were recruiting against.

I don't the budget is a significant factor.   I doubt many even know what expenses this covers and I am sure it is different at every school.  The 2013 numbers had NT last in CUSU's recruiting budgets at $145K, but the highest reported was ODU at $241k.    

I can't believe with all the monies NT is now spending that basically $100,000 in recruiting expenses would be allowed to hinder NT's efforts in attracting quality players.  

I don't know that Tee will ever get his s together. For his own sake, I hope he does. If players don't understand the reason for the dismissal, they are either dillusional or are too close to Goree and the other kid to be objective. 

Give it a year in their rear view and they will have a different perspective. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Multiple people are reporting him and Robinson both could have earned their way back onto the team in the Spring/Summer if they worked out everything needed. 

For Goree is that even an option financially? I think I saw a tweet from his saying he will be on scholarship at SFA so if he doesn't have the money to pay for school at UNT (assuming his scholarship was pulled when he was dismissed from the team) it just wouldn't make sense for him to risk earning his way back. Too much money on the table and he would be losing ncaa eligibility. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

No.

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

sources?

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

For Goree is that even an option financially? I think I saw a tweet from his saying he will be on scholarship at SFA so if he doesn't have the money to pay for school at UNT (assuming his scholarship was pulled when he was dismissed from the team) it just wouldn't make sense for him to risk earning his way back. Too much money on the table and he would be losing ncaa eligibility. 

Vito had posted in a blog, that Goree and Robinson both could have worked there way onto the team and I believe he may have said it on the podcast(not 100% if he had), also one of the admins as well had brought it up that they would have worked their way back... Now if that means for them to be on scholarship or just be on the team, no idea.. But Vito, and admin on here had brought it 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, gangrene said:

Does anyone know if this is related to academics or if he'd lost academic eligibility?  If so, this will count against us in the APR next year.

Not academic related. No effect on APR.

*Unless both gave up on classes after suspension.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Vito had posted in a blog, that Goree and Robinson both could have worked there way onto the team and I believe he may have said it on the podcast(not 100% if he had), also one of the admins as well had brought it up that they would have worked their way back... Now if that means for them to be on scholarship or just be on the team, no idea.. But Vito, and admin on here had brought it 

Not trying to put you on the spot.

Personally, I love my fellow posters, but IMO a poster - even an admin - does not qualify as an official source.

Vito was not in the know, so take it for what it's worth.

Cheers and beers - gm

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

19 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Not academic related. No effect on APR.

*Unless both gave up on classes after suspension.

Is it not at least a hit when a player leaves prior to graduating, not as big as failing out, but still a small hit because they left in good standing before graduation

When guys break the rules here there should be consequences.  I am not interested in wining the wrong way and getting busted by the NCAA as soon as we win a few CUSA titles.   Losing sucks but there are too many good athletes in this region and UNT has too many resources not to have tough standards for their student athletes.   I hope he learned a valuable lesson and is better off for it.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Well, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Goree participating in an unsanctioned street fight with a robot last night. I guess it's pretty serious. 

I heard Goree and Robinson were caught in a four way with a blow up doll and a robot lover.

• Downvote 2

They broke the law, NCAA rules and also let their fellow teammates down the night before a game.  One of the players was too LAZY (hint infraction) to try and earn his way back onto the team so he headed back East. Bottom line, kudos to the coaching staff for holding student athletes accountable and not trying to win while sacrificing integrity. I feel this program is finally headed in the right direction. High APR✔️ Accountability ✔️ Not sacrificing integrity over wins✔️ ?Thank you Seth and Wren!!!

GMG #beatarmyagain

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3