I spent way too much time planning fictional realignment

Caw Caw

Hello Folks,

I a lot of time with a buddy talking about our dream scenario of realignment. Please note it was part geography and part competitiveness that drove it. I'm obviously a North Texas fan (G5) and he's a Notre Dame fan (Indy P5). So first let me hit you with how the CFB Playoffs work now in the wonderland before we go any further. 12 Teams, 10 conference champions and two at-large bids. Very March Madness like on a smaller scale. Obviously, 4 teams would have a first round bye depending on the ever-loathed ranking systems. Everyone gets a shot, even if they'll get dumpstered in the playoffs. Straight and clear path, no excuses, no east coast bias, etc.

With all that being said, there is still an obvious stratification of P5 and G5. This leads to a huge financial difference. How can we at least give the little man a shot at the big money? There are 10, 12 team conferences. The five P5 have a direct G5 affiliate. Why does this matter? We want CFB to work like the Premier League (that's soccer). The division champions of the G5 league will square off not only for the playoff game but for the right to pick which division they will land in in their affiliated P5. Both division champs are moving up anyway, it's just a little kicker. If you finished in last in your division in P5, better luck next year, you're moving down. While I won't go into detail about FCS, it could theoretically work the same way.

So what does moving up get you other than a harder path to the CFB Playoff? The almighty dollar. We all know the money is better up there and if you can stabilize yourself in your new shiny P5 league, you can reap the exposure rewards as well. It will also be a very quick litmus test to find out if and where a team really belongs. In order to do this we made some realignment decisions. This is what that looks like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qaen8H0lEzs4HOVQDmLIvDtfZYpcVqLtssDXDsKU5y4/edit?usp=sharing

Southwest Pacific Midwest Atlantic SEC
Lonestar Division Lewis Agriculture Continental Jazz
Texas USC Notre Dame Va Tech Georgia Tech
A&M Utah Pitt Louisville Auburn
Baylor San Diego State Penn State Virginia La Tech
TCU Colorado Ohio State West Virginia LSU
Texas Tech BYU Nebraska FSU Georgia
Houston UCLA Missouri Florida Miss State
Native Division Clark Industrial Coastal Bluegrass
OU Washington Michigan Miami Ole Miss
OSU Washingotn St Michigan State UNC Tennessee
K-State Cal Iowa Clemson Vanderbilt
Arkansas Boise St Minnesota Navy Kentucky
Arizona Stanford Western Michigan Temple South Carolina
Arizona State Oregon Wisconsin Duke Alabama

Southwest Light Pacific Light Midwest Light Atlantic Light SEC Light
Lonestar Light Lewis Agriculture Continental Jazz
UNT Air Force Cincinatti Marshall Tulane
UTSA San Jose Purdue Old Dominion Southern Miss
SMU Utah State Indiana Appalachan State ULM
Rice Hawaii Ohio USF Georgia Southern
UTEP Fresno State Miami (OH) UCF FIU
Sam Houston Eastern Wash Akron Charlotte ULL
Natives Light Clark Industrial Coastal Bluegrass
Tulsa Wyoming Northwestern Syracuse Western Kentucky
Kansas Oregon State Illinois NC State Troy
Ark State ND State Toledo Maryland Middle Tennessee
Iowa State UNLV Eastern Mich Rutgers Memphis
New Mexico Idaho Central Mich Boston College Wake Forrest
Colorado State Nevada ND State Army South Alabama

There is some room for negotiation or suggestion on the realignment but this is what made sense to us. Hope this was at least entertaining and i'd love to hear your thoughts. (Yes i'm aware this will never happen).

Edit: For the Record. I wanted to call the SEC the Deep South.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Anything you would change or conference shake up you think we missed?

I'd nix Sam Houston for Texas State. I'd also try and fit teams like New Mexico, UTEP, Colorado State, ect into a Rocky Mountain type division. Oh, and I'd give NMSU one last chance in D1 football.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

Hello Folks,

I a lot of time with a buddy talking about our dream scenario of realignment. Please note it was part geography and part competitiveness that drove it. I'm obviously a North Texas fan (G5) and he's a Notre Dame fan (Indy P5). So first let me hit you with how the CFB Playoffs work now in the wonderland before we go any further. 12 Teams, 10 conference champions and two at-large bids. Very March Madness like on a smaller scale. Obviously, 4 teams would have a first round bye depending on the ever-loathed ranking systems. Everyone gets a shot, even if they'll get dumpstered in the playoffs. Straight and clear path, no excuses, no east coast bias, etc.

With all that being said, there is still an obvious stratification of P5 and G5. This leads to a huge financial difference. How can we at least give the little man a shot at the big money? There are 10, 12 team conferences. The five P5 have a direct G5 affiliate. Why does this matter? We want CFB to work like the Premier League (that's soccer). The division champions of the G5 league will square off not only for the playoff game but for the right to pick which division they will land in in their affiliated P5. Both division champs are moving up anyway, it's just a little kicker. If you finished in last in your division in P5, better luck next year, you're moving down. While I won't go into detail about FCS, it could theoretically work the same way.

So what does moving up get you other than a harder path to the CFB Playoff? The almighty dollar. We all know the money is better up there and if you can stabilize yourself in your new shiny P5 league, you can reap the exposure rewards as well. It will also be a very quick litmus test to find out if and where a team really belongs. In order to do this we made some realignment decisions. This is what that looks like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qaen8H0lEzs4HOVQDmLIvDtfZYpcVqLtssDXDsKU5y4/edit?usp=sharing

Southwest Pacific Midwest Atlantic SEC
Lonestar Division Lewis Agriculture Continental Jazz
Texas USC Notre Dame Va Tech Georgia Tech
A&M Utah Pitt Louisville Auburn
Baylor San Diego State Penn State Virginia La Tech
TCU Colorado Ohio State West Virginia LSU
Texas Tech BYU Nebraska FSU Georgia
Houston UCLA Missouri Florida Miss State
Native Division Clark Industrial Coastal Bluegrass
OU Washington Michigan Miami Ole Miss
OSU Washingotn St Michigan State UNC Tennessee
K-State Cal Iowa Clemson Vanderbilt
Arkansas Boise St Minnesota Navy Kentucky
Arizona Stanford Western Michigan Temple South Carolina
Arizona State Oregon Wisconsin Duke Alabama

Southwest Light Pacific Light Midwest Light Atlantic Light SEC Light
Lonestar Light Lewis Agriculture Continental Jazz
UNT Air Force Cincinatti Marshall Tulane
UTSA San Jose Purdue Old Dominion Southern Miss
SMU Utah State Indiana Appalachan State ULM
Rice Hawaii Ohio USF Georgia Southern
UTEP Fresno State Miami (OH) UCF FIU
Sam Houston Eastern Wash Akron Charlotte ULL
Natives Light Clark Industrial Coastal Bluegrass
Tulsa Wyoming Northwestern Syracuse Western Kentucky
Kansas Oregon State Illinois NC State Troy
Ark State ND State Toledo Maryland Middle Tennessee
Iowa State UNLV Eastern Mich Rutgers Memphis
New Mexico Idaho Central Mich Boston College Wake Forrest
Colorado State Nevada ND State Army South Alabama

There is some room for negotiation or suggestion on the realignment but this is what made sense to us. Hope this was at least entertaining and i'd love to hear your thoughts. (Yes i'm aware this will never happen).

Edit: For the Record. I wanted to call the SEC the Deep South.

You might be on to something! We all know the big12 is going to blow up! I sure enjoyed playing Tulsa and Tulane! Thanks 

5 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I'd nix Sam Houston for Texas State. I'd also try and fit teams like New Mexico, UTEP, Colorado State, ect into a Rocky Mountain type division. Oh, and I'd give NMSU one last chance in D1 football.

We did go over every single D1 team. And then the top of the FCS. Because FCS - G5 change in a similar manner to P5/G5 any really wrong moves we would have made would correct themselves over time. I totally see the validity of moving UTEP to the Pacific side of things. NMSU is bad, T-state is bad and Sam Houston is on top of their league. There were several teams we didn't like relegating to FCS, but the numbers had to be balanced for the system to function best. If you could give me the schools you'd take out NMSU etc, it makes it easier for me to consider the change.

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Where is Texas State?

In FCS where they belong. We figured Sam Houston could beat them. I'm up for being wrong though.

IMHO, a good criteria to go by if any school is a contender or pretender of wanting to be in any future D1 conference re-alignment would be they having at least a 30,000 seat stadium; other-wise you are mixing too many true D2 schools with those who are D1 & might even one day entertain the idea of being the next Louisville or Boise State (both former conference-mates of North Texas I might add).  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

@Caw Caw, I've seen this Premiere League system articulated a few times on /r/cfb, and I fully endorse it here now as I have then. It would be a fantastic and fun system.

On 11/23/2016 at 6:36 PM, TripleGrad said:

And the 8 or 9 missing FBS teams?

Scheduling would be disastrous year to year, if teams are jumping in and out of conferences. 

I don't think the scheduling would be disastrous; you'd just be swapping the schedule of the team you're replacing.

Non-conference games could have added gravitas by playing between the P5-G5 divide as well.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2016 at 11:43 PM, GreenMachine said:

A for effort but F for not knowing the difference between the sound of an Eagle and a Crow.

On 11/24/2016 at 8:11 AM, Hunter Green said:

This.

I'm well aware. I chose this name because it puts old fuddy duddy fans like yourself on tilt. People showing up making this sound at the stadium is better than an empty seat.

200.gif#30

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

No, it just makes you sound like an idiot.

Yes a username on internet forum makes me sound like an idiot. The effect it has had on my life has rattled me to the bone. I think i'll sit here and rethink my life entirely because of this great point you have made. You are wise beyond human comprehension. Thy Davy Crockett inspired wisdom, cherry-picked from an internet quote site, has awakened me.

Edited by Caw Caw
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Yes a username on internet forum makes me sound like an idiot. The effect it has had on my life has rattled me to the bone. I think i'll sit here and rethink my life entirely because of this great point you have made. You are wise beyond human comprehension. Thy Davy Crockett inspired wisdom, cherry-picked from an internet quote sight, has awakened me.

You stated, " People showing up making this sound at the stadium is better than an empty seat." I simply contend that anyone making that sound at our games, is oblivious, and therefore, an idiot. I have no care or interest in what your username is. Go find your safe space. It will be alright.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

12 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

I'm well aware. I chose this name because it puts old fuddy duddy fans like yourself on tilt. People showing up making this sound at the stadium is better than an empty seat.

200.gif#30

Or maybe you just don't have a clue?

12 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

You stated, " People showing up making this sound at the stadium is better than an empty seat." I simply contend that anyone making that sound at our games, is oblivious, and therefore, an idiot. I have no care or interest in what your username is. Go find your safe space. It will be alright.

He needs a diaper pin?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4