Very Quiet Concerning AD Search

I wonder if the Athletic Department audit conducted by Trip and Sicuro is complete and submitted to the President yet? You can certainly bet that there won't be any hiring done until this part is completed. 

With that being said, 90, wouldn't you think that the department audit's findings would find a lot of glaring holes or places for opportunities? Consequently the 2nd guy in command wouldn't be considered to lead things forward in a new direction, right? Isn't that good business, and in reality, isn't the Athletic Department essentially a $35,000,000ish business? I think that's how I'd look at it, given that these two gentlemen are business leaders. 

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 3

The consultants said that the audit will not be finished and the final summary sent to Smatresk until sometime around August/September.  I can't remember exact date, but definitely was not anytime during July.  However, they said they would have some preliminary findings/notes that they would share before the final version.

19 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

The consultants said that the audit will not be finished and the final summary sent to Smatresk until sometime around August/September.  I can't remember exact date, but definitely was not anytime during July.  However, they said they would have some preliminary findings/notes that they would share before the final version.

They said Smatresk wanted an AD hire in July. Said it plain as day.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

I think the search committee is keeping things under wraps and that is part of what they are paid to do. ADs from smaller schools and assistant ADs on our level probably don't want their names out there in a search. I wouldn't read anything into the fact that we haven't heard any names on a short list. We will all know soon enough.

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

They said Smatresk wanted an AD hire in July. Said it plain as day.

I'd rather they take their time and find the right guy, than rush the hire to just get him here in July.  I'm betting Smatresk agrees.   Maybe he was being too aggressive with that original timeframe and has since conceded it wont be that soon.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I don't think it is vital to have the audit/summary complete to choose the new AD. I think the summary may be more along the lines of coming up with a laundry list of things for the new AD to fix. I also remember the July time-frame mentioned by Smatty.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd rather they take their time and find the right guy, than rush the hire to just get him here in July.  I'm betting Smatresk agrees.   Maybe he was being too aggressive with that original timeframe and has since conceded it wont be that soon.

Just telling what Trip Keune and Sicuro told the audience at the meeting.

I don't think they would make that statement if the time frame wasnt Rock solid. They know the issues of the constant lying to this fan base by the last AD. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Just telling what Trip Keune and Sicuro told the audience at the meeting.

I don't think they would make that statement if the time frame wasnt Rock solid. They know the issues of the constant lying to this fan base. 

Was the statement: "we/pres. Smatresk WOULD LIKE TO HAVE the hire in place by mid-late July"?

or was it: "we/pres. Smatresk WILL DEFINITELY HAVE the hire in place by mid-late July"?

Huge difference, and one of the two statements should not be considered "lying to the fan base".

• Upvote 4

As I recall, it was a pretty definite statement. Something along the lines of "wants it done in July." 

I also don't think either Keune or Sicuro goes anywhere near a date if the weren't certain about the time frame.

Keep in mind this search has most likely been going on since April. The audit began in May.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

8 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I don't think it is vital to have the audit/summary complete to choose the new AD. I think the summary may be more along the lines of coming up with a laundry list of things for the new AD to fix. I also remember the July time-frame mentioned by Smatty.

The potential AD may want before he accepts or declines.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Was the statement: "we/pres. Smatresk WOULD LIKE TO HAVE the hire in place by mid-late July"?

or was it: "we/pres. Smatresk WILL DEFINITELY HAVE the hire in place by mid-late July"?

Huge difference, and one of the two statements should not be considered "lying to the fan base".

Is there a dead date for an AD to be hired? I don't think so. Maybe before the start of school?

• Upvote 1

The question above I was responding to  wasn't regarding when the hire would be made.  The question I was responding to was when the audit was going to be completed and submitted. 

As far as the hire goes, I recall Trip saying something along the lines of hoping to have something done by July 15th, but don't recall he said anything about a drop dead time frame.  I also remember Trip saying that he and Sicuro were not making the hire or performing the search.  The search/screening/interview process was being handled by the search firm and that Smatresk and Ryan would be the primary decision makers.  At least that's what I remember.  Slept since then though.

Edited by TreeFiddy

The audit and the AD search are two separate things. I would think a complete financial and procedural audit of the athletic department would take longer than the search for a new athletic director, but I'm not certain about that. I would also think the results of the audit are for both the administration AND the new AD to figure out where best to start. We can all make our guesses, but an audit should give tangible proof of where to go.

The timing of RV's removal implies a desire to get things done over the summer when less athletic activity is going on. There is no time when there is none - at least there SHOULDN'T be. School starts again in August so planning for the new AD to be hired in July makes sense. That's not rushing things, that's getting the replacement in place during the period when the fewest decisions need to be made. 

Frankly I'd be far more worried about the process is there WERE announcements as  that would show the process has been compromised. 

• Upvote 2