IF UTSA wins and IF we get the Indy Bowl this is what I think is most likely:

• LaTech -> HoD
  • WKU -> Boca Raton
  • ODU -> Bahamas or Hawaii
  • MTSU -> Indy
  • USM -> New Orleans
  • UTSA -> New Mexico
  • North Texas -> Bahamas or Hawaii

If we don't get Indy, if UTSA loses, or if CUSA can trade the Hawaii Bowl to someone for a more central bowl, then things can get wacky.   The three bowls that are bolded above I think are almost locks.  

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I expect UTSA to win.  If they do the bowl eligible teams are:

• LaTech
  • WKU
  • ODU
  • MTSU
  • USM
  • UTSA
  • North Texas

The CUSA Bowl are:

• Boca Raton
  • Hawaii
  • New Mexico
  • Bahamas
  • New Orleans
  • Heart of Dallas
  • Indy (secondary)

IF UTSA wins and IF we get the Indy Bowl this is what I think is most likely:

• LaTech -> HoD
  • WKU -> Boca Raton
  • ODU -> Bahamas or Hawaii
  • MTSU -> Indy
  • USM -> New Orleans
  • UTSA -> New Mexico
  • North Texas -> Bahamas or Hawaii

If we don't get Indy, if UTSA loses, or if CUSA can trade the Hawaii Bowl to someone for a more central bowl, then things can get wacky.   The three bowls that are bolded above I think are almost locks.  

Yep. I bet they let ODU decide Bahamas or Hawaii first because geography and fan travel doesn't matter for either of us. Bahamas gets better TV ratings and payout, plus is a little bit closer. We likely would get stuck with Hawaii. 

7 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Indy bowl is more desirable and likely going to be open. Therefore a team like MTSU will argue hard for it and the conference/bowl committee will likely oblige. They don't fill the bowls based on rank of teams outside conference champion getting first pick. The other games, including secondary fill-ins such as Indy bowl, are just a pool all teams can fill. 

exactly...?

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

exactly...?

You're making it sound like they fill the 6 CUSA bowls with teams 1-6 in CUSA and then UNT (#7) gets Indy bowl. Maybe I misunderstood. I'm saying MTSU has a much better record and will have the better argument than us to be in Indy bowl. 

Just now, TreeFiddy said:

Bahamas or Hawaii hardly seems like punishment.  Plus, both bowls provide an extra week of practice over the other likely bowl destinations.  Outside of that performance today, really happy for the team.

i believe each team only gets 15 extra practices, no matter when your bowl is scheduled

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

You're making it sound like they fill the 6 CUSA bowls with teams 1-6 in CUSA and then UNT (#7) gets Indy bowl. Maybe I misunderstood. I'm saying MTSU has a much better record and will have the better argument than us to be in Indy bowl. 

What I am asking is when we go in with an APR exemption do we go on the list of CUSA teams that the conference has to place in its tie ins? So we get the Indy bowl? Would the 6 fully eligible teams not work it out amoungst the 7 spots and whatever is left just goes into the mixer with the other bowls looking for a spot. Maybe I'm not making sense. The question is are we technically tied to a CUSA tie in when we are going into the pot of teams just looking for a spot. 

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

What I am asking is when we go in with an APR exemption do we go on the list of CUSA teams that the conference has to place in its tie ins? So we get the Indy bowl? Would the 6 fully eligible teams not work it out amoungst the 7 spots and whatever is left just goes into the mixer with the other bowls looking for a spot. Maybe I'm not making sense. The question is are we technically tied to a CUSA tie in when we are going into the pot of teams just looking for a spot. 

If Indy bowl is available for us it is technically a CUSA tie-in. 6 bowl eligible CUSA teams, one alternate (UNT). They are all just one pool of CUSA bowls that the 7 teams fill. 

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

If Indy bowl is available for us it is technically a CUSA tie-in. 6 bowl eligible CUSA teams, one alternate (UNT). They are all just one pool of CUSA bowls that the 7 teams fill. 

I guess we will just see how it goes. Anything that keeps us out of the Bahamas or Hawaii I would take 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, THOR said:

any bowl...that is what matters for these boys...

Of course. But obviously somewhere that would allow a large amount of fans to travel is most ideal. The Bahamas or Hawaii would be great for the team but we would only have a couple thousand people at either. If that many. 

• Upvote 1

You tell these guys and show recruits the gifts they get from the bowl and the bowl suites.. its will def. help out in recruiting

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Of course. But obviously somewhere that would allow a large amount of fans to travel is most ideal. The Bahamas or Hawaii would be great for the team but we would only have a couple thousand people at either. If that many. 

while yes they would like to have people go.. its not UNTs job to fill the stadium, its the bowls job to do that. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

With so many posters on here acting all high and mighty, it sounds like most wouldn't go even if the game was in Dallas.  Maybe a far off destination is just what is needed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I guess we will just see how it goes. Anything that keeps us out of the Bahamas or Hawaii I would take 

I think I get what you were asking now. Indy bowl is technically a contracted bowl game for CUSA so it wouldn't apply there. I'm thinking Indy is now off the table anyways. But with a bowl like Arizona where we would be fill-in for another conference, I'm not sure how being an "alternate" vs a n actual bowl eligible team and all our conference bowls being filled up works. Maybe someone else can answer. I'd think it may help us yet Arizona or something other than Indy bowl.