UNT hires Missouri's Wren Baker as new athletic director

Harry

North Texas will hire Wren Baker as its athletics director, a person familiar with the process told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the school has not officially announced the hire.

Read more:. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2016/07/27/north-texas-hires-missouri-wren-baker-new-athletic-director/87618550/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-vDhOhlrHF1_78JUKWlqaGw

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Dan Wolken | USA TODAY Sports43 minutes ago

North Texas will hire Wren Baker as its athletics director, a person familiar with the process told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the school has not officially announced the hire.

Read more:. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2016/07/27/north-texas-hires-missouri-wren-baker-new-athletic-director/87618550/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-vDhOhlrHF1_78JUKWlqaGw

This is so sweet! I just can not say enough about PreZ Smak down. His leadership in handling the athletic department in such a short time has been outstanding! I am very excited with the changes!

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is awesome news. The best days of UNT athletics are ahead of us!! 

giphy (1).gif

• Upvote 5

I think one day we will look back at this hire along with SL as a very important day in the history of the program.  Extremely excited about the future of Mean Green Athletics!  Welcome Wren Baker! GMG!

"Pssst.  Hey buddy.  I've got some hot sports news."

"Yeah.  What is it ?"

"North Texas is going to hire Wren Baker.  They're going to announce it Friday."

"That's great.  I'm really pleased.  By the way, who are you ?"

"Sorry pal.  I can only speak on condition of anonymity."

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Big time hire, and a huge signal that this admin isn't messing around   

I'll be interested to see the financials once Vito gets a hold of them.    I think I saw somewhere that WB was making just under what RV was making last year.  

Wonder if the salary jumps quite a bit from RV last year to WB this year, or if WB is just happy taking a small increase while being the head guy now.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll be interested to see the financials once Vito gets a hold of them.    I think I saw somewhere that WB was making just under what RV was making last year.  

Wonder if the salary jumps quite a bit from RV last year to WB this year, or if WB is just happy taking a small increase while being the head guy now.

If want to be big time, we've got to pay big time. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Mac's base salary was 600k. Littrell's is 725k.

I'd imagine he'll be making quite a bit more than 300k

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

or @Maduro

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Saw WB $230--- RV $300k..this put his comp in the middle of the pack for D1 ADs! At 37 will he b the youngest D1 AD?? Where is the research dept?

• Upvote 1

I would suggest a decent increase in base pay, and make it competitive within CUSA. Then, load that contract with incentives. This is a young, energetic guy and he understands pay for performance. Let him make a LOT of money if he brings home the bacon!

Caveat: Feathering your own nest by extending the current basketball coach should not be one of those incentives.

12 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Oddly enough that's Apogee in the background, so I guess we're using old field goal wraps?

Makes sense yo use them at the practice field, I mean they're not broken or anything. But still they need to go...

Straight into my living room. Hey Hank, I'll give ya $50!

• Upvote 1