2nd UNT Scrimmage Play by play

23 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

First team offense 3& out

Fine comes in second team offense 65yard bomb to called back for holding. 

1st and forever he moves the sticks.. this kid has a really nice ball!

Not sure who is #44 RB but he is shifty

Rutherford is impressive

Thanks for updates, wish I could have made it. I believe that #44 is true freshman Nic Smith.

• Upvote 1

Leaving now little one is getting to hot!!

Buyers has some decent hands he sniffs out the chains.

Fine seriously looked like our best option from what I saw today 

Oharra kid holds the ball to long.  

Morris & fine are clear cut one and two QB

Rutherford caught a lot of balls today and a touch down

First team offense looked shaky

First team defense looked good and fast.

Hopefully we never have to punt. Our deep snapper needs some work. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

First team offense 3& out

Fine comes in second team offense 65yard bomb to called back for holding. 

1st and forever he moves the sticks.. this kid has a really nice ball!

Not sure who is #44 RB but he is shifty

Rutherford is impressive

That's Nic Smith from Martin. He'll play this year he was Matins all time leading rusher I believe.  Which says a lot considering their stable of running backs throughout the years. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

That's Nic Smith from Martin. He'll play this year he was Matins all time leading rusher I believe.  Which says a lot considering their stable of running backs throughout the years. 

Smith is going to be goooood!

Smith looked good!! I at first was confused thinking it was Ivery but realized he wasnt that short.  I remembered that Ivery is TINY.  This RB was bigger, never even thought about it being Nic.

More info about the QB position:

According to Vito the first team offense got it going later in the day which i had already left prior to that happening.

Oharra kid looks like a kid that McCarney would have brought in.  (just going off his height)  Nothing he did (that i saw) was like wow glad we picked him up.  

He seemed dis-interested on the sideline.  During my years of coaching it always stood out to me the kids that were locked in or wanted to play always stood closest to the field.  Oharra stood in the back didnt stand by any coaches it was weird.  He holds on to the ball too long and missed some easy throws.  All of this could totally be chalked up to not understanding the offense so there is always that.  But it was quite clear who the number 2 guy was on Saturday.

Fine:

The kid is a baller.  HE LOOKS SUPER SMALL but he moves well.  Not sure how long he would last after a couple of hits from some D-lineman. 

He threw a seam route that was over the Linebackers but underneath the safety, it was a thing of beauty.  His deep ball is very accurate and for his size he can sling it.  His 65 yard bomb was a blown coverage by the defense but the WR didnt have to wait on the ball to arrive.  He threw some quick outs from 1 hash to the other side of the field.  That is a big time throw and the ball arrived on time.  Again durability would be my only thing that worries me about this kid.  He is Clearly the #2 QB on this roster.

Morris:

The dude is HUGE.  I would easily mistake him for a TE if i didnt know any better.  No question here about durability on shear size alone.  I read somewhere on this board that people say Fine has a better deep ball.  From what little i saw i would have to agree with this.  He had an opportunity for a 45 yard bomb but underthrew the WR.  The WR slowed down and made the catch but obviously did not score.  If he could have layed it out in front of him the wr would have walked in.  

Morris makes smart decisions and moves just well enough to pick up 3rd down conversions with his feet.  If nobody is open he throws the ball into the Tuba that was obviously taught at Alabama.  He seems like he takes control.  My wife who knows very little about football didnt like the way he carries himself on the sideline.  She stated that he is super cocky.  I mentioned to her that the kid has 2 National Championship rings (I think) and played for Alabama.  I will agree with her on the part that he carriers himself very confidently.  Which i am okay with if your game backs it up.  I am extremely grateful that we landed this kid, he gives Fine some time to mature but it looks like Fine will be the guy in 2017!

• Upvote 1

Scrimmage Recap:

OFFENSE

2: continues to play well at WR; strong possession guy who is getting better

3: played better this week than last; should have big season

4: Wyche is a stud

5: I'd give him a C for this scrimmage. Appeared to be guiding / aiming the ball early, and once he was benched for 6 to run with the 1's, he came back and cut it loose making some great throws to remind everyone of his arm ability

6: Very good progress from a week ago when he was inclined to pull it down and run. Stayed in there, and went through progressions. Has a great feel for the game

8: DNP - was held out

11: didn't notice him much

16: looked to be lost, but can definitely run (candidate for fastest on the team). I'd imagine he will settle in and contribute as the season progresses.

26: Looked solid

29: another solid day; effective in screen game

32: continues to make plays at WR

36: made some nice blocks in run and pass game

44: is going to be a nice player. runs hard, but needs to develop strength and agility in weight room

46: surprising had some great runs

O-Line: looked average at best

80: made a couple of nice plays, tall kid

81: seems to be a steady depth WR

82: DNP

83: had a couple of nice plays, and a couple of clear mistakes; is a good athlete for sure for a youngster

87: developing into a nice jumbo inside WR, he should have a great year

88: Pirtle is going to be pretty solid at this level; this was a nice pickup in recruiting

89: didn't stand out as much this week; but solid for sure

DEFENSE

2: is going to be a player; incredibly athletic

4: made some nice plays as a backup safety

5: looked better this week at LB

7: had a great scrimmage; repeatedly disruptive

9: Brooks is playing well, appears confident and matured from a year ago

10: made some nice plays on the edge / in the flats

15: showed up in the middle and did some good things

16: DNP, but was rehabbing and looks to be ready soon

17: had an okay day; did get off blocks and make some plays in run game

18: didn't notice Wheeler this week, may have been held out to rehab

21: had a good day

22: looked to be in a new position and more comfortable there

23: good day

27: looked good in the nickel spot near the LoS

30: making a nice recovery from injury; did some good things up front

32: solid - but missed some tackles against the shifty backs (4 and 29)

34: English played pretty well

36: this kid stood out - appears to be a real difference maker in the Nickel spot

39: had a really nice day at CB; good freshman

42: can really run out there; just sometimes appears to be lost

49: stud in the middle

50: appeared to be moved to the edge; kid is an absolute monster for a freshman

53: did some decent things at LB

56: had a good day opposite 7/30; rushed the passer and contained the run

90: played with great effort, going to help with depth this year

92: great looking frame; did some solid things up front

94: quick off the edge, but appears one dimensional (pass rush only)

97: big pickup here; can help spell Rod Young and be a run plugger

99: played hard, did some nice things

25 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

16: looked to be lost, but can definitely run (candidate for fastest on the team). I'd imagine he will settle in and contribute as the season progresses.

It'll be interesting to see the speed on this team the next couple of years with Hair-Griffin, Bussey, and Edwards. Speed kills, especially in this offense