THSCA Coaches Convention (Nate Brown)

GMG24

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

You are representing NT this week, Brandon?

GMG

Unfortunately, couldn't foot the hotel bill and food/beverage bill once we got back from vacation. I'm scheduling it for next summer for sure. 

I've got the UNT representation. Ran into Brandon Jackson here too.

UNT's got a great presence here. Lots of energy. Sat next to Brandin Byrd at the Sonny Dykes section. Ran into Giovanni Vizza as well.

Can't say enough good things about UTSA's Frank Wilson. He's going to do big things. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

UNT's got a great presence here. Lots of energy. Sat next to Brandin Byrd at the Sonny Dykes section. Ran into Giovanni Vizza as well.

Can't say enough good things about UTSA's Frank Wilson. He's going to do big things. 

Really hate to hear this.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Really hate to hear this.

Why? A strong conference raises all ships. If you have 4 really good teams in conference UNT beats, that's only going to help them move up. By the way, it looks like the UH AD met with PAC 12 officials (Houston Chronicle). No word on the discussion content, but I can guess.

Edited by UTSA Fan
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

People said the same about Dodge and Mac.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

People said the same about Dodge and Mac.

Had Dodge brought in some college assistants and not an entire HS staff (almost) he'd still be here making serious $. 

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Had Dodge brought in some college assistants and not an entire HS staff (almost) he'd still be here making serious $. 

Brother,

Coordinators don't send the FG unit in on 4th & 1, call a TO, bring the offense out, call another TO & send the FG unit back out, only to have it blocked & returned for a TD because no one knew what the heck was going on.

i saw it with my own eyes.

he needed to climb the ladder under some other great coaches.  QB coach, OC, then HC.  Then maybe he'd do well.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Brother,

Coordinators don't send the FG unit in on 4th & 1, call a TO, bring the offense out, call another TO & send the FG unit back out, only to have it blocked & returned for a TD because no one knew what the heck was going on.

he needed to climb the ladder under some other great coaches.  QB coach, OC, then HC.  Then maybe he'd do well.

I hear you, and I don't disagree.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Agree.

Hard to believe this as bad as things were for us to watch those four years,...but in Dodge' last two years his team's lost 10 games by 8 points or less.

In '09 alone.....he lost 5 games by 4 points or less,...and 6 games by 7 points or less.

Rick

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Brother,

... #triggered.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It wasn't so much the drug testing as it was using University email to notify the president about it.

Rick

I really don't think any other hc in the nation would be naive enough to test the whole team.  I think that was one of reasons of that complete disaster at Rice the following week. 

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Dodge make two horrible rookie mistakes, the one you identified and the decision to drug test the entire team.  Both approved by RV.   

And our so-called experienced athletic director allowed both to happen.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Brother,

i saw it with my own eyes..

Actually.....the kick was blocked and recovered by Army at their 38 yard line.  Then the very next play they busted it 55 yards to the North Texas 7...and punched it in two plays later with 1:43 to play in the game.

image.png

For me,...while sitting on a 13-10 lead....the MOST sickening part of that series was the 3rd and 1 at the Army 12 yard line with 3:06 to go.

Two plays earlier with the clock running we had just handed it of to Dunbar...Twice.  

Once for 3 yards.....and another for 6.  Now it's 3rd and 1 at the Army 12 with 3:20 to go and counting down.  

Dunbar had just got us 9 yards in two plays on the ground...proving to me that Army couldn't stop him and was just about done.

But what does the coach call?  A dumbass roll out by the son that results in a 4 yard loss....because the coach is so infatuated with the forward pass that he forgets he has one of the nation's best running backs dominating the game at that point and mistakingly fails to take advantage of game situation and the advantage afforded to him.  In the very least....as soon as Dunbar is tackled on the 2nd and 7 to the 12 he should have gone right back under center and quick snapped for short yardage and put the game away.  But as Dodge had proven the two previous years time and time again....he refused to use an under center play for any situation.  The very first year I stated how this irritated the shit out of me and how it would come back to bite us in the ass and it did.

Then he called the timeout to talk about it.

Then another timeout to ice his own kicker who had already missed an extra point and a short field goal attempt earlier in the game.

Then the block and recovery by Army.

It was possibly the most sickening series of events I've ever seen.  But most importantly to now...why I'm scared to death for what we are about to watch in our next venture into the world of pass happiness,...and why I hope and pray Littrell will know when to take advantage of a suffocating ground game when it is afforded him.

Rick  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Actually.....the kick was blocked and recovered by Army at their 38 yard line.  Then the very next play they busted it 55 yards to the North Texas 7...and punched it in two plays later with 1:43 to play in the game.

image.png

Thanks for the correction FFR.   My eyes are getting older and more forgetful of bad football.

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I really don't think any other hc in the nation would be naive enough to test the whole team.  I think that was one of reasons of that complete disaster at Rice the following week. 

This.  I suffered through three quarters of that game in the post- Hurricane Ike sauna before I finally threw in the towel.

49 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Actually, I though he was talking about the Ohio game at Fouts when Frank Solich out-coached Dodge.  Something similar happened, I can't remember the details.

15 minutes ago, Stix said:

This.  I suffered through three quarters of that game in the post- Hurricane Ike sauna before I finally threw in the towel.

Actually, I though he was talking about the Ohio game at Fouts when Frank Solich out-coached Dodge.  Something similar happened, I can't remember the details.

Actually, if I can recall that one correctly (again, hazy), we had a chance to win that game but Jamaal Jackson dropped a game-winning TD pass from Tune that hit him square in the numbers.  If Riley didn't get hurt (how many times could we say that?), that game would have been a win.

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Actually, if I can recall that one correctly (again, hazy), we had a chance to win that game but Jamaal Jackson dropped a game-winning TD pass from Tune that hit him square in the numbers.  If Riley didn't get hurt (how many times could we say that?), that game would have been a win.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad