Texas won't accept bowl bid

emmitt01

Hard to play in a game when you don’t have a coaching staff in place.  With that said if I was doing their marketing I would go with the commitment to excellence mantra. in our new America its about the number of times you say something not the substance behind your words.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Perfect example.  5-7 Team, which leads to dismissing HC & staff, but APR still allows them the be bowl eligible, so the team passes on the opportunity. 

To me, this is evidence that the post season is getting diluted with WAY too many bowl games.   

This situation is going to become very common as long as there are so many bowl games.    

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

Perfect example.  5-7 Team, which leads to dismissing HC & staff, but APR still allows them the be bowl eligible, so the team passes on the opportunity. 

To me, this is evidence that the post season is getting diluted with WAY too many bowl games.   

This situation is going to become very common as long as there are so many bowl games.    

Tell me that the next time we go 10-1 and 9-2 and don't get a bowl. 

I remember when we beat the crap out of La Tech and didn't get a bowl because the Independence Bowl was obligated to invite La Tech as the Southland champion, but didn't want us to hammer them again. 

Our coach leaves, we make one of the worst hiring decisions in our history and take the Freshmen coach from Nebraska.

He goes 11-11 with the best talent we've ever had and the downhill slide begins.

I'll take a bowl at 5-7 or 4-8 or anything else.  It is only a little payback for all the times it didn't work for us.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

I remember when we beat the crap out of La Tech and didn't get a bowl because the Independence Bowl was obligated to invite La Tech as the Southland champion, but didn't want us to hammer them again. 

Our coach leaves, we make one of the worst hiring decisions in our history and take the Freshmen coach from Nebraska.

He goes 11-11 with the best talent we've ever had and the downhill slide begins.

I'll take a bowl at 5-7 or 4-8 or anything else.  It is only a little payback for all the times it didn't work for us.

Right?!  We, and plenty of other midmajors, have been screwed out of everything from bowls to TV money to games like the "win" over UT...something finally bounces our way once in a while, take it.

• Upvote 2

It was obvious they couldn't take a bowl game as soon as Herman fired the current staff and then told the incoming coaches he already hired that he didn't expect them to show up until after they coached in their bowl game.

IMHO he did that on purpose.   He knew their bowl game chances aren't good and he would much rather start his career against San Jose State, the 2017 season opener.  

5 hours ago, UNT86 said:

How about at 3-9 or 2-10, or ...?

I mean...a bowl invite is a bowl invite.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

1 hour ago, Eagle1855 said:

That's a new take on Tom Herman. 

Yeah, I'm sure the handful seniors that actually played a down of football this season will be devastated. 

UT's 973, while a good bit behind our 984, is well ahead of Tech's 941, SMU's 945 and TCU's pathetic 935. 

how is that possible , texas only takes the best students (lol).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Eagle1855 said:

That's a new take on Tom Herman. 

Yeah, I'm sure the handful seniors that actually played a down of football this season will be devastated. 

UT's 973, while a good bit behind our 984, is well ahead of Tech's 941, SMU's 945 and TCU's pathetic 935. 

What was all that flagship BS talk by Herman? Why turn down a potential Bowl in your state of Texas? Flagship my ass...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, PRAK said:

Screw em they wouldn't have gotten a bid anyways Lmao 

That's my biggest issue here. Why talk Bowl when you know your ass is probably not getting an invite. So let's all come out (douchebag voice on) ->"We're not accepting a Bowl bid because we don't deserve it for not getting to 6 wins." 

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Well, TU won't have to worry about turning down an invite because nobody will be inviting them.

Regarding Herman, here is a less than positive view of the situation by a Housta supporter:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/houston-booster-rips-judas-tom-herman-texas/v8xv23rc5x0y17c8kum8k6uh9

Tom Herman is a straight up tool.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Eagle1855 said:

This has been enlightening.

TU is Tulsa. t.u. is something reserved for Aggies (you'll note I said Aggies, not 'aggy' -- because I didn't got to UT). You are presumably not an Aggie. This is an amateur move.  

UH fans are thin-skinned lot. This article doesn't surprise me. Also an amateur move. 

You always have the best takes. Like little windows to an intellect that is generally unseen on message boards. 

So you're telling me you'd take a job, then have two weeks to meet then prepare a team for a bowl that means absolutely dick-squat in the grand scheme of things? OKAY! You guys are really good at this. 

Thank you telling the rest of us the rules about internetting and how to properly college football. Everything should be great now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Eagle1855 said:

TU is Tulsa. t.u. is something reserved for Aggies (you'll note I said Aggies, not 'aggy' -- because I didn't got to UT). You are presumably not an Aggie. This is an amateur move.  

UH fans are thin-skinned lot. This article doesn't surprise me. Also an amateur move. 

You always have the best takes. Like little windows to an intellect that is generally unseen on message boards. 

So you're telling me you'd take a job, then have two weeks to meet then prepare a team for a bowl that means absolutely dick-squat in the grand scheme of things? OKAY! You guys are really good at this. 

What about Herman's current team in Houston??? The tool just skipped out on his kids & recruits for their post season. The turd sandwich made his decision to leave after their 1st loss mid-season.....

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Eagle1855 said:

Thank you for telling me how I should conduct myself, man! Any more life advice?

Typical T-Shirt whorn fan.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2