MGB: Ryan Rentfro has elected to leave the program, roster update

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Thanks for the info.  That is good news.

That's what I gathered from Littrells comments about "guys who missed this spring took care of their academics" 

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2016 at 3:37 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You are assuming that Willy Ivery will be back in the fall.

Yes, I am.  I suppose that hangs on the fact that he has not been removed from the roster as yet.  He qualified, spent two years on the roster, and I believe is capable of righting his academic ship.

Guys, this year is going to be tough. We simply don't have the depth we need and I fear we will tend to fade in games as we get to the 4th quarter. Throw in the fact that the guys will be learning a new offense and defense and the recipe for a 1 or 2 win season is there. One thing we do have is hope. I think Littrell is the right man for the job but it is going to take time to get where we want to be. We will all have to be patient and take our lumps. Anything over 2 wins will be gravy to me. THAT is the sad state that this program has been left in. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/15/2016 at 6:09 PM, untjim1995 said:

This bunch quit on the university and gave us the ignominious glory of suffering the worst loss in modern college history.

Sure let's blame the kids.

On 7/15/2016 at 6:09 PM, untjim1995 said:

Only game we should win is Butt Cookman--and that may very well be close because of our low scholarship player totals on the roster.

Their school name is:

BETHUNE COOKMAN.

It won't be as funny calling them that if they whoop our butt at home. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

14 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Fun fact, Bethune Cookman  had 2 losses last year.  Portland State had 3.

While I'm all for trash talk, it has its place.

The casual attitude shows that we're looking past them, while we have no basis to do so.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

While I'm all for trash talk, it has its place.

The casual attitude shows that we're looking past them, while we have no basis to do so.

19 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Yep.  I suspect we will have our hands full.

Agree! I know they are a quality team. I have trash-talked them in other threads, but that was just for fun. Any of us that don't respect them will be sorry. We can not afford to take any opponent lightly this year. We could have another Portland State on our hands, except for the "quit factor". He has not yet coached a game but I sense that woe be unto anyone who quits on Coach Littrell.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

If Littrell loses to Cookman, he's not the man for the job.

Tired of excuses.

Without looking I would guess that Cookman has equal to more talent than we do.  Remember we are well under our 85 max scholarships with around 68-69.  FCS schools can have 63? Then take into account the level of our recruiting lately and that FCS schools get more and better P5 transfers.  I would not be surprised in the least if we lose this game. 

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

We barely took the field last year against PSU. That was a protest game where the team acted as though they were at a funeral (they were, a funeral for Mac's coaching career). 

I can't think of one position where we aren't as good or better than last year. We will have a tremendously better offensive philosophy and the biggest reason, THE BIGGEST REASON we aren't going to get smoked by another FCS school this year.........

69511544.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

We barely took the field last year against PSU. That was a protest game where the team acted as though they were at a funeral (they were, a funeral for Mac's coaching career). 

I can't think of one position where we aren't as good or better than last year. We will have a tremendously better offensive philosophy and the biggest reason, THE BIGGEST REASON we aren't going to get smoked by another FCS school this year.........

69511544.jpg

THANK YOU.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Who lines corner up 10 yards off the ball, and doesn't blitz the qb?

Chris Cosh.....

Here's the mindset I don't understand sometimes with people:

Do you think lining up at the line of scrimmage and blitzing would have been any different, given the talent on the roster...and, that the DC hadn't recruited any of the talent on the roster?

Not defending Cosh, by any stretch.  But, sometimes coaches are doing what they are doing because of the (lack of) talent on the roster/group they inherit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

That could have been the logic, but it was painful watching his defense last year. I can't help but bash his coaching style. Not too mention he was the defensive coordinator of the Kansas State team that we scored 41 points on. I think Lance rushed for almost 300 yards that game. 

4 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

I suppose it's a fun fact, but Portland State had 2 victories over FBS teams.  Bethune-Cookman had none.  Portland State beat, or at least were competitive with, some of the best teams in FCS.  Bethune-Cookman played a cupcake schedule even by FCS standards, other than their 45-0 loss to Miami.  Portland State and Bethune-Cookman were not in the same stratosphere last year.  So while I'm not saying anyone should look past B-C, similar results to last year's thrashing at the hands of Portland State should cause fans to question the coaching hire.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

69511544.jpg

Cosh gets beat up on here, and he probably deserves it, but the offense was much worse than the defense.  The defense had good games vs UTEP, UTSA, Tenn...and had some moments vs marshall, rice, and smu.  

The offense had zero moments and zero good games.  

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Without looking I would guess that Cookman has equal to more talent than we do.  Remember we are well under our 85 max scholarships with around 68-69.  FCS schools can have 63? Then take into account the level of our recruiting lately and that FCS schools get more and better P5 transfers.  I would not be surprised in the least if we lose this game. 

Glad to see we already have built in excuses. No excuse to lose to FCS that isn't NDSU, ever. They would kill for the resources we get and the support. 

No excuse. None. Cookman should be a 30 point easy matchup.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Aldo said:

Sure let's blame the kids.

Their school name is:

BETHUNE COOKMAN.

It won't be as funny calling them that if they whoop our butt at home. 

Look, I came up with the name Butt Cookman not out of disrespect to a team that stands a very good chance to beat UNT at home, but as a way to demonstrate UNT is playing home games against teams their fans have never heard of and don't care about. 

Get it? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2