MGB: Baker press conference/follow-up news tidbits

Brett Vito

Will wait for the end of basketball season.

Well, sh---

Also not a fan of this WB quote (I know it's the "nice/political" answer, but I still don't like it):

“Tony has a strong reputation and I want to step in and see what I can do to help him be successful,” Baker said. “After the end of the season, we will sit down and evaluate what we need to do going forward.”

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

9 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Well, sh---

Also not a fan of this WB quote (I know it's the "nice/political" answer, but I still don't like it):

“Tony has a strong reputation and I want to step in and see what I can do to help him be successful,” Baker said. “After the end of the season, we will sit down and evaluate what we need to do going forward.”

Oh would of been better to say I will fire him at the end of the season!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not surprised that there is no real change regarding the status of Benford.

I honestly don't expect him to be retained after this season barring a major improvement in wins and advancement in the conference tournament plus other post season play (such as the NCAA tournament or several rounds into the NIT).

16 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Not really sure what anyone else was expecting.  The Wren™ is only going to be able to replace so many people at a time.  He can either start cutting heads off and watch productivity plummet.  Or he can tell everyone they are getting a fair shake, getting best efforts from most people.  

Some people aren't going to even bother.  Those are an easy example to let go.   To be honest if Benford somehow turned this all around and got us to the Sweet 16 this year all would be forgiven right?  I don't hold any personal animus against anyone, if they can turn it around under new leadership then they can stay.  

For now I am willing to trust The Wren™ and let him run it like he wants to run it.  We have to trust he has a plan.  

48 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Well, sh---

So does Limburger and Kimchi!

Realistically, with the basic foundation being formed, Baker won't have time to do much on the basketball front but observe and take notes. We will know by late February or early March what will take place. But the writing may be on the wall in January. JMHO.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Not really sure what anyone else was expecting.  The Wren™ is only going to be able to replace so many people at a time.  He can either start cutting heads off and watch productivity plummet.  Or he can tell everyone they are getting a fair shake, getting best efforts from most people.  

Some people aren't going to even bother.  Those are an easy example to let go.   To be honest if Benford somehow turned this all around and got us to the Sweet 16 this year all would be forgiven right?  I don't hold any personal animus against anyone, if they can turn it around under new leadership then they can stay.  

For now I am willing to trust The Wren™ and let him run it like he wants to run it.  We have to trust he has a plan.  

I can both understand WB and still not like it.

I hope you ruined whatever device you were using when you suggested Benford making the Sweet 16. And no, I would not forgive him for destroying what was built before his arrival.

Much like Benford's old boss, I've seen all I need to see. He doesn't have 'it' and is unlikely to ever have 'it.

Wren is doing what he has to do, I get that, but still would have preferred RV to be gone early enough to allow a better timing of WB's hire and Benford decision. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Baker correctly answered every question.   

Only a fool would have answered that he has decided to cut employees before he officially starts.  Just because most of us have decided certain coaches and employees need to be replaced, that doesn't mean someone with the responsibility for those decisions will come to the same conclusion.  

I am sure that Baker is very aware of Benford's situation.   He may not be capable of being a HC, but he is much better than he was the first couple of years.  Somehow, despite his record; Benford has assembled potentially a very good team for the incoming year.   So the question becomes would a new coach be better with this team next year or Benford.  No one knows that answer, so at this point with a new AD and little time to make such a critical decision; it is best that Benford completes his contract.    

If Benford again fails, then Baker has adequate time to find the best replacement. 

Benford has shown us what in how many years?  Nothing!  We did not bring him on as an On The Job Training project.  To your point, I'm sure we'll keep him on to the end of his contract.  Even if he has a .500 season, he needs to go.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Let me put it like that: WB is not really in a position to fire Benford before the season. Even if WB thinks he will fire Benford mid conference play unless the team does markedly better than in seasons past, WB really is not in a position to say so, as that would accomplish nothing. And who knows, maybe the RV was the secret locker room cancer, not any of the players ;) . I sure don't feel like RV made any coaches drive for wins easier. Nobody will hold WB to it, if he says now, that he will look at it at the end of the season, and then says after 20 games, that he has seen enough. Believe me, people will forgive him for it. I sure would.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Benford has shown us what in how many years?  Nothing!  We did not bring him on as an On The Job Training project.  To your point, I'm sure we'll keep him on to the end of his contract.  Even if he has a .500 season, he needs to go.

Obviously, NT didn't hire him for on the job training; but that was four years ago.   I opined beginning after year one that he should be terminated and continued that after all four seasons.  RV did not chose to do so, for whatever reason.  

Benford has shown us that he can recruit, particularly when he has to recruit against his own sorry record.   Amounts to nothing, if he can't win; but still surprising to me. 

I think it will take a lot more than a .500 record for Benford to be retained.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Baker correctly answered every question.   

Only a fool would have answered that he has decided to cut employees before he officially starts.  Just because most of us have decided certain coaches and employees need to be replaced, that doesn't mean someone with the responsibility for those decisions will come to the same conclusion.  

I am sure that Baker is very aware of Benford's situation.   He may not be capable of being a HC, but he is much better than he was the first couple of years.  Somehow, despite his record; Benford has assembled potentially a very good team for the incoming year.   So the question becomes would a new coach be better with this team next year or Benford.  No one knows that answer, so at this point with a new AD and little time to make such a critical decision; it is best that Benford completes his contract.    

If Benford again fails, then Baker has adequate time to find the best replacement. 

Concur. Given the timing of the AD change and Benford's contract, this is the best for UNT. Plus, any coach that Baker would want will most likely not want to move until after this upcoming season is finished.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And then later states "when you know something is broken or needs to be changed, you make the change."

Well, that's a direct contradiction with keeping Benford employed.

Please don't blow smoke up our ass, Mr. Baker. We have had far too much of that for far too long.

EXTREMELY disappointing start.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 25

Basketball can be built (or rebuilt) very fast. With the right coach and a few good players, you can make serious improvement. It shouldn't take a real coach anytime to rebuild here.

This all boils down to this. Benford is here because RV is gone. It's that simple. RV's buyout came at the expense of Benford staying another season. And I'll take that trade everyday. RV could have made this place something. Instead, we fell apart at the absolute worst time possible--and the university's leadership let it happen until now. Whether it's too late it is a moot point is yet to be seen. But getting rid of RV, his AD employees, and any donor that viewed him more important than results had to happen. The attendance can't get much worse before you have to start looking at what level of play makes the most sense for your teams. That should be Baker's number one priority--getting butts in seats...

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And then later states "when you know something is broken or needs to be changed, you make the change."

Well, that's a direct contradiction with keeping Benford employed.

Please don't blow smoke up our ass, Mr. Baker. We have had far too much of that for far too long.

EXTREMELY disappointing start.

relax. He hasn't seen the problem. He needs to evaluate it on his own. Once he sees it in person, you'll get what you want/what we need. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1