Bowl and APR Situation

Cerebus

We won't get a CUSA bowl.   Right now I think the most likely for us Arizona vs Idaho.  HOWEVER... and I hate to even bring this up to you knee jerking maniacs... there is a dream scenario for us:

Las Vegas will be MWC #1 vs NOBODY right now because PAC12 can't fill it.   If LaTech wins CUSA, it sounds like they would be interested in taking that bowl game to play a top G5, it doesn't look like there is any chance for them to play a P5.

If they were to do that, HoD would want us over UTSA.  UTSA gets New Mexico, and we get HoD.  I think the chances are small, and zero if WKU wins.  

There is also  chance we get shipped out to Idaho, to play our old friends the CSU Rams.  Who happened to be the team we played the last time we got into a bowl game with 5 wins.  

ETA: The CUSA bowls I have a high degree of confidence in right now:

• USM -> New Orlenas
  • ODU -> Bahamas 
  • WKU -> Boca

One person in the Athletic Dept. Is saying it could be the Quick Lane Bowl played in Detroit at Ford Field on Dec. 26th at 2:30pm.

Ouch..,for me that would be a "no go" due to family Christmas commitments.  Would have to leave on Christmas Day at a minimum or the day before and spend Christmas in Detroit!  Yies! Detroit for Christmas!  

I have all fingers and toes crossed that it will not be a Detroit Dec. 26th game for lots of reasons...not the least of which the family Christmas and travel plan "messes" it could create for everyone.  Can you imagine what an airline ticket purchased this late for Tracpvel during the Christmas holiday travel season might be?  I do not even want to check...but then it is Detroit.  Who the heck would fly on purpose to Detroit in December?  Oh my......

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

One person in the Athletic Dept. Is saying it could be the Quick Lane Bowl played in Detroit at Ford Field on Dec. 26th at 2:30pm.

That would be a... hard sell to the wife.  At least in Tucson there is golf.  

I mean, I would make it happen, but I shudder to think what sort of terrible recompense I would owe her.... probably a Bridget Jones marathon.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we are going to be a hot commodity, but that's ok because we have to play somewhere.  Detroit on the day after Christmas would be one of the last places that anyone wants to play so you can rest assured our name will be thrown around as a candidate.

TheWren needs to try and work some magic.

Posted this in another thread, but to just keep all info in one thread:

First, it's really 75.  Army is only APR bowl qualified right now because they can't count Lafayette.  Which is why the did not apply for the 2 FCS win waiver.  But even if they aren't getting in the regular way, they can get in because they are #1 APR.

Second, there are still two teams that can qualify.  

• ULL by beating ULM and getting to 6-6.
  • USA by beating NMSU and getting to 6-6.

Either one of them winning will put them in line ahead of APR teams.  

• If Army, ULL, and USA all win there will be 78 bowl qualified teams, and the two APR teams will be NT and Miss St.
  • If Army loses, but ULL and USA win there will be 77 bowl qualified teams, and 3 APR teams: Army, NT, Miss St.
  • If Army loses, but one of ULL and USA win, there will be 76 bowl qualified teams, and 4 APR teams: Army, NT, Miss St. and Texas.
  • If Army, ULL and USA all lose there will be 75 bowl qualifierd teams, and the 5 APR teams are: Army,NT, Miss St, Texas, and NIU.

15 hours ago, THOR said:

Ulala and USA won today...if that matters

It means the last APR team will be Miss St.  The APR teams will either be:

• Army
  • North Texas
  • Miss. St.

if Army loses to Navy, or just us and Miss. St. if they beat Navy.

So the bowl lineup looks like this:

• WKU -> Boca
  • ODU -> Bahamas
  • MTSU -> Hawaii
  • USM -> New Orleans
  • UTSA -> New Mexico
  • LaTech -> ???
  • North Texas -> ???

The real question is where is LaTech going?  If we aren't trading a bowl, then how is LaTech not going to HoD?  They would need to be placed before North Texas, and every other bowl slot is filled in CUSA.  

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It means the last APR team will be Miss St.  The APR teams will either be:

• Army
  • North Texas
  • Miss. St.

if Army loses to Navy, or just us and Miss. St. if they beat Navy.

So the bowl lineup looks like this:

• WKU -> Boca
  • ODU -> Bahamas
  • MTSU -> Hawaii
  • USM -> New Orleans
  • UTSA -> New Mexico
  • LaTech -> ???
  • North Texas -> ???

The real question is where is LaTech going?  If we aren't trading a bowl, then how is LaTech not going to HoD?  They would need to be placed before North Texas, and every other bowl slot is filled in CUSA.  

My understanding of "placed before" is that it means if there is a team with a winning record, they have to be selected before one with even a 6-6 record. Seems obvious, but recently a 6-6 team jumped a 7-5 team in the Sun Belt I believe. Other than that, there is no true pecking order after #1. The bowls and conferences chose, and last but not least ESPN chooses.

14 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

My understanding of "placed before" is that it means if there is a team with a winning record, they have to be selected before one with even a 6-6 record. Seems obvious, but recently a 6-6 team jumped a 7-5 team in the Sun Belt I believe. Other than that, there is no true pecking order after #1. The bowls and conferences chose, and last but not least ESPN chooses.

There is a ranking to how teams BECOME bowl eligible. 

On 11/26/2016 at 11:59 PM, Cerebus said:

Bowl eligibility order is:

• Teams with 6 or more wins against FBS opponents.
  • Teams that get to 6-6 with one FCS win.
  • Teams that get to 6-6 with two FCS wins.
  • Teams that get to 6-7.
  • Teams that get to 5-7 based on APR order.

So we can't officially become bowl eligible until all the above teams are eligible and seated.  If we aren't eligible, HoD can't invite us.   What I am is saying is:

• If LaTech has no problem with not going to the HoD, and is willing to accept another bowl, no problem.
  • If LaTech REALLY wants to go to the HoD, for whatever reasons, then problem.

I know logically, you might think why would LaTech not want to go to a bowl game next door (Armed Forces) instead?  All I can say is they do not always think logically:

LaTech Dithers Until I-Bowl Changes Mind

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

ESPN posted updated bowl prognostications this morning:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18196837/college-football-bowl-projections-2016-season-heading-playoff

Has UNT in HOD vs Army

Yeah but they have LaTech in Boca Raton,  and WKU in the AFB.   

WKU has wanted Boca all along and Boca wants them.  So you're telling me we're going to stiff the conf champ in order to send the conference runner up to the bowl they wanted?

Doesn't make sense.   

I am hoping for LaTech->AFB and NT->HoD, but that depends on LaTech going with the program.

Both bowl officials in Dallas or Fort Worth know that with North Texas they could both have a huge collective sigh of relief because at least one complete side of their respective stadia would be full.

If we go to ACS in Cowtown what crowd we had at the 2014 HOD would fill 2/3'rds of that stadium. What a photo opp that would be.?✳️?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The Official 2016 Cerebus CUSA Bowl Lineup Total Guess™:

• WKU -> Boca
  • ODU -> Bahamas
  • MTSU -> Hawaii
  • USM -> New Orleans
  • UTSA -> New Mexico
  • LaTech -> Armed Forces
  • North Texas -> Heart of Dallas

Thank you for reading the 2016 Official CCBLTG.  

• WKU will play Memphis in Boca.
  • ODU will play Eastern Michigan in the Bahamas.
  • MTSU will play Hawaii in Hawaii.
  • USM will play ULL in No.
  • LaTech will play Navy in Ft. Worth.
  • North Texas will play Army in Dallas.

46 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

• WKU will play Memphis in Boca.
  • ODU will play Eastern Michigan in the Bahamas.
  • MTSU will play Hawaii in Hawaii.
  • USM will play ULL in No.
  • LaTech will play Navy in Ft. Worth.
  • North Texas will play Army in Dallas.

Intentionally left out UTSA? Id also accept 'they just aren't that memorable'.