WBAP's Steve Lamb Saying He's Hearing its NT vs Navy In Armed Forces Bowl

FirefightnRick

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Army and Navy are not in the same class this year.  I don't think we're worried about the shame of losing to Navy by double digits, because that's almost a given...but I am worried about the shame of losing to Navy in a beatdown worse than what WKU did to us.

This is Navy we're talking about here. A team that is currently 9-2 and will play Temple and Army in the next 2 weeks. They could very well finish 11-2. Even a beatdown wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not like we would be losing 56 points to a 3-9 Iowa State like Texas Tech did. That's shameful. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This is Navy we're talking about here. A team that is currently 9-2 and will play Temple and Army in the next 2 weeks. They could very well finish 11-2. Even a beatdown wouldn't be the end of the world. It's not like we would be losing 56 points to a 3-9 Iowa State like Texas Tech did. That's shameful. 

"It's never OK to lose." - Nick Satan 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/11/29/bowl-projections-college-football-playoff-predictions

Armed Forces Dec. 23 Fort Worth, Texas Big 12 vs. Navy North Texas* vs. Navy

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/conference-usa-week-13-rankings-bowl-projections-scores

Armed Forces Bowl
North Texas

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Armed Forces Bowl Dec. 23 Fort Worth, Tex. Big 12 vs. Navy North Texas+ vs. Navy
Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Navy is Army, except they can keep you accountable with a passing game. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Or... Navy has an incredible run offense that even Houston was not able to stop.  Houston held OU to 2.2 YPC, and OU averages 5.2 YPC for the season. 

Navy Averages 6.0 yards per rush.  They have 53 rushing touch downs.  When they pass, they are effective, with a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but this is not a favorable matchup, set your expectations accordingly.  

We had two weeks to prepare for Army. We'll have three weeks to prepare for Navy. Houston and smu did not see a wishbone all year and had one week to prepare. I know the odds will be against us, but tee it high and let it fly! and let's see what happens.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

So they're better in the air attack?

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT
Will Worth 71 115 1363 61.7 11.85 8 3 179.0

Is Navy's starting QB in the air.

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT
Ahmad Bradshaw 36 84 622 42.9 7.41 4 8 101.7

Is Army's Starting QB the air.

NAME CAR YDS AVG LONG TD
Will Worth 258 1181 4.6 60 25

Navy's QB on the ground

Ahmad Bradshaw 158 646 4.1 60 (TD) 6

Army's QB on the ground. (Sorry for the bad formatting, harder to copy paste as Bradshaw is the second leading rusher on his team. Worth is the first.

Their ground game is really, really good as it has been noted. But I think Worth can beat you deep if you over commit to the run. That really wasn't an issue at Army.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, meangreendork said:

Right, Army didn't have a choice but to run. They don't have the talent for a big passing attack and they've committed to the ground game. Navy looks to be able to do both, in addition to a solid defense. 

It'd be an uphill game. Related, I've seen TCU and UT as possible opponents. I'll take UT of those two.

Army has two quarterbacks and the one that's better at passing was our for out game due to injury.   I hope Fine and Wilson are back and we can score some points.  I hope we can keep it close into the second half.  

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

1WkUje7.gif

My father in law talks Thai.  He talks Thai very good.  In fact, when we go out to a Thai restaurant he always talks to them in Thai.  Fortunately, he's a great father in law and since I'm already married to his daughter he's stuck with me. 

Below is Stewart Mandel's projection that puts North Texas in the city that Amon Carter said was a helluva' lot more fun than Big D.  Of course, when Amon Carter said move TCU always jumped and then named their football stadium after him. 

(AND......not sure whose on the Armed Forces Bowl selection committee but I'm sure the Voice of the Horned Frogs who is on WBAP 820 AM every morning and was "the Voice of the HOD Bowl" radio coverage on 1/1/2014 may have (who knows) put in a good word for our local DFW Mean Green fan support)?  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/stewart-mandels-college-football-bowl-projections-for-all-40-games/ss-AAkUG0X?ocid=spartandhp#image=18

Armed Forces Bowl: North Texas vs. Navy

Date: Dec. 23 — Fort Worth, Texas

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

ESPN brings up a good point.  The committee could select Navy instead of Western Michigan.  If they are taking the "best team"  I'd select Navy over Western Michigan.  

If they were taking the best teams right now, I might have USC in my top 4.  It's not all about being the best.  Deserving definitely plays a part.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

If they were taking the best teams right now, I might have USC in my top 4.  It's not all about being the best.  Deserving definitely plays a part.

Yep.  And I'd have Ohio State and Michigan on the outside looking in.  I think we're heading towards another Alabama - Clemson match.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, WilliamQuinn said:

I really really don't think we are going to get paired against a team that is going to beat our brains in.  I don't think any bowl wants that.

That is what I dread if we end up with Navy. Even worse, I can hear those Navy guys singing in the bars after the game..."Your treat's been the meat for the whole damn fleet, said Barnacle Bill the sailor!".

18 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

If Navy wins this weekend against Temple, it could mess up the Match up for the Armed Forces Bowl

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18171618/navy-midshipmen-win-aac-title-game-paralyze-bowl-system

Wow, that could be a real mess. 

Some bowl sources believe the nightmare scenario actually would be Western Michigan losing the MAC title game and Navy winning the American. Then the committee likely would have to wait for the Navy-Army result, because it's unknown how far Navy would drop in the rankings after a loss to Army. They potentially could be passed by another Group of 5 champ, including San Diego State or Wyoming in the Mountain West or Western Kentucky in Conference USA.

16 hours ago, SSP said:

THIS...

Sometimes people forget that this is all about ?????????

Hmmm, I thought it was about making money for a community that hosts the bowl. And the best way to make money is get teams that travel very well, and/or teams with local interest. You know, like a team that has 100K+ alumni living in the area....that brought 30k+ to their last local bowl game.