MGB: UNT picks up JC quarterback

Brett Vito

Nice pickup in case of injury and such. Anyone know how many ships we've got left in case of Baylor? We must be nearing our limit.

"The Mean Green have Alabama transfer Alec Morris ready to go this fall, but don’t have much behind him at all.

UNT could play Morris this fall, have O’Hara as an insurance policy and then move him into the starting lineup in 2017."

Not much Shanbour love there at all. The tallness factor strikes again. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I guess the conventional wisdom is to recruit high school players and develop talent, slowly building a formidable team. I like the way this coaching staff seems to have a "win now" attitude by loading up with JUCOs who seem to have the ability to play now. I suspect they will recruit fewer in the next year.

Their attitude reminds me of this:

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

The JUCO heavy focus tells me one thing.  Littrell came in, took at look at this roster, and saw that McCarney had given up in recruiting a while ago

This is spot on. Mac said it himself at Rudy's, recruiting was too hard for him. I'm happy Littrell spotted it right away as any casual observer has over the past couple of seasons.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

Nice pickup in case of injury and such. Anyone know how many ships we've got left in case of Baylor? We must be nearing our limit.

"The Mean Green have Alabama transfer Alec Morris ready to go this fall, but don’t have much behind him at all.

UNT could play Morris this fall, have O’Hara as an insurance policy and then move him into the starting lineup in 2017."

Shanbour is a walkon. There's a big difference between giving a walkon a chance and banking on him being your backup this year and starter next year. That's a dangerous strategy.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTexas said:

This is spot on. Mac said it himself at Rudy's, recruiting was too hard for him. I'm happy Littrell spotted it right away as any casual observer has over the past couple of seasons.

That comment is when Mac lost me.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

Vito be like...

giphy.gif

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Shanbour is also a person that has absolutely worked his ass off to get where he is. At the end of spring he was officially listed as the second team QB. Seems to me that he at least deserves to have his name mentioned instead of this........

"The Mean Green have Alabama transfer Alec Morris ready to go this fall, but don’t have much behind him at all."

This is Vito solidifying his own personal opinion. It's unbearable when writers do stuff like this and Vito has a knack of doing it pretty often. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 9

My take is that even if Shanbour and Fine turn out to be the players we hope (and have some reason to believe) they will be, this team was very thin at quarterback, especially since the stated offensive philosophy involves more passing than it has in recent memory.  This commitment gives us someone who has seen the field at the college level within the last year.  Since this staff hasn't talked about quarterbacks other than Morris, Shanbour, and Fine, I think they see O'Hara as the 4th quarterback that any program needs, and as someone with a serious chance of starting against SMU, especially since they probably want to redshirt Fine.

And I don't see this as a give up on Shanbour, just a realistic move for a team that lost, and won't miss, all 3 starting quarterbacks after a one win season.  At this point, I'm getting excited; at this time last year, we had two quarterbacks that most of us realized couldn't hack it at this level and couldn't throw the ball downfield, and one question mark.  This year, we have four question marks, all of whom, by appearances can throw the ball downfield.  I'll take those "unknowns", compared to our previous "knowns".

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I dont see this as a negative against Shanbour or Fine, but i do see it as a negative towards chumley or means. It just shows they wont mean (no pun intended) much at the QB position and that we needed some depth and competition at the QB spot.

Agreed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see both Means and Chumley being moved to other positions. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Shanbour is a walkon. There's a big difference between giving a walkon a chance and banking on him being your backup this year and starter next year. That's a dangerous strategy.

Yeah, but that "walkon" label can be a fine line, since Shanbour had a Colorado offer before their coach left, and O'Hara very well could have ended up an FBS walkon himself had we not picked him up. I'm pretty much a Morris guy as starter at this point, but I still feel like Shanbour has shown enough to deserve some respect. Regardless, I'm glad we picked up O'Hara.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

I will get a zillion negatives for this, but what's with the Shanbour obsession? I'm sure he's a great kid, but he hasn't proven that he could be considered as a starter. Therefore if he is our second string QB, then Vito is right in saying we don't have much after Morris. Sorry but the truth hurts.

So what QB has truly proven that he should be our starter? A guy who threw a pass at Alabama? Believe me, I'm not a Shanbour "obsessionist" in any way, but I'm thinking that absolutely no one on this roster has proven that they should automatically be considered an FBS starter. For the most part, it kind of looks like we're going on high school film and accolades at this point. At least for those of us on the outside who are looking at it from the armchair perspective.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

So what QB has truly proven that he should be our starter? A guy who threw a pass at Alabama? Believe me, I'm not a Shanbour "obsessionist" in any way, but I'm thinking that absolutely no one on this roster has proven that they should automatically be considered an FBS starter. For the most part, it kind of looks like we're going on high school film and accolades at this point. At least for those of us on the outside who are looking at it from the armchair perspective.

Morris may not have played a ton while at Alabama, but he nearly won the starting position battle last year. That in and of itself proves he can be an FBS QB.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

I can tell you what I know from an Alabama obsessed dude I work with, Morris has the goods.  The only knock on him was his arm strength according to the Tide lover. Apparently he was leading the competition for the starting spot as of 20150824 (http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-alec-morris-now-leading-alabama-quarterback-competition/)

He said he makes good decisions and is used to playing against one of the best defenses on pretty much a daily basis as the scout team quarterback.  He believes that Morris could be an all C-USA quarterback.  This is from a dude who lives and dies off of Alabama football.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1